Champions in Shirlington, VA

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Champions in Shirlington tonight (as I do now and then) and was surprised to see that they have a Saturday night free pool special. Buy $10 worth of food or beer and play free from 6:00 to close! That's certainly the best deal I've seen in the DC area. I think that on Sundays they run a $5 play till 6:00 and $5 play from 6:00 till close.

They've got 4 double-shimmed gold crowns, and 16-18 other tables (about half Olhausen and half Brunswick). All seem to be well-maintained.

This Monday, they are starting a 1-pocket league. 3 best of three (or maybe race to 3) races -- two singles matches and 1 scotch doubles match, and no greens fees. I'm in, Mapman is in, I hear Pookie is in, and others I don't know are also playing. It would be great to see some other people from the DC area show up to support a place that's running some great deals and appears to be trying to do a lot for players. I suspect there will be a pretty wide range of speeds in the league so it would be a good way to learn 1 pocket if you don't already know the game. If you already know it, then you'll also have some solid competition.

FYI, there is a new owner as of last December and he seems excited about building up good leagues and tournaments. I haven't played him yet, but I hear he shoots decent, too.

Cory

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might try too. Any idea how long it will run? Handicapping?

Cory in DC said:
I went to Champions in Shirlington tonight (as I do now and then) and was surprised to see that they have a Saturday night free pool special. Buy $10 worth of food or beer and play free from 6:00 to close! That's certainly the best deal I've seen in the DC area. I think that on Sundays they run a $5 play till 6:00 and $5 play from 6:00 till close.

They've got 4 double-shimmed gold crowns, and 16-18 other tables (about half Olhausen and half Brunswick). All seem to be well-maintained.

This Monday, they are starting a 1-pocket league. 3 best of three (or maybe race to 3) races -- two singles matches and 1 scotch doubles match, and no greens fees. I'm in, Mapman is in, I hear Pookie is in, and others I don't know are also playing. It would be great to see some other people from the DC area show up to support a place that's running some great deals and appears to be trying to do a lot for players. I suspect there will be a pretty wide range of speeds in the league so it would be a good way to learn 1 pocket if you don't already know the game. If you already know it, then you'll also have some solid competition.

FYI, there is a new owner as of last December and he seems excited about building up good leagues and tournaments. I haven't played him yet, but I hear he shoots decent, too.

Cory

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory in DC said:
FYI, that room is owned by a group of partners, not just one person.

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
Nope.....

Cory in DC said:

Cory

....WC can't shoot a lick!!!:D ;)

J/K get out to Champions and support a couple of pool players who are trying to make it as room owners.

Best of luck to you both!!!

MM

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
I might try too. Any idea how long it will run? Handicapping?

I don't think there's any handicapping planned right now. I think the owner that I talked to (apparently, there are 2 or more) did mention that Mondays are slow enough that he can give out extra tables to the league players. So if it gets too backed up, a match could be played on 2 tables at the same time.

I would guess that three best-of-three races would take about 3 hours. But then I really like to shoot at my hole. Put an uptable player or two into the mix and it could drag on. This seems like a work in progress that they will update and adjust as needed.

Also, if anyone is looking for me there, I won't get there till about 9:00 or so. But I hope to see some AZBers there.

Cory

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
alinco said:
WL plays ok. I wonder who's the favorite between WC and WL?
Andy

If they own the room, why are we using code names? I think they lost any low profile they may have maintained by owning a pool room.

-Andrew

mapman72

This league should be fun and perfect for good 8/9 ball players who suck at one pocket but are looking to improve. I think I fit in that category :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mapman72 said:
This league should be fun and perfect for good 8/9 ball players who suck at one pocket but are looking to improve. I think I fit in that category :)

opssshhhhaaawwww.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
If they own the room, why are we using code names? I think they lost any low profile they may have maintained by owning a pool room.

-Andrew

Dunno! I was just copying the message style I was replying to. They aren't undercover...Willis Lam and Wai Cho Yee play about the same. It's been a while since I've seen either play though...

Andy