carbon fiber shafts

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never tried a revo shaft but I'm a B+ to a A player on my better days, so what u guys seem to
be saying is that if I get a carbon fiber shaft? The sky will be the limit. Lol

absolutely not.. you will still be a B+ playa!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing you are making a joke; however, I haven't read a single revo thread - there are plenty of threads that I never open because the subject doesn't interest me. I have always used a wood shaft and can't imagine putting a dark grey shaft on the end of any of my cues, which are mostly maple forearm. Having said that, your thread got me curious and I just got back from hitting with my friend's revo. I have to say - it was pretty amazing. I didn't like the slightly dull hit, but there wasn't any deflection - it was simple to pocket balls.

It makes me wonder if wooden shafts will eventually go the way of wooden golf club shafts and wooden tennis rackets.

I grew up riding metal bikes, but everything is carbon fiber now. Lost a lotta weight, but feels like riding around on a cooler lid.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
funny i never got that idea

i mean the extreme improvement

but i have never even seen one

i have to admit i hope potter buys one
so i can borrow it and try it for free

serve him right

Deanoc,

I have mentioned in several posts that YOU should try one out. I think you might like them. If you hate using a glove, you maybe won't want to use a carbon fiber shaft, though. The Becue also has an extension they sell which will give you a longer cue. It also has weight bolts that will allow you to easily make it the weight you like.

Here is a post I put in one of your threads:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?464033&p=6021141#post6021141

Dean,

I know you have bought and sold a ton of cues and now you have gotten rid of all of them and are buying some more.

If you are going to buy just one cue to play with, I would suggest you "try" out a Becue with their Prime (pro taper) shaft. It won't be anywhere near as fancy as those you had, but you won't find a better "hit". I'm not telling you to run out and buy one, but if you have a chance to try one out, make sure you give it a whirl.

If I was in your area, I would let you try mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a review I posted when I got mine and played with it for a bit.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?458050&p=5945311#post5945311

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well ,my reading comprehension and retention
has come to the fore

i don't remember even hearing about the graphite shafts
and here we have proof that you told me

please forgive me,but i still don't remember

also jackpot tells me his trip to Nacdoches texas to try these out is
off,as there is no pool room in the city

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
absolutely not.. you will still be a B+ playa!!

Then I don't understand all the hype if in the end u won't be a better player then I can't see
spending 300 or more for a shaft.
But what ever makes someone happy more power to them.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then I don't understand all the hype if in the end u won't be a better player then I can't see
spending 300 or more for a shaft.
But what ever makes someone happy more power to them.

It won't necessarily make you a better player, but you will be more consistent and confident if you play with something that plays the SAME WAY EVERY TIME.

The Becue shaft isn't affected by moisture, humidity, and supposedly doesn't ever warp. Every hit on the cue feels the same. There isn't a vibrating feel on one shot and then no vibration on another one. It feels like you are hitting center ball all the time.

It is relatively low deflection and it gives you a lot of power and English if/when you need to use it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hawaiian Eye...What does wearing a glove have to do with using a carbon fiber shaft? I've been playing with my Revo for 2 years now, and never needed a glove.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Deanoc,

If you hate using a glove, you maybe won't want to use a carbon fiber shaft, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I use a Becue, not a REVO.

The Becue shaft has an airplane paint coating and it tends to have more "drag" than I prefer. I have sweaty hands and I have always used powder when I played with my wood shafts. A glove makes the Becue go through my closed bridge much better.

If you use an open bridge all the time, you may not prefer to use a glove.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hawaiian Eye...What does wearing a glove have to do with using a carbon fiber shaft? I've been playing with my Revo for 2 years now, and never needed a glove.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Deanoc,

If you hate using a glove, you maybe won't want to use a carbon fiber shaft, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I use a Becue, not a REVO.

The Becue shaft has an airplane paint coating and it tends to have more "drag" than I prefer. I have sweaty hands and I have always used powder when I played with my wood shafts. A glove makes the Becue go through my closed bridge much better.

If you use an open bridge all the time, you may not prefer to use a glove.

This is true.
I went full time BeCue and still don't wear a glove, but I use a little powder throughout and wipe the cue down repeatedly. If I didn't use the powder, I'd prefer the glove.

But I use mostly open bridge.

The great part about the aviation paint is that out can be lightly scrubbed with my burnishing/cue maintenance pad I used on wood shafts. It gets any kind of sticky/grime off the shaft very nicely.

The Revo recommends the special wipes to clean it down with. Scott, you have to admit you wipe down the Revo more often than you did your wood shafts.

And yes, pros using the revo are wearing gloves too, because carbon fiber will pick up bits of chalk and sweat on it's surface and not absorb them like the wood shafts did (remember how all our wood shafts would get a blue hue to them over many hours of heavy play?).

I did like that look of a heavy played wood shaft and it's something I miss after going to carbon fiber.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great marketing make just enough so the price is up there with the hype.Ill know their real when Dean has a super deal with no pic.First 5 to send $550 will get a surprise..

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's apples and oranges, lack of dings don't make you play better.

I'm not ranting for like or dislike of Revo shafts, but saying they are the future because of no dings is pretty specious reasoning. They don't play "better" and don't help the player perform better. You still have to adjust for the amount of squirt regardless of what shaft you use.

Specious reasoning lol. With respect either you don't understand why low deflection is more accurate, or your reasoning needs work. Do you always hit the cue ball precisely where you intend to?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rico, thanks for mentioning my super deals

I already sold out and all of the customers relied how happy they were

actually I never had 5 at a time,but once had 70 Deano cues in a similar deal we sold all 70 in a week if memory doesn't fail

Everyone was happy

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Darren Appleton switched back to a 314 for the world pool masters. Maybe the first real pro to endorse the revo went back.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Darren Appleton switched back to a 314 for the world pool masters. Maybe the first real pro to endorse the revo went back.

He was using the revo to break though lol He hasn’t been playing. Apparently he had family issues. Maybe with his lack of confidence he decided to go back to old faithful. Or maybe he just liked the 314/3 better. Who know.. It’s not for everyone.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex,

To tell you the truth, I'm amazed that I stayed with carbon fiber after first starting off terribly with one. I was playing with a Tiger Pro X shaft then switched to BeCue. The carbon fiber shaft was so alien it was like learning the game over again. Then after a few weeks it started clicking. It took a month or two to feel 100% confident with it.

It's been about a year now and the old wooden shafts feel odd to me. I feel the added vibration and hear the noise. There is no absolutely no doubt I'm playing better with the synthetic shaft. Can't wait to try different models.

Chris

Well, I'm not there yet, but like I said, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know this new (to me) method of aiming will pay dividends in the future. It has to, parallel shifting is just much simpler than trying to know all the different points along the arc that is a typical cue ball path using a standard deflection cue like my long time playing cue was. This Revo shaft is close enough to no deflection that I think I will be able to do that on most shots.

The problem is in getting my brain to let me feel comfortable pulling the trigger when it "looks" wrong to me still. I'm sure over time that will change and the new method will feel natural, but right now, I'm still consciously trying to execute every shot and it's hard.

I've heard anywhere from 1-3 months to feel completely comfortable with it. I'm at a month now and I'm starting to shoot better but I'd say I'm at 75-80% of where I want to be still.