Chalk MAKERS, HEADS-UP!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I sure wish Predator, Blue Diamond or Master chalk would start selling a cue tip chalk that had a thin, metal washer under the wrapper and bottom of the chalk.

There seems to be a lot of people using magnetic chalk holders. The chalk holders are bulky and not user friendly imo.

Even with epoxy or JB Weld, AFTER ATTACHING the washer it eventually fails and comes loose from the bottom of the chalk.

A 5/32 x 7/8 Fender Washer does a great job but it needs to be placed under the wrapper of the chalk. I imagine it would be even better if the wrapper was made of slightly more durable paper/vinyl than what is currently used on most chalks.

Chalk Manufacturers, are you missing a great marketing opportunity?

JoeyA

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I don't know if it would be cost effective, or if there are enough people using magnetic chalk holders to create a sufficient demand. Nonetheless I think the drawback for me when I was using a magnetic holder wasn't the chalk cube, but the magnet itself. The problem you run into is that if you make the magnet sufficiently strong as to not fall off when bumped (which can happen a lot playing pool) then it is hard to get the chalk off of the magnet. For me I didn't enjoy chasing the chalk when I bumped into the table.

yankeepapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk Makers - Heads UP!

Joey A,

I saw a clever solution to this problem last Spring at Lincoln City, Oregon.

We were playing a team of Yakamas from Yakima,WA. I spied a cube of chalk on their table with something attached to the bottom.

Closer inspection revealed it to be a bottle cap crimped to the bottom of the cube. I foolishly failed to ask how the hack was accomplished. Repeated use had worn any identifying marks from the cap, and I believe size matters here.

My efforts with super glue gel and a pair of channel-locks both failed.

Our next wine buying trip to the Yakima Valley will merit a side trip to investigate.

I believe you're onto something here, Joey.

Pete

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
You have to remove the wax paper wrapper because not much sticks well to wax paper or wax coating...
Adhere a piece of a heavy brown paper bag to the bottom after removing the wax coated paper from the bottom, let it set-up and use the epoxy or glue you wish to attach a washer... And scoring the bottom of your chalk before adhesion of washer and paper.

Good luck with ur chalking up'

Rob.M

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is trying to glue metal, doent work well as there is no absorbtion. You could try cleaning the mating surfaces with alcohol, letting it dry then use a piece of double sided foam tape.
Chuck

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got rid of the magnetic holder and went with this......

nv556.jpg

I'm very happy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few things with this, first it would likely double the cost of the chalk, the wrapper will likely wear out fast and the washer will fall out, and not that many use magnetic chalk holders in comparison to those that don't which means the market to sell this to will be very small for the developement and ironing out issues and putting another product in the pipeline.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, attach the washer with Red 3M tape. Glue doesn't work well for metal.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just hold my chalk you lazy bastards.

LOL, I have never used a chalk holder in my life, just trying to help Joey out.

I don't see a need for a chalk holder on a belt, or the pocket dangler thing, or even the chalk cube holders. As long as the chalk doesn't have a hole bored through, I'm fine.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever wonder why so many old players wore a vest?
Besides keeping your shirt out of the way, there's those two
small pockets in just the right place for your chalk.
I wear a thin leather one when its warm, or a wool one when
it's cool.
I see Earl wears one now, and Cory has for some time.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless they started stamping coins in steel again LOL

He might have meant Canadian dime or nickel, I believe one of those still clings to magnetic money clips.

I just checked yahoo answered really quick.....

All Canadian circulated pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are magnetic at various strengths. They are designed that way be easier defined in machines which accept coins and to be cheaper to make. The magnetic effect comes from a specific blend of metal alloys used to press the coins.
Source(s):
http://www.bcscta.ca/resources/hebden/chem/Coin Compositions.pdf

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He might have meant Canadian dime or nickel, I believe one of those still clings to magnetic money clips.

I'd be very surprised if he meant Canadian...

Regardless, Joey lives in Louisiana. Canadian currency is few and far between down here.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The problem is trying to glue metal, doent work well as there is no absorbtion. You could try cleaning the mating surfaces with alcohol, letting it dry then use a piece of double sided foam tape.
Chuck

Actually, the weak part of the bond isn't the metal side. As JoeyA mentioned, it's actually the chalk-paper side that gives way first (the paper tears away from the chalk after a while).

Plenty of glues form an excellent bond with metal, including CA, polyurethane (Gorilla glue or the Elmer's equivalent), and Barge Cement (yup, the same stuff sold in the can with a brush, that's used in reclothing tables).

So far, the best luck I've had with attaching metal to the bottom of a chalk cube is with Barge Cement. What's nice is that it dries flexible, so that it helps to absorb some of the constant pulling action when you're removing the chalk cube from your magnetic holder.

Personally, I like to use the round "knock-outs" (the blanks pried out from the holes) from electrical wiring boxes:

0542604-21.jpg

What's nice is that there is a inherent "lip" from gluing a round disc onto the bottom of a square cube, and your fingers easily find this lip when you go to grab the chalk to pry it away from the magnetic holder. Your natural preference is to pull from the "lip" of the metal disc, rather than pulling/tugging at the cube itself. This saves wear and tear on the glue bond to the cube itself.

(JoeyA, you might want to try this. I've been using this for a long time now, and it works great!)

-Sean

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Snap!

I don't know if it would be cost effective, or if there are enough people using magnetic chalk holders to create a sufficient demand. Nonetheless I think the drawback for me when I was using a magnetic holder wasn't the chalk cube, but the magnet itself. The problem you run into is that if you make the magnet sufficiently strong as to not fall off when bumped (which can happen a lot playing pool) then it is hard to get the chalk off of the magnet. For me I didn't enjoy chasing the chalk when I bumped into the table.

IDK if it would be cost effective or not but there are people out there who will buy any new gimmick that comes along. :D

My magnetic chalk holder utilizes one of the small rare earth magnets. They are extremely strong. I ordered several sizes and found the perfect size for holding the chalk without it falling off but easy enough to remove.

Joey A,

I saw a clever solution to this problem last Spring at Lincoln City, Oregon.

We were playing a team of Yakamas from Yakima,WA. I spied a cube of chalk on their table with something attached to the bottom.

Closer inspection revealed it to be a bottle cap crimped to the bottom of the cube. I foolishly failed to ask how the hack was accomplished. Repeated use had worn any identifying marks from the cap, and I believe size matters here.

My efforts with super glue gel and a pair of channel-locks both failed.

Our next wine buying trip to the Yakima Valley will merit a side trip to investigate.

I believe you're onto something here, Joey.

Pete

Thanks Pete,
I have used epoxy and JB Weld for fastening the thin fender washer to the bottom of the chalk. It holds well enough to the bottom of the chalk to get me about 33% usage out of the chalk before tearing the first layer of paper off of the chalk.

You have to remove the wax paper wrapper because not much sticks well to wax paper or wax coating...
Adhere a piece of a heavy brown paper bag to the bottom after removing the wax coated paper from the bottom, let it set-up and use the epoxy or glue you wish to attach a washer... And scoring the bottom of your chalk before adhesion of washer and paper.

Good luck with ur chalking up'

Rob.M

Rob,
You may have the solution. I will try cutting the two layers off of the PRedator chalk, glue the brown paper to the chalk and see how that works.

Really, I am a bit lazy and just want the chalk manufacturers to know there are LOTS OF MAGNETIC chalk holders being sold today and some of them cost $30-$50 each. I doubt that magnetic chalk holder users would mind paying a premium for a piece of chalk that had a durable wrapper on the chalk with a thin fender washer enclosed inside of the vinyl or paper surrounding the chalk.

Chuck

Chuck,
My fender washer bonds EXTREMELY well to the bottom of Predator chalk, so well that it removes the first layer of paper from the bottom of the chalk, leaving a white, second layer of paper, still covering the bottom of the chalk.

Got rid of the magnetic holder and went with this......

nv556.jpg

I'm very happy.

Yeah, I have one similar to this, made by one of our AZBers. It works OK and I can use it, but there is nothing like the affinity that you get with the snapping that goes with a rare earth magnet. I don't use it to shark anyone, although I guess I could. That's not how I roll, but I do think the convenience of having the chalk available in the precise location, completely void of any chalk holder makes the chalk easier to handle.

The leather pouches are NICE, I agree, but some of them will have the chalk occasionally bounce out. Also, the pouch gets dirty with repeated use.

Joey, attach the washer with Red 3M tape. Glue doesn't work well for metal.

Dave, see above replies, but thanks.

I just hold my chalk you lazy bastards.

Lol. Yes, you got me. :D

Oh this would be great. We'd be paying $30 a piece for Master's. Johnnyt

Johnnyt, you can't take it with you brother. Loosen those purse strings.

keep it simple fellas

Tape a dime or penny to the bottom of the chalk!!!

KD

Ever wonder why so many old players wore a vest?
Besides keeping your shirt out of the way, there's those two
small pockets in just the right place for your chalk.
I wear a thin leather one when its warm, or a wool one when
it's cool.
I see Earl wears one now, and Cory has for some time.

I've seen Stevie Moore wear a vest also.
Vests are kind of cool, but in most of the pool tournaments I play in, some of the guys might think I am trying to pull a one-upsmanship and that's far from how I roll. Don't want to push the envelope too far.

The leather pouches can be worn and used with any clothing. I just like the magnetic chalk holder I created, maybe just because I have gotten attached to it. It has really become a habit.

The only problem now (besides the washer pulling the top layer of paper off of the Predator chalk, is that I have to buy my own chalk and before, my pool room Buffalo Billiards in Metairie, LA was my chalk sponsor. :grin:

picture.php

JoeyA

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remove the paper from the bottom of the chalk with a razor blade. Then I glue a washer to the bottom of the chalk with epoxy. I make sure to cover the entire bottom of the exposed chalk with the epoxy as it helps to somewhat seal the bottom. I have never had an issue with the washer even coming close to falling off or getting blue chalk on my hands from the bottom of the chalk.

Good shooting
Brian

Chuck