Cue Collecting Advice

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey All,

General question about cue collecting and hopeing someone out there can give me some sound advice.

I've played pool for years, was forced to take a break for a while, and started playing again, but at the same time I've always admired the different designs of people's cues, and wanted to start a modest collection. I've looked at literally THOUSANDS of different cues and am haveing one made for me.

Question is - What is the best way to start a collection, and what cue makers are worth collecting, buying/trading, and just holding onto w/o any play time (for investment purposes)?

I would appreciate any and ALL advice on this..... Thanks in advance.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Collection Advise

Collect what ever you like, rarity, brand, style, even colors and materials you like in a cue, but 1st spend some time getting educated. Buy a 3rd Edition of the Blue Book of Cues (retail $39.95...I've got a new one available for $25)....read, read, read any and all articles, books, etc. INCLUDING the AZ FORUM....it has more "experts" giving freely of the knowledge for anyone, including you, to read. Most even will accept an e-mail asking specific questions.

Oh....I forgot, only buy (invest) what you can afford. It's easy to buy and hard to sell !!!

Good Luck !

Hey All,

General question about cue collecting and hopeing someone out there can give me some sound advice.

I've played pool for years, was forced to take a break for a while, and started playing again, but at the same time I've always admired the different designs of people's cues, and wanted to start a modest collection. I've looked at literally THOUSANDS of different cues and am haveing one made for me.

Question is - What is the best way to start a collection, and what cue makers are worth collecting, buying/trading, and just holding onto w/o any play time (for investment purposes)?

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cool.... i will go and get one later on today. Is it anything like the KBB for cars or is it more informative than that?

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Collect what ever you like, rarity, brand, style, even colors and materials you like in a cue, but 1st spend some time getting educated. Buy a 3rd Edition of the Blue Book of Cues (retail $39.95...I've got a new one available for $25)....read, read, read any and all articles, books, etc. INCLUDING the AZ FORUM....it has more "experts" giving freely of the knowledge for anyone, including you, to read. Most even will accept an e-mail asking specific questions.

Oh....I forgot, only buy (invest) what you can afford. It's easy to buy and hard to sell !!!

Good Luck !

What kind of info is in the Blue Book of Cues?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey All,

there is no right or wrong, buy what you like and enjoy them. Its not a contest to see who has the most etc.

as far as investments are concerned yes its possible to make $$$ owning the right cues, there are only a few cue makers this applies to. And like anytime you have to buy right to make $$$, or hold on to them for along time.

Some cue makers fall out of favor for what ever reason and if you bought cues that are falling out of favor, get out of them earily. I have made and lost $$ on cues. I could make more on them with what I know-but I'm not interested in turning cue collecting into a business.

just hang out here and read read read, look at the cue section, the gallery ask the cue maker and reviews of cues. it takes along time to learn about cues,but the curve inst steep its long, I still learn things about cues all the time and I been around this since 85.

One rule of thumb is forget production cues and Chinese made cues. I have some production cues for my own reasons but they have little value.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concur with everyone who has said do some research first. Become familiar with cues that you like, then become an expert on them by reading as much as possible. It is always better to have a few high quality cues than to have an abundance of lower quality cues. I also agree with stay within what you can afford. Don't over reach, it can get messy really quick.

I, myself, have a few production cues, but they were what I started with and have just held onto for sentimental reasons. As for the rest of my collection, they are all customs. The only time I buy production is to give as gifts in hopes of getting more friends and family involved in the game.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool...... Those are the type of answers I'm looking for. I'm very new to this site, and have been looking in the buy/sell section and have seen prices all over the board. Where do you suggest I go and look up info about the different cue makers cause they all claim they're the "best" around. I think thats all a bunch of fluff, and short of trying to get a poll together (who knows where to post something like that), for recommendations on who makes an accurate hitting cue vs one that has a softer/solid feel cause everything is so subjective and personal.

I have a ginacue being made for me (Ernie was VERY HIGHLY recommended to me by several people), but I found out that his reputation precedes his cues, not only in quality but in the consistency of hit. After a friend of mine let me play with his Ginacue, I can't wait for mine to be finished (but that will take some time), and even thinking about ordering another one from him in the interim. I'm not looking to make a business out of this, but to have some good solid cues that will appreciate in value as time goes on, so it gives me to opportunity to trade up and if I so choose to sell and buy something better/more intricate design. For the most part, I'm more for elegance and playability, not really for the showiness and expense of a lot of Ivory. But for collection purposes, I wouldn't mind having a box cue or two, or a JossWest, or fancy Arthur Queue (as examples).

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
This is the wrong time to start collecting for investment purpose. There might not be another good time again.

That being said , my advice is to only buy stuff you really like and enjoy regardless of what it may be worth in the future. That's a universal collecting truth IMO and the only way to always be happy with what you have bought.

That's my .02 , free of charge. :)

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first came back after 8 years, I got a production cue (regular Joss), but have moved to the custom cues not that long ago. Started out with a Woodworth, and ordered a Ginacue (thinking about ordering another one that would just be a player like a 19A with some nice rings). Where can I go to read about the different cue makers to get a more objective viewpoint - there HAS to be a section here, just haven't found it yet. Bit I would NEVER play with a production cue again..... certainly not one made in China... LOL!! I would give them as a gift, but with a custom cue I can have it made to my specks, regardless if I was going to sell it later down the line or keep it and play with it.

I concur with everyone who has said do some research first. Become familiar with cues that you like, then become an expert on them by reading as much as possible. It is always better to have a few high quality cues than to have an abundance of lower quality cues. I also agree with stay within what you can afford. Don't over reach, it can get messy really quick.

I, myself, have a few production cues, but they were what I started with and have just held onto for sentimental reasons. As for the rest of my collection, they are all customs. The only time I buy production is to give as gifts in hopes of getting more friends and family involved in the game.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make a very good point.... especially in regards to being "happy with what you bought," SO TRUE..... SO TRUE.

This is the wrong time to start collecting for investment purpose. There might not be another good time again.

That being said , my advice is to only buy stuff you really like and enjoy regardless of what it may be worth in the future. That's a universal collecting truth IMO and the only way to always be happy with what you have bought.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Very cool...... Those are the type of answers I'm looking for. I'm very new to this site, and have been looking in the buy/sell section and have seen prices all over the board. Where do you suggest I go and look up info about the different cue makers cause they all claim they're the "best" around. I think thats all a bunch of fluff, and short of trying to get a poll together (who knows where to post something like that), for recommendations on who makes an accurate hitting cue vs one that has a softer/solid feel cause everything is so subjective and personal.

I have a ginacue being made for me (Ernie was VERY HIGHLY recommended to me by several people), but I found out that his reputation precedes his cues, not only in quality but in the consistency of hit. After a friend of mine let me play with his Ginacue, I can't wait for mine to be finished (but that will take some time), and even thinking about ordering another one from him in the interim. I'm not looking to make a business out of this, but to have some good solid cues that will appreciate in value as time goes on, so it gives me to opportunity to trade up and if I so choose to sell and buy something better/more intricate design. For the most part, I'm more for elegance and playability, not really for the showiness and expense of a lot of Ivory. But for collection purposes, I wouldn't mind having a box cue or two, or a JossWest, or fancy Arthur Queue (as examples).

You are certainly starting out your collection in the best possible way. Ernie's cues are monsters both at the table and as an investment. There are of course other great cue makers. There is a lot of good info right here on the forum. Here's just one thread to help get you started:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=111969

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIGHT ON MAN!!...... Thank you very much!! Now I'm getting the direction I wanted/needed.

Props to you on that and to the others that have been helpful (even though I don't know how to make those people stand out).

You are certainly starting out your collection in the best possible way. Ernie's cues are monsters both at the table and as an investment. There are of course other great cue makers. There is a lot of good info right here on the forum. Here's just one thread to help get you started:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=111969

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really isn't the best time for collecting in terms of making big money, but many people are selling their cues marked down due to the economy so I'm sure you'll be able to pickup a cue that you like at a very reasonable price. I see cue collecting like a big savings account that I can enjoy. I also enjoy the hunt for them. That's what really makes cue collecting fun, the enjoyment of the hunt and research to get them learn more. Getting to play with them is a big bonus too.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!! Isn't that the point in a way? have a piece of "functional art" to enjoy, and somewhat razzle-dazzle your opponent whipping out and playing with a beautifull cue. Although I'm not one to be very flashy and show off (cause it's also a good way to invite someone to try and rob you or jack your cues), I prefer to have a cue that's VERY consistent in hit, something that when I stroke it the right way, will be an extension of my arm and will make cue ball control look EASY.

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member

I disagree.
This is a great time to start collecting cues. Most people are selling custom cues at a all time low. Find what you like and start buying. Do some research on what they are worth. I can guarantee if you stay with the top 5 cue makers, you will make money in the end. Now you just have to figure out who they are. ;)

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the trick..... Although I think I narrowed down the field some to:
Ernie Gutierez (Ginacue)
Ariel Carmeli
Chris Nitti
Paul Mottey

At least those are the names I seem to run into most often, as well as Paul Drexler, Tad Kohara, Jacoby (although his stuff seems to be all over the board), and Jerry McWorter (tried to contact him for some pricing info and never got a return email) although he makes some very nice looking cues, as well as Richard Chudy (RC3). Those are the ones that come to the top of my head.