View Single Post
Agreed
Old
  (#15)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Agreed - 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
I just want to bump up this thread on Steve Keen.

If you have about 1.5 hours to kill and you want to be educated by a REAL economist on how our credit-based (or debt-based) economy REALLY works, sit back and watch this video here...

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2...t-money-fails/

Tying this back to the OP, any engineer would appreciate the way Steve Keen goes about modeling our capitalistic system. No room for ideology when it comes to engineers mathematically modeling a system.
Thanks for the bump. When you started the thread back in January, I had not heard of him. I had an interesting conversation with a younger brother who was aware of Keen's work. I agree with Steve Keen that engineers look at problems, data and other information with a trained eye.

As for the comments about Business Degree people running companies, I had a similar experience with my company. Very basic, do the right stuff was lost on him and many other business types. Engineers should have a dominate role in management, say 20 to 30 percent, but not to the exclusion of other needed skills.

I checked the links in thread #1. They still work and are quite interesting for someone contemplating some time.

I will no doubt expend 90 minutes to watch this. Comments in 3 or 4 days, as I probably will not do it in one sitting. If you don't get a comment, I would appreciate you giving me a prod.

Thanks for the bump and the later link.

I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
Richard Feynman,The Feynman Lectures on Physics
Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies, & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
Norman Davies, Europe: A History

“We’re America, B!tches,”