Antique Table Info & Help Please

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

These are indeed sweet tables, I might put mine up on the market sometime in the future.. sure hard to let something so sweet go tho.
They just don’t build em like they used too...

Rob.M

Attachments

• 67845264-E3B1-42E7-80ED-16B6763416AA.jpg
    67845264-E3B1-42E7-80ED-16B6763416AA.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for all input on this!

I LOVE these older tables. There's no comparison to their beauty, and like everything else, they don't build'em like they used to!

I was planning to make the drive this afternoon to have a better look, and probably buy. However, the seller isn't willing to budge on price, which we've established is a little high, so, for the time being, I'm holding off on this table. Their ad is still new so I'll give it a little time. If they don't find a buyer, eventually they may be willing to negotiate.

If this particular table doesn't pan out, I'm armed with some excellent info here going forward. We'll see what happens. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Cool old table but you are probably saving yourself a ton of $$ in an overhaul. Unless you can do all(or at least a lot) of the work yourself you're lookin' at a ton of time & cash. Here's one re-done by Derrick and crew in Kansas: https://www.billiardrestoration.com/antique-pool-tables/regina.htm

Yes! I feel like people here have saved me hundreds of $$. At least $500, maybe more. I love these tables and I'm willing to put in the money and effort, but my rational side is saying don't go upside down.

Some of the professional restorations out there look phenomenal. I'm capable of amazing restoration work myself if I don't say. However, as far as set-up and dialing in functionality go, I'd leave that to a table mechanic with experience on these tables.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their asking price is $1500. It's already taken apart, with pictures mapping how it goes back together. The slate is on a pallet (3 pieces), and the base and table is one piece. They have machinery to load on a trailer.

"The pool table is 9’ long, the slate is 1” thick with a backer board also 1 “ thick. The slate is in very good condition."

Given this tables value in restored condition, I'm somewhat surprised by the pricing here. I was expecting a little more. But then, as usual, I'm sure I'm underestimating the work involved. :)

If you've seen this table apart then you've seen the slates. That would be my first concern with a T-Rail. Many T-Rail slates were broken. Other than that it looks like a decent deal @1500.

I believe K55 was the profile used back then but there's some chance someone modified the rails in the last 100 years. Check for a label on the cushions, then check the angle. If they match you're good to go. I wouldn't change the profile.

My preference is the T-Rail design but I don't play pool much anymore. When this table was made proper angles were considered. Wanting to convert this table to comply with "modern standards" IMO is not what I would want to do. I'd want my table to comply with at least the 5 system. which most modern pool tables do not. Diamond I believe made a move to adjust their tables to comply. 3 Rail kick on most Modern Tables come in 1/2-1 diamond short even on a well maintained clean cloth and new or like new clean balls.

If you're a tournament or league player then I guess modern specs would be the way to go, so there's not so much difference with your table and a Valley or Gold Crown or .......

The rail skirts are the only thing that seems strange here but you're good at refinishing wood.

https://www.billiardrestoration.com/antique-pool-tables/regina.htm

Last edited:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I believe K55 was the profile used back then but there's some chance someone modified the rails in the last 100 years. Check for a label on the cushions, then check the angle. If they match you're good to go. I wouldn't change the profile.

Brunswick used Monarch Superspeed cushions, until the late 70's. The profile may have been referred to as K55, though it is NOT the same as a modern-day K55 profile cushion. ANY Brunswick table produced prior to about 1978 will require updates to the rails, to accommodate a modern-day K55 cushion.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I purchased my first one, it was a little rough. I paid $450 for it & delivery. 2 years later & $7000 dollars, it was a beauty. The project was a labor of LOVE.... & the Table was perfect.

The problem was that you can't practice on an Antique & take the info to town & play on a Diamond or Gold Crown. I'm talking Rail play...

When I sold it, I got $9500 dollars for it, on eBay.