Music

JC51534

JC
Silver Member
What systen do you use?
What style room do you have?
How important to feel the music is to your business?

I use a combination of MP3's and DMX Satellite.
The room is a more a neighborhood bar with 18 pool tables. (no bar boxes)
I think music plays a huge role in the customers choice of where they spend their money.

Does anyone know of a service that supplies mp3 playlists based on customer defined criteria that could be imported into Music Match or iTunes?

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
JC51534 said:
What systen do you use?
What style room do you have?
How important to feel the music is to your business?

I use a combination of MP3's and DMX Satellite.
The room is a more a neighborhood bar with 18 pool tables. (no bar boxes)
I think music plays a huge role in the customers choice of where they spend their money.

Does anyone know of a service that supplies mp3 playlists based on customer defined criteria that could be imported into Music Match or iTunes?

I use XMRADIO in my room.
blues during the day and 70-80`s rock at night and not blasting at all.
No complaints so far.

Dhakala

Banned
Do you folks maintain the same volume level throughout your rooms, or do you provide "quiet zones" for players who don't care for your current playlist or any music at all?

I play several times a week in a nice, long room (two rows of 10 9-footers each, amply spaced). It's patronized by punk rockers, Sinatra fans, and religious types, like me, who devoutly believe that a pool room should be "quiet. Like a church."

The room manager/bartender used to go nuts trying to keep everybody happy. "Turn it UP!" "Turn it DOWN!" "Turn it the @&$# OFF!" But things are fine since I unplugged a speaker or two in the back of the room.

Another of my favorite spots is a sports bar filled with 32 bar boxes, a huge space. About a half dozen tables near the front door are "underserved" by speakers. We old farts tend to congregate there, while the Metallica fans play between the juke box and the wall-mounted speakers.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New pool room I am working at just went with a Internet Jukebox with Bose speakers.
It has two nice subs and 9-10 satelite speakers around the room.

Its 8700 square foot and open so its not that bad. The songs sould really good and with that many speakers you do not have to turn it up
really loud. The hard part is getting people to understand that part.

Its probably the only pool room in america where Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck are heard EVERY day!! Several regulars really like EH.. Enough that last week they went to a concert of his!

Dhakala

Banned
Yeah, I really like those Internet juke boxes! Where else can one play Guy Clark, John Prine, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, The Clancy Brothers, Perry Como, and Steppenwolf in the same set? :)

Unfortunately, it also includes Marilyn Manson, ICP, Nine-Inch Nails, and their sickening ilk. When my teenaged son puts a fiver in the box, it sounds like donkeys getting anal from orangutans on a tin roof.

We shark each other with our music. LOL!

GoldRush cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jukebox

we just went with a new vendor at our pool hall. we had internet jukebox with our service through ECAST. decided to make a change and went with a new internet downloading box through AMI. prices are cheaper for our customers, better split for us , and more music selection than ECAST has. speakers are peavys. sounds great and so far customers are happy.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dhakala said:
Do you folks maintain the same volume level throughout your rooms, or do you provide "quiet zones" for players who don't care for your current playlist or any music at all?

Well I advice that say you have a "Gambling" table/section or a shimmed table which will generally draw your better more serious players. Turn it down.

At a local pool hall one of their tripple shimmed tables has 2 speakers blasting at it. I've had to leave a few times it bugged me so much and drive to another pool hall. Which I hate because I'm not a fan of being around smoking.

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have the internet jukebox with bose speakers, it is the most democratic way of voting. If you don't like the music, vote with your dollar. We have a room with 3 bays--the center room has no speakers and is considered the players room. You can still hear the music but, it is not blasting over your head.

Dhakala

Banned
poolhall maven said:
We have the internet jukebox with bose speakers, it is the most democratic way of voting. If you don't like the music, vote with your dollar.

I wish you were right, but the "democratic way" is to vote with one's opinion, however ignorant it may be. I've proposed giving each U. S. citizen X votes to cast in every election, where X is the number of tax dollars the citizen paid in the previous year. But that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

We have a room with 3 bays--the center room has no speakers and is considered the players room. You can still hear the music but, it is not blasting over your head.

I simply unplug the speakers in the back third of my favorite pool room. :D