View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post
Martin - If the photo is what you are making, it is a perfect item to vacuum bag against a form, from thin layers of veneer or laminae.

It could be pressed with a collapsible discharge hose, but would actually be more complicated.....unless you decide to go into production and make "many".

Is your plan to put the whole thing in a bag? Easiest if you have it, as opposed to sealing an oversized form taping/sealingt membrane on one side.

Will you use a peel layer and a bleeder layer?

I use flag nylon, whatever color is on special since it does not matter, for the peel-ply; and usually just raw burlap for the bleeder.

Besides the purpose for which they are included, they help spread the force of the vacuum over the work and help keep the bag from immediately working into small
gaps.
As I said, my homework is not done yet but from what I've seen I was thinking to put the whole thing in a bag. I think I understand what is the bleeder layer (fluffy material near the vacuum port to let the air bleed) but I have no clue about the peel layer purpose.

Did you look at the material i want to use ? It's 7 ply 1/16 maple veneer kit. I wonder if bending perpendicular to the grain is a problem ? Probably not since the core layers have opposite grain but I'm not sure.

I will also need some advice for the form. I've seen some example made of foam, I dont know if it's really suitable for my application.

Sorry to throw all those questions at you.

Thanks a lot for your advices

Martin