This is why we can't have nice things

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who was attacking Fargo? I think you need to read a bit better. I started the post because it pissed me off that people are cheating a good rating system same way they do their league handicaps. One side we get a nice national rating system that does not care much about league stats, only if you win or loose and by how much. Now people are looking ways to loose and not care much about it while planning ahead to bigger pay-outs. Oh I can dump in these $20, $10 entry events for a bit, then win this $2,000 added event next month. This causes bad data to be in for someone and ends up same thing as any league sandbagging. A-holes and lack of respect for yourself wins over a good system every time. You need to have some faith in people to be honest to have a good rating system, which makes those that are not benefit more. Outside of the pros that don't really gain much from trying to loose since they compete at an even field in events anyway.

As soon as any system is created, shortly after there comes a method of beating it.
On Fargo, it's easy.
Allow weekly 20 dollar tournaments to report and it's easy to drop your Fargo. Ive seen it time and time again.
It's not about Integrity, it's about MONEY. PERIOD!
And if you think the Tournament Director doesn't know, then your a fool.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! If I can be there I will! This year has been a little difficult to plan for some reason...

Ha, I thought about that too.
Many will probably not be going because of the virus
and all.
As soon as I saw the flyer I thought of you.
Glad you were able to see this!
If your able to make it, I wish you the best of rolls.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Never understood cheating. Your integrity is about all you have.

Well it what people do, I know one guy, who is a world class shark. He does there little thing to shark his opponent.

Even if's it only a fun game, noting involved resembling a bet on the outcome.

The only way to deal with this is to lock him, and his antics out of your line of sight.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha, I thought about that too.
Many will probably not be going because of the virus
and all.
As soon as I saw the flyer I thought of you.
Glad you were able to see this!
If your able to make it, I wish you the best of rolls.

Less than 20 minutes after I posted that my wife texted that her family is coming to visit that weekend. Lol! As if I needed more incentive to head out there to Vegas!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Welcome to the world candya55 players that are not good enough to man-up in the box.

Handicapping should be reserved for the handicapped.

I despise handicapping at ALL levels.

To me, a person don't need a handicap, they need to find out how to practice the right way and get better or accept the fact their gonna lose.

Handicapping is:

Foodstamps for POOL.....

Jeff

Its fine and dandy to have that outlook, the problem is if the TD wants entries to keep their tournaments alive a no handicap tournament wont be around long. I see it all the time on FB, people saying that handicaps are bullsh1t, when there finally is a no handicap tournament all these "hi rollers" fail to sign up and the tournament draws 6 people and its the last you ever hear of it. Unless you play at shortstop speed you have a limit on what tournaments you will spend your hard earned money on. Sure, I know that I will likely run a rack or 2 each match of a tournament I enter but I am not likely to enter the USBTC for a reason, I know I am heavily outgunned. Honestly how many tournaments would you enter without handicap if you had to play a field with the equivalent of all SVB's and Filler's?? A lot of people like to say "just practice and git gud" , I have a nice table at home but I still have a full time job, a part time business and a house to take care of, for most there are just too many real life commitments to spend all day at "git gud", and besides for most pool is just a hobby, if you have to work too hard at it it becomes a job.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its fine and dandy to have that outlook, the problem is if the TD wants entries to keep their tournaments alive a no handicap tournament wont be around long. I see it all the time on FB, people saying that handicaps are bullsh1t, when there finally is a no handicap tournament all these "hi rollers" fail to sign up and the tournament draws 6 people and its the last you ever hear of it. Unless you play at shortstop speed you have a limit on what tournaments you will spend your hard earned money on. Sure, I know that I will likely run a rack or 2 each match of a tournament I enter but I am not likely to enter the USBTC for a reason, I know I am heavily outgunned. Honestly how many tournaments would you enter without handicap if you had to play a field with the equivalent of all SVB's and Filler's?? A lot of people like to say "just practice and git gud" , I have a nice table at home but I still have a full time job, a part time business and a house to take care of, for most there are just too many real life commitments to spend all day at "git gud", and besides for most pool is just a hobby, if you have to work too hard at it it becomes a job.

So true. I remember in Denver at Tournaments in Commerce City everybody was complaining about the handicap tournaments so we had a $50 winner take all round robin tournament. 8 people showed up. It was a good cast though. Dave Gomez, Chris Onesky, Larry Blazer, Terry McFadden, Melvin Sharp, Hot Rod, Me,Don Ferguson and I believe Ray Selby.

Everybody played everybody.

It was a lot of fun.

ETA there were a few more players because I remember that Steve Bokros and Leroy Garcia played in it too. The point remains though. Everybody wanted heads-up tournaments but where were they? The weekly handicapped tourneys routinely drew 32 players.

Last edited: