2008 DCC Room - ??? Name change ??? Volunteers ???

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Thanks mthornto. I posted this in another thread but thought it might be read here too.

Nice detective work Timberly....here are the quotes by Tom.

So NoStroke, the expert, still think that Tom wasn't looking forward to the AZBilliard room as a great place to hustle the nice pool folk of AZ. Believe me, if Tom was in good health the first year, things would have been different. His 'dream' wasn't winning one of the DCC tournaments. His dream was to have 10 days of cash games with the AZers & filling his pockets.

And im sure that was really aided by the 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article of his life as a hustler that he brought along and hung up on the AZB room wall.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
And im sure that was really aided by the 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article of his life as a hustler that he brought along and hung up on the AZB room wall.
Hey genius Nostroke, here is a question....Did you ever in your life meet or talk to Tom?

Was this before or after he was diagnosed with life ending cancer?

The 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article was brought & hung up when he barely had enough energy to get out of bed in the morning, had 3 months left to live in his life, and didn't think about playing pool, hustling or not, for money anymore. If you were at the DCC in 2006, you will remember that Tom spent 4-5 days there before having to go home DUE TO HIS ILLNESS. He wasn't there to hustle like he was in the years past. Go back & find his threads of how he did playing for money at the DCCs prior to 2006. And I can bet that he there aren't too many people that saw him play because he was sure to not make a big scene out of it.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I steered AZ & 1P members Tom Ferry and Danny Kolacz together in 2005 because I thought maybe they played similar speed. I'm sure they played for something, but I do not believe it was much more than what would have amounted to 'friendly' stakes for those two. IIRC Tom won the One Pocket and Danny the 9-Ball. It was described to me later as a friendly game.

I think at that stage in his life Tom had pretty much retired from hustling. In fact, I can't imagine any true hustler posting the kind of details Tom enjoyed posting on these forums if he was still scuffling 'in the trenches'. I take his word for it that he had indeed pretty much retired from hustling to push his 'Community Magnets' business.

Hustlers eventually are all forced into retirement, even the best of them, whether it's age, bad eyes or just a failing of judgement, or maybe even a day job :) . That's one of the things that makes the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner special -- all those retired hustlers that are now open to revealing their true character, in the spotlight, and it can be quite touching!

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCC AZ/One Pocket Room

I am not in favor of re-naming the room for the simple reason that for the last 4 years it has been the AZ/One Pocket room, anything else would not have the same meaning to me, whatever name you give it will still be the AZ/One Pocket Room no matter how you describe it.

Thanks,

John