Why Is This Instructor Forum So Dead?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like there's basically no posting going on here. What am I going to have to do, start posting my shots again and asking for others thoughts? I basically haven't played for five months but I can get back into the saddle again if need be.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing someone can do is post for the sake of posting. The second to worst thing is to post bad information.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The worst thing someone can do is post for the sake of posting. The second to worst thing is to post bad information.

Probably the other way around.:) A post for the sake of posting at least has a chance of enticing beneficial information for someone, whereas bad information helps no one.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the other way around.:) A post for the sake of posting at least has a chance of enticing beneficial information for someone, whereas bad information helps no one.

LOL, I guess it could go that way, but I did think about that one for awhile before posting it. My take is that bad information can be corrected right away by another post. Posts for the sake of posting are useless and take up people's time. I guess this thread is turning out to be pretty useless, right? I'd better get out of here before I contribute to the uselessness.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's difficult and most people don't want to do it but it would be very helpful ( both to instructors and posters) if your question was accompanied by video.
Pictures (such as those Dr Cue) puts up are nice but one huge factor involved in trying to help someone is knowing what their current ability level is.
The advice given to a D player might differ greatly to that given to a B player. Even regarding the same or a similar question.
In some cases the problems are with fundamentals or they could be more related to decision making.
So I'd urge anyone looking for help to post any available video if at all possible.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The instructors forums is dead because there is an uncomfortable air about the posting over here. I’ve had/read great advice by instructors and non-instructors in my time here on AZ billiards....and vice versa.
However I feel on the main forum everyone gets a chance to contribute to an answer without the pretense that they must be an instructor to answer. That is why it is so dead over here.
After a while, we know who the instructors are but I welcome even novice players tossing in their two cents (even if wrong or misguided, it will be corrected in the thread and the learning continues).
But when there is an uncomfortable air in a forum that only a qualified instructor can respond, then we are limiting the dialogue and thus limiting the learning.

In my field of high voltage power lines, when coming up through the ranks, a wise old lineman told me to watch everyone up in the air no matter what their experience, because you can learn just as much by watching someone do something the wrong way as you can by watching it done the right way.

That’s some good universal advice.

If the instructor forum was more open to non-instructor participation than it would be a better information trading post...which is what the main forum has become and why all the action is over there.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The instructors forums is dead because there is an uncomfortable air about the posting over here. I’ve had/read great advice by instructors and non-instructors in my time here on AZ billiards....and vice versa.
However I feel on the main forum everyone gets a chance to contribute to an answer without the pretense that they must be an instructor to answer. That is why it is so dead over here.
After a while, we know who the instructors are but I welcome even novice players tossing in their two cents (even if wrong or misguided, it will be corrected in the thread and the learning continues).
But when there is an uncomfortable air in a forum that only a qualified instructor can respond, then we are limiting the dialogue and thus limiting the learning.

In my field of high voltage power lines, when coming up through the ranks, a wise old lineman told me to watch everyone up in the air no matter what their experience, because you can learn just as much by watching someone do something the wrong way as you can by watching it done the right way.

If the instructor forum was more open to non-instructor participation than it would be a better information trading post...which is what the main forum has become and why all the action is over there.

You can learn a lot of things from non-instructors--that are horribly wrong. I'm not the only instructor who has heard from amateurs, "I don't need paid lessons, Billy here at my APA team is teaching me."

Billy is a weak 6 and and his "student" is still an APA 3 after all of Billy's "teaching".

I welcome non-instructors to chime in here as long as they are considerate of others.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But in that line of work, they will only show you the wrong way ONCE!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cardigan Kid...There is only one instructor here who complains about others posting here, who are not instructors...only one! Ignore that person, and post when and where you want to...even in the 'Ask an Instructor' forum!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can learn a lot of things from non-instructors--that are horribly wrong. I'm not the only instructor who has heard from amateurs, "I don't need paid lessons, Billy here at my APA team is teaching me."

Billy is a weak 6 and and his "student" is still an APA 3 after all of Billy's "teaching".

I welcome non-instructors to chime in here as long as they are considerate of others.

Absolutely understand and concur. The moments in my life of greatest learning and the steepest curve was from paid professional instruction. You folks are invaluable.

But in that line of work, they will only show you the wrong way ONCE!

That’s a fact :eek: when you watch 7620 volts make a dead fault to ground, the learning curve is accelerated quite a bit.

Cardigan Kid...There is only one instructor here who complains about others posting here, who are not instructors...only one! Ignore that person, and post when and where you want to...even in the 'Ask an Instructor' forum!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Thanks, Mr. Lee—I hope to start playing regularly again in the future and I’ll be here more and more looking for answers.