View Single Post
Old
  (#22)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-24-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
I've watched a lot of documentaries about homelessness in the US. I was surprised and shocked to discover how many formerly middle class people now have to live in tents and in their car. Even entire families with kids and all. A relative getting seriously ill is a common precursor to losing ones home..Or they lose a job and their insurance, then get ill and that's all she wrote.

Once you no longer have a permanent residence, everything becomes difficult, even getting a job, especially if you're no longer a spring chicken. I like Americans and America a lot, but your society can be quite heartless sometimes. I guess a lot of people lack empathy or even the imagination to understand what it must be like to be middle aged with no assets, possibly ill, and no prospects of a job, or if you can get a job it doesn't pay for a roof over your head. Often the people finding themselves in a situation like this have had to pay for the care of a relative. Sometimes more than one thing go wrong simultaneously in a persons life. Many of the stories I've seen start with losing the job and no longer having health insurance and the snowball starts rolling...Maybe you don't have any family to live with, or they have problems of their own. When you know how many people live from paycheck to paycheck, maybe one should not rush to judgement immidiately. It's not always drugs and mental illness. It's heartbreaking to see these people desperately putting on a brave face, when you know that their odds of making it back is close to zero.
People who live well within their means tend not to be middle aged and homeless.

Unfortunately this does not describe the American dream.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so