Accustats should consider Netflix

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading a thread about another streaming claiming to be the original Netflix of pool I got to thinking that truly is a good idea. im guessing years ago before YouTube accustats did well selling "tapes" lol(literally video tapes) but in today's day and age there's so much pool on the internet I'm sorry to say I've never felt the need to pay to own an actual match.

However I do watch a ton of pool and if they offered a reasonable monthly fee(I'm thinking 5$) I'd consider paying into it. I know it would kill what little video revenue they have left but it's possible to get more profit going this route. There going to continue recording matches so even the die hard that owns every match would still benefit.

I doubt the crew has never thought about this but I'd love to see them thrive financially considering their quality and hard work and I truly believe they have the library of matches to attract a ton of customers.

Can we please start a petition to get this going I'll gladly be first on the list n sign up for a year in advance if I can watch any accu stats ever created whenever I please!!!!!

TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member
Already did it years ago...

The problem is the IT infrastructure and expertise is not worth the expense no matter who does it to be honest with you. Still doing it, and someone else is as well I have like 5,000 videos maybe more but not everything is loaded because of the effort it takes. It's not cost effective but I am still trying. Billiardnet.tv is 9.99 a month. I've been doing this going back 6 years really. $5 membership wouldn't even pay the monthly overhead to even begin to set it up. I know this from experience and I'm sure they have considered it.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading a thread about another streaming claiming to be the original Netflix of pool I got to thinking that truly is a good idea. im guessing years ago before YouTube accustats did well selling "tapes" lol(literally video tapes) but in today's day and age there's so much pool on the internet I'm sorry to say I've never felt the need to pay to own an actual match.

However I do watch a ton of pool and if they offered a reasonable monthly fee(I'm thinking 5$) I'd consider paying into it. I know it would kill what little video revenue they have left but it's possible to get more profit going this route. There going to continue recording matches so even the die hard that owns every match would still benefit.

I doubt the crew has never thought about this but I'd love to see them thrive financially considering their quality and hard work and I truly believe they have the library of matches to attract a ton of customers.

Can we please start a petition to get this going I'll gladly be first on the list n sign up for a year in advance if I can watch any accu stats ever created whenever I please!!!!!

IIRC TAR looked into doing this and Justin posted that the numbers just didn't make sense for the size of audience pool has.

An Amazon Prime add-on might be a better option. Amazon Prime offers subscription add-ons for TV Channels. So there is a STARZ Add-on, HBO add-on, etc... If they had an Accustats add-on or a Billiards Add-on where the content providers shared revenue based on viewership that might be more lucrative than Netflix because subscribers would be paying $X/month just for that subscription.

Still might not be anywhere close to a viable model for streamers and other content providers.

Also there are the legal issues of the players being compensated if they haven't signed a video release. Not an issue with TAR or Accustats I'm sure, but some other streamers will have a problem with this.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just figured 5$ a month 500-1000 customers eventually subscribing and there pulling down x000$ a month but I have no idea what it cost to get this going.

By the way tv Mike I have no beef with you I know some guys are currently mad but I'm sure ur a very busy man and probably answer 99% of questions and it figures the one question u missed was important to the guy and the rest is history. But thanks for the work u do I know u just came down to drexeline recently and streamed vinnies one pocket tourney and I heard nothing but good things so even tho we've never crossed paths I'm telling you the work you put out is appreciated !!!

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's a decent idea packaging whole tournaments but I'm not so interested In Owning them pursay but if I could pay a fee to watch any video I wanted I'd consider it. I'd love to go threw that library and watch old matches. To me after you see 99% of matches once there's no much excitement to watch again so just speaking for myself paying to buy matches isn't for me. Now if you could one time rent for 1$ or whatever that's diff but I'd seriously love to pay a small monthly fee to have access to scroll the library n watch whatever vids I want at my discretion.

Idk if it's not financially possible and believe me I truly appreciate the work the streamers put out especially quality outfits like accustats but for a 26 year old single parent I believe I support as much as I can when I can and wish I could support more becaus I love this game and anyone putting effort n time n money to help continue this sport is good in my book.

Ps every says pool needs a rich benefactor and I'm here to say if I ever hit the lotto or strike gold I'll gladly be that guy :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ICYMI here's this !!!

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/8b16/203400790?autoplay=1

If it goes well there will be more to come. :yeah:

At over $100 for the event I doubt it will go well. Unless it's some amazing thing, you can get all the free high end matches free from Turning Stone, CA events at HardTimes, a ton of content. I doubt people will pay $10 a match or even $5 to see players play that they have seen play 15 other times against each other. TAR failed at $30-40 per event.

At a $20-30 per month sub for streaming I can see something be viable for exclusive content, past that I doubt more than a handful of people will jump on it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but for a 26 year old single parent

This explains why you laughed at video tapes being sold, you were just born when I was buying AccuStats tapes. The Efren vs Earl race to 120 was what probably got me into playing pool more than any other single thing. Still have the set of 10 tapes :D I would split the cost with a buddy and we would get together to watch them, probably went through that match 3 times a year the first year we owned it.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is the IT infrastructure and expertise is not worth the expense no matter who does it to be honest with you. Still doing it, and someone else is as well I have like 5,000 videos maybe more but not everything is loaded because of the effort it takes. It's not cost effective but I am still trying. Billiardnet.tv is 9.99 a month. I've been doing this going back 6 years really. $5 membership wouldn't even pay the monthly overhead to even begin to set it up. I know this from experience and I'm sure they have considered it.

Don't really want to discount what you say as I'm am not in the business and you are but from what ( I think I know lol ) I will make these statements. Yes, the infrastructure is for sure expensive but you should already have that in place no? Of course upgrades evert once in awhile will be required, but no where near starting from scratch. Overhead: I truly can't imagine what overhead you may have that is absolutely necessary as literally this all could be done from your basement and that I am sure of ( as I do have a good buddy that owns a couple computer shops and does hosting as well ). The elephant in the room imho is the theft of property being reposted on interwebs for free and not sure there's any real answer to that. I do believe you are including into the overhead an hourly salary of $xxx for yourself ( which of course is reasonable ) but in terms of hard costs that is not part of that and any business owner knows not to fall into that trap trying to monetize your time in this type of business lol. Justin throwing this out there but with investment in equipment ROI doing this for $5 could be anywhere from what 3 months to 5 years plus depending on subscriptions right? You are ahead of the curve though being you are already established so if u could get past that mentality and think of every $5 subscription as profit more or less ( minus event operating expenses - which imo should at least be partly of fest by event ) then it's a whole different ballgame no???

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom already has this with kozoom. 7.99 euro per month for live, multiple table, streaming of every important event and unlimited access to their huge library of matches going back years and years. And not just 3C, they include the free game, balk line variations, one-cushion, and even some of the Italian 5 pins game.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom already has this with kozoom. 7.99 euro per month for live, multiple table, streaming of every important event and unlimited access to their huge library of matches going back years and years. And not just 3C, they include the free game, balk line variations, one-cushion, and even some of the Italian 5 pins game.

This! Kozoom have recipe done right. Slowly they get more and more subs.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a IT person..., someone who works for a large company. I know how expensive just the start up can be for offering a Netflix type service. It would be so tough. But...., if some one took Hulu as a model instead of Netflix subscription type service. With Hulu, they get a ads. I know people dislike ads but it is even part of apps now. It would be a lot of extra revenue for the company offering the service. In fact probably more than they would get from the subscriptions from pool fans.