who has the best stroke in the world ?

poolman0722

Mike Segal=very calculated, precise.
And as someone said Buddy Hall nice compact stroke, never understood these guys with exsageratted follow thru's! I see it more and more. keep it short, control your backstroke, as well as amount through the ball, see my video's on cue stick control. some shots I look at and say 1" back, 0 follow, or 3" back & 2" follow, or 5" and 3", but you have to be able to stop the cue smoothly. Hall shoots like this its hard, but much less can go wrong. there is a youtube of me playing Buddy in Burbank, I bet him 11 to 3. Those were the days.

Grady Mathews ever beat Buddy Hall 13-0 at SRO

poolman0722

And as someone said Buddy Hall nice compact stroke, never understood these guys with exsageratted follow thru's! I see it more and more. keep it short, control your backstroke, as well as amount through the ball, see my video's on cue stick control. some shots I look at and say 1" back, 0 follow, or 3" back & 2" follow, or 5" and 3", but you have to be able to stop the cue smoothly. Hall shoots like this its hard, but much less can go wrong. there is a youtube of me playing Buddy in Burbank, I bet him 11 to 3. Those were the days.

Grady Mathews ever beat Buddy Hall 13-0 at SRO :D

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad

Since very smooth strokes have been mentioned I'll give a shout out to two guys who have not been mentioned yet. Dallas to me probably had the smoothest and lets not forget about Ed Kelly!

I am glad I decided to read through this. My late friend John O'Neil always raved about Dallas West stroke saying it was the smoothest he had ever seen. Since I viewed a lot of Pool up close and in person from 95- 09 my vote goes to Buddy Hall.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The best stroke in the snooker world belonged to Stephen Lee. Finesse, beauty, power his stroke had it all. Sadly he squandered his great talent by cheating.:mad: When you look at the shots he pulled off on the super tight snooker match tables, so smoothly, it boggles the mind. The "best of" videos don't show the "little" shots where he'd strike the ball soo smoothly that you couldn't even hear the strike and getting all kinds of action on the ball...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgq-fvQKt7Y

In pool, the best stroke belongs to Reyes, just in terms of his accuracy and results. When he strikes the ball, the stroke doesnt' look like anything special, and in fact looks nothing like most professionals. This is amplified by his casual and relaxed appearance. More than a few times, even commentators miss the greatness of the shots, simply because he made them look like nothing. Then you watch what the ball is doing, and it boggles the mind. Stage 3 is trying to replicate the stroke yourself, and realizing that there is not way in hell you can do it with any consistency, and sometimes you can't do it AT ALL...His "hold-up" shots are examples of this. Granted, his stroke has lost some power over the years, but his finesse is intact, and is at an untouchable level that nobody else even comes close to. In pool there are scores of "straight shooters" and there are lots of "power strokers", but there is only one Reyes.

Other than Reyes I always liked and tried to emulate Buddy Halls stroke.

Last edited:

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't leave George San Souci out of any discussion of great strokes. I found it to be smooth, rhythmic, powerful and precise. I still watch his matches when I want to get in stroke, and I know for fact that his stroke was envied by many of his fellow professionals. It was truly a thing of beauty.

R.I.P. Ginky!

RonRosas

Banned
BAM! Here I am getting my stroke on, want some?

Ron rosas, if we are discussing stroking his own ego.

Jeeziz.

yer just another never was! Jelous? here I am at Million Dollar Billiards when you ready?
Bam!
"Mexican Ron Rosas
:shakehead:

Attachments

• 10514552_10152416916513463_2769239823929414209_n.jpg
    10514552_10152416916513463_2769239823929414209_n.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 394
  • 20140602_160359_Victory Blvd.jpg
    20140602_160359_Victory Blvd.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 528
  • ron.jpg
    ron.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 402

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I always thought Siegel had the stroke of an APA 5 or 6. Never smooth and with some body english, it always seemed like he was trying to steer the ball in or something.
Great player though. It just worked for him

GrandmaSter

Registered
Stalev's stroke is lovely to watch, especially when he shoots svajaks in russian pyramid, but the greatest stroke has to belong to Stephen Lee.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great stroke is all about great timing. Strokes come and go for players. When they fall into a timing groove, you'll see them winning or finishing high a lot. Then, because they're human, their timing will fall off and they have to find it again.

It's no different than golf. Case in point: Jordan Spieth. Recently, his timing was a little off and he struggled a bit. I can see that he's starting to find his timing again.

So who has the best stroke today? The players who can keep great timing the longest. One of the best I'd ever seen was George SanSouci. His stroke timing was impeccable nearly all the time. It was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, things going on with him outside of pool prevented him from reaching the heights he could have reached.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
Actually, Sayginer probably has as much finesse as any pool player today. That's my conclusion after seeing him play balkline. He also plays 14.1 with amazing touch when goaded into it.

I would think Efren's balkline ability added much to his finesse stroke in pool.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I think Django Bustamente has the sweetest stroke.

In that same breed I would place Efren and Parica.... poetry.

I am nowhere near having anything like that. My Stroke is smooth, and I have been complimented on it... but nothing with 87 moving parts all working to produce death and destruction on a mass scale like those people.

Lesh