Breathing techniques?

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone pay attention to their breathing when they make a shot?

I haven't seen this discussed at all since i have joined the site.

Thoughts please.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that I hold my breath when I'm a little nervous.

Now, i consciously try to take steady breaths throughout the process, pausing only to shoot.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny answer: only after I haven't taken a breath for 3 minutes. :D

I think about my breathing only when I have an important shot with the pressure on. Then I make sure I take a few deep breaths before I take the shot. Seems to relax me..

Al

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
One of the best sharks ever is to ask someone if they breathe in or out on their last stroke, they won't make a ball for a while ha ha.

When I'm doing things right I pull the trigger right after I have exhaled slowly and relaxed my body, hold your breath for a couple of beats then swing the cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are having to worry about breathing during a shot, you may be getting too "mechanical" in my opinion, but to each, their own.

I tried "consciously" keeping my breathing pattern in some sort of rhythm with my stroke and it made me too aware of my breathing and it distracted me. I try to do all my PSR and get everything in synch when my "mind" tells me I'm good to go. Whether I'm breathing in or out at that particular second is NOT a "conscious" thought in my mind.

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was just a thought, I've never thought about it until i posted this but i was watching a video on snippers and how they focus on their breathing.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Breathing is important. My suggestion is, don't stop.
As far as pool is concerned, however, you needn't worry about it at all. Your Medulla Oblongata, will take care of it for you while you make that next game winning shot.
There will be people here who will tell you to breathe in, breathe out, or hold your breath during, before, and after the stroke. Any number of techniques, and combinations thereof.
Don't pay them any mind. You make a good stroke, and your brain stem will take care of the rest.. :smile:

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally breath and pay attention in pressure situations to keeping a calm breathing action. Keeps heart rate steady. But when I actually shoot I'm not breathing, I hold my breath when pulling the trigger. Works for me but everyone has their "thing"

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are breathing techniques that calm you in everyday life. Its a stress buster & there are apps for it.
I have a couple, at bedtime I can not listen to it for long, I fall asleep before its finished.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Chew gum while playing. If you're chewing, you're breathing regularly. Worked pretty good for Michael Jordan, among others.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.ghilliesuitsonline.com/brteforsn.html

I found this helpful. It advocates shooting on the pause after exhaling fully, and before breathing in.

I think CJ also talked about doing this right before you get down on the shot.

When I'm not at the table, I focus on breathing as much air as I can, because when I'm nervous, I forget to breathe, and when I forget to breathe, my heart rate rises. So I try and get as much oxygen as possible, to lower my heart rate so it won't be going crazy as I'm trying to shoot.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Focusing on slowing down you breathing etc can help you relax in tense situations.

Have you ever heard about the Buteyko Method? It is not well recieved by the medical community here in the US because of some of the claims in its ability to cure diseases. The theory of Buteyko is that hyperventilating is the cause of many diseases and it is much more dangerous than we realize and doing the Buteyko breathing exercises will retrain your breathing to prevent hyperventilating.

I dont know about its ability to cure asthma or diabetes but I have heard good things about it strengthening the lungs and reducing anxiety levels especially in high pressure situations. I have never tried it though.

There is a free app with some of the exercises. I might try it just to see what it is about.

The following link talks about Buteyko for anxiety even though it doesnt discuss it in a sports related situation.
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/buteyko/buteyko-and-anxiety-the-role-of-chronic-hyperventilation

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Have you ever heard about the Buteyko Method? It is not well recieved by the medical community here in the US because of some of the claims in its ability to cure diseases. The theory of Buteyko is that hyperventilating is the cause of many diseases and it is much more dangerous than we realize and doing the Buteyko breathing exercises will retrain your breathing to prevent hyperventilating.
I dont know about its ability to cure asthma or diabetes but I have heard good things about it strengthening the lungs and reducing anxiety levels especially in high pressure situations. I have never tried it though.
There is a free app with some of the exercises. I might try it just to see what it is about.
The following link talks about Buteyko for anxiety even though it doesnt discuss it in a sports related situation.
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/buteyko/buteyko-and-anxiety-the-role-of-chronic-hyperventilation

You mean to tell me that I can catch a disease from breathing real fast?
Well, then answer me this. After all the sex I've had, lo these many years, how come I'm not dead yet?
And, what about the time a guy at the pool hall pointed a gun at me and told me he was going to shoot out my headlamps? I shit my pants, but I didn't develop diabetes.
C'mon, Satori, you gotta do better than that. :)

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean to tell me that I can catch a disease from breathing real fast?
Well, then answer me this. After all the sex I've had, lo these many years, how come I'm not dead yet?
And, what about the time a guy at the pool hall pointed a gun at me and told me he was going to shoot out my headlamps? I shit my pants, but I didn't develop diabetes.
C'mon, Satori, you gotta do better than that. :)

I'm not real familiar with it's usefulness in fighting disease. If you can e-mail Magic Johnson he could probably tell you more.

All I know is Buteyko system + CTE + Clock system = on your way to becoming a world champion

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm not real familiar with it's usefulness in fighting disease. If you can e-mail Magic Johnson he could probably tell you more.
All I know is Buteyko system + CTE + Clock system = on your way to becoming a world champion

Magic Johnson, contracted HIV from breathing too fast? Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather. :)

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic Johnson, contracted HIV from breathing too fast? Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather. :)

LOL

I was making a joke but it appears as though the Buteyko people really do claim their method to be effective for fighting hiv. It fights over 200 diseases plus helps oxygenate your brain for better focus and concentration while giving you nerves of steel. What more could the OP want?

http://www.normalbreathing.com/hiv-aids-clinical-trial.php