Chalk MAKERS, HEADS-UP!

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Are we all getting lazy?

I used to dip steel minnow traps with that coating to prolong their life expectancy because of the saltwater where they were used.

Yes, that might work. Thanks for the idea.

JoeyA

How about someone come up with a tip that has a little dial on the side. Turn the dial and chalk comes out of the tip just like some of the deodorant manufacturers have designed for the bottom of products.

LOL

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind words,

Very cool. Although I don't need to bring chalk with me to shoot anymore because I chalk before the game begins and that's it... .I still use a chalk holder so my chalk does not disappear from the table or accidently leave it behind....

What is the weight on these? Are the heavy enough to keep them from falling out of a pocket?

Last edited:

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I always enjoy this type of thread... many minds working !

My solution was to cut a small square of sheet metal to the size of the chalk.
I placed it on the bottom, and or sides, then wrapped the chalk with thin tape so as not to change the feel of the chalk cube. I used a piece of 26 gauge cut from an old piece of duct work... it's pretty easy to work with.
I have a rare earth magnet fixed to an old cell phone clip. It has worked well.
Too much metal can be a disadvantage since a stronger magnetic bond is created.
I think it's best to only use enough metal to create the magnetic bond you need.
Too much mass will cause the magnetic bond to pull against whatever method you're using to attach the metal or magnet to the chalk. Less is better, in this case.

Dave

Axis_of_Evil

Registered
I remove the paper from the bottom of the chalk with a razor blade. Then I glue a washer to the bottom of the chalk with epoxy. I make sure to cover the entire bottom of the exposed chalk with the epoxy as it helps to somewhat seal the bottom. I have never had an issue with the washer even coming close to falling off or getting blue chalk on my hands from the bottom of the chalk.

Good shooting
Brian

Brian is correct. I've been doing this for some time and found that removing the paper and using a lot of 2-part epoxy works very well. Fill the center of the washer with epoxy also so as to make the entire surface flat , and the chalk will slide off the magnet a little easier. The strong magnet chalk holders work better. You can use a smaller washer if the magnet is too strong for your liking. Also, you can carry a couple of extra pieces of chalk with washers attached just in case.

Also, (for the anal retentive) I took a cheap pill box I bought on eBay, ground down the top and then drilled a few holes in the top. This makes a good power dispenser (like a salt shaker) that can be carried around in one's fob pocket of their jeans. This creates less mess since you can apply minimal power to the exact spot on your bridge hand when you are sittin in the chair.

Regards

Attachments

• Chalk.jpg
    Chalk.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Sean,
My JB Weld/epoxy washer system only lasts for a few days of hard use. The washer eventually peels off of the paper surrounding the chalk.

I'm desperate and will have to try this.

I don't want to assume anything but would like to confirm that this works only for square shaped chalk?

JoeyA

JoeyA:

Just an update on this -- I think I figured out how the guy (described in yankeepapa's post) did it.

I was lucky in that one of my tinner's hammers -- which has a square face -- is exactly the same size as a cube of chalk. I found that after the edges of the bottle cap are teased open (e.g. with needle-nose pliers, at where the corners of the square would be), you place it on the face of the tinner's hammer (like you were "capping" the face), and can use another small hammer to gently tap it in place to shape it. Then, place it on the bottom of the chalk cube, and using either a vise or channel-lock pliers, gently squeeze the sides to crimp it in place.

Done! Takes all of 2 or 3 minutes to do. It's actually a good mechanical connection, and I've not been able to pry it off with my fingers. And the bottle cap sticks well to the rare-earth magnet in my belt clip.

The trick is to find a square piece of metal that is exactly the same dimensions (sides-wise) as a cube of chalk, that you can quickly and easily tap the bottle cap onto to shape it. The face of the above-mentioned tinner's hammer worked for me, but I'm sure a sawed-off piece of a wrought-iron fence or other square stock that is the same size as the sides of a cube of chalk would do just as well.

This is even easier (and quicker!) than trying to glue a washer, electrical box knockout, or other bit of metal onto the bottom of a cube of chalk.

Thanks to yankeepapa for the idea!
-Sean

Axis_of_Evil

Registered
Sean,
My JB Weld/epoxy washer system only lasts for a few days of hard use. The washer eventually peels off of the paper surrounding the chalk.

I don't want to assume anything but would like to confirm that this works only for square shaped chalk?

JoeyA

Joey,

You are on the right track using 2-part epoxy.... just remove the paper from the bottom of the chalk before you glue the washer to the chalk.

Regards

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean,

JoeyA

Joey:

To answer this: "but would like to confirm that this works only for square shaped chalk" -- the answer is NO. The bottle cap should fit any shape of chalk, including the octagonal Predator chalk you're fond of. The trick is making sure you crimp the bottom firmly.

You might even have an easier time of it than I, because of the octagonal shape of the Predator chalk -- just place it on the bottom and gently (but firmly) crimp with either a vise or channellock pliers.

I say "easier time of it" because in my instance, with a square cube of chalk, I had to use needlenose pliers to gently tease open some corners on the bottle cap, since the corners of the cube extended slightly beyond the round perimeter of the bottle cap. Once I got those artificial corners teased onto the bottle cap, I then used the face of my Estwing 18oz tinner's hammer as an "anvil" to finish the square shape. (I used another hammer to tap the bottle cap to fit the face of the 18oz tinner's hammer.)

For me, making a round bottle cap fit a square shape necessitated the extra work. Since you're making a round bottle cap fit an octagonal shape instead (which is much closer to a circle in shape), you probably won't have to do any anviling at all -- just place it onto the bottom of your Predator chalk and crimp on the 8 sides.

If that works for you, that's probably the LEAST WORK of all the solutions presented. I.e. no cutting of paper (from the cube of chalk), no gluing, no mixing, no clamping, no waiting for that glue to dry, etc.

-Sean

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Ah ok.. Did not know that. I thought Chris poured them into the chalk.

Thanks!

Originally we were casting them in but we had issues with them holding.. We have since went to machining the hole but the machining requires a masonry carbide bit so it's not the tolerance we were getting in testing using metal cutting forstners which means we go back to casting the magnet only a little more recessed.. We are looking at other options as well...

Getting off the ground never seens to happen without bumping your tail feathers a few times and readjusting your headings....... I appreciate all the feedback and ideas this place comes up with... Thats one of the things that make AZ invaluable.....

JoeyA

Silver Member
JoeyA:

Just an update on this -- I think I figured out how the guy (described in yankeepapa's post) did it.

I was lucky in that one of my tinner's hammers -- which has a square face -- is exactly the same size as a cube of chalk. I found that after the edges of the bottle cap are teased open (e.g. with needle-nose pliers, at where the corners of the square would be), you place it on the face of the tinner's hammer (like you were "capping" the face), and can use another small hammer to gently tap it in place to shape it. Then, place it on the bottom of the chalk cube, and using either a vise or channel-lock pliers, gently squeeze the sides to crimp it in place.

Done! Takes all of 2 or 3 minutes to do. It's actually a good mechanical connection, and I've not been able to pry it off with my fingers. And the bottle cap sticks well to the rare-earth magnet in my belt clip.

The trick is to find a square piece of metal that is exactly the same dimensions (sides-wise) as a cube of chalk, that you can quickly and easily tap the bottle cap onto to shape it. The face of the above-mentioned tinner's hammer worked for me, but I'm sure a sawed-off piece of a wrought-iron fence or other square stock that is the same size as the sides of a cube of chalk would do just as well.

This is even easier (and quicker!) than trying to glue a washer, electrical box knockout, or other bit of metal onto the bottom of a cube of chalk.

Thanks to yankeepapa for the idea!
-Sean

Sean,
How about some pics of the capped chalk?
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
I make these

Ebony and Deer antler

Mike,
Those chalk holders are beautiful! Charley "Hillbilly" Bryant was in town for the last few days and uses a chalk holder similar to yours if not the same but I don't like the feeling of the holders and prefer the chalk alone.

Still for those that like an attractive chalk holder can't go wrong with yours!

JoeyA

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
When the chalk is put in the mold and pored in can you just put some metal in the bottom of the mold and pour the chalk in it?

JoeyA

Silver Member
Sean,
You got my interest going with the hand vice and I started looking at crimping tools. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but some of the perfume bottle cap crimpers with a custom shape might work well. They make hand crimpers and automatic crimpers but most of them are rather expensive. Might work for a commercial enterprise but not for my simple needs.

JoeyA

This is a very clever idea! I like it. I can see that a typical bottle cap can be crimped around the bottom of a cube of chalk, with no glue.

The trick is "how to do the crimping without crushing the bottom of the cube, nor having the serrated metal edge of the bottle cap 'cut into' the chalk." ChannelLock pliers wouldn't do, because even with a careful squeeze, it's too easy once the metal curls inwards to go too far.

I'm thinking a small hand vise, something like this:

m-4BYFaIPxQsOVEBYzH5G2g.jpg

I have one of these. Although even just a standard bench or portable vise would do as well. The key is the incremental screw action to close the jaws -- rather than uncontrolled plier hand pressure -- which allows you to crimp firmly into the chalk without crushing or cutting it.

I'm going to have to try this.
-Sean

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Chalk holders

Mike,
Those chalk holders are beautiful! Charley "Hillbilly" Bryant was in town for the last few days and uses a chalk holder similar to yours if not the same but I don't like the feeling of the holders and prefer the chalk alone.

Still for those that like an attractive chalk holder can't go wrong with yours!

JoeyA

Thank you Joey

I don't think Charley has one of mine or at least a don't remember selling him one.

I was thinking of calling them ZillaGod Chalkers .

That way it would give some of you guys a new word to complain about that is used to describe a pool related product in the WFS. :grinning-moose:

You ever get to Reno give me a PM, I don't mind wearing out some chalk.

Enjoy the Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzb-sduiWc

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pics of "bottlecapped" chalk with magnetic holder

Sean,
How about some pics of the capped chalk?
JoeyA

Sean,
You got my interest going with the hand vice and I started looking at crimping tools. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but some of the perfume bottle cap crimpers with a custom shape might work well. They make hand crimpers and automatic crimpers but most of them are rather expensive. Might work for a commercial enterprise but not for my simple needs.

JoeyA

Joey:

See pic below. You'll see the following:

1. Pair of needlenose pliers, used to tease square corners into the round bottlecap so that it'd fit onto the 18oz tinner's hammer face.

2. Two Estwing tinner's hammers I used -- the 18oz's face was used as the "anvil" to offer the square shape that is exactly the same size as a square cube of chalk, and the other one above it (which is a smaller 12oz one) was used to gently tap the bottle cap onto the 18oz'ers face to shape it.

3. Channellock pliers -- these are used to gently crimp the bottle cap onto the bottom of the square cube of chalk. Notice, btw, there is no vise in the pic. I found that I didn't need to use mine, because I have nimble hands from decades of working with pliers. However, I recommend a vise if you can't control the pressure you apply with pliers -- it's a gentle (but firm) squeeze, so as not to crush the cube of chalk.

4. My ChalkShark magnetic holder, with a bottlecapped new cube of Magic Chalk attached.

5. A well-worn cube of Magic Chalk with the bottlecap attachment, that I'd been using for a while, and the bottlecap stayed attached with no problems. This cube is ready for tossing in the garbage -- no muss, no trying to salvage magnets and cleaning them up, etc.

6. The cool thing about this idea, is that you can crimp bottlecaps onto cubes of chalk ahead of time, and put those cubes right back in their original box (and close it, with no problems) for use later. This way, you just put the box of two cubes in your case, and they are there -- ready to go -- when you need them.

I'm sure I could be really meticulous, and file down the corners, paint/tape it, etc., but to be honest, this is fine for me. I don't mind that my Magic Chalk has Twisted Tea bottlecaps on them. ;)

-Sean

Attachments

• chalk_bottle-cap_magnetic-holder_with-tools.jpg
    chalk_bottle-cap_magnetic-holder_with-tools.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 81
  • chalk_bottle-cap_magnetic-holder.jpg
    chalk_bottle-cap_magnetic-holder.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Aww gee Sean..... While the pics are great overall, I was hoping to see a close-up of the bottle cap connected to the chalk.No sweat. Thanks but I don't want to trouble you anymore about the pics. I appreciate the ones you provided. I guess I was hoping to see how tightly crimped the bottle cap was sealed around the chalk.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Joey:

See pic below. You'll see the following:

1. Pair of needlenose pliers, used to tease square corners into the round bottlecap so that it'd fit onto the 18oz tinner's hammer face.

2. Two Estwing tinner's hammers I used -- the 18oz's face was used as the "anvil" to offer the square shape that is exactly the same size as a square cube of chalk, and the other one above it (which is a smaller 12oz one) was used to gently tap the bottle cap onto the 18oz'ers face to shape it.

3. Channellock pliers -- these are used to gently crimp the bottle cap onto the bottom of the square cube of chalk. Notice, btw, there is no vise in the pic. I found that I didn't need to use mine, because I have nimble hands from decades of working with pliers. However, I recommend a vise if you can't control the pressure you apply with pliers -- it's a gentle (but firm) squeeze, so as not to crush the cube of chalk.

4. My ChalkShark magnetic holder, with a bottlecapped new cube of Magic Chalk attached.

5. A well-worn cube of Magic Chalk with the bottlecap attachment, that I'd been using for a while, and the bottlecap stayed attached with no problems. This cube is ready for tossing in the garbage -- no muss, no trying to salvage magnets and cleaning them up, etc.

6. The cool thing about this idea, is that you can crimp bottlecaps onto cubes of chalk ahead of time, and put those cubes right back in their original box (and close it, with no problems) for use later. This way, you just put the box of two cubes in your case, and they are there -- ready to go -- when you need them.

I'm sure I could be really meticulous, and file down the corners, paint/tape it, etc., but to be honest, this is fine for me. I don't mind that my Magic Chalk has Twisted Tea bottlecaps on them. ;)

-Sean