Mr 600

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.

I really hope you're right here. John deserves it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want to see the entire run. Not that I am suspect about it but I am a pool nut and want to see history as it was made. Would pay reasonable $ to have it in its entirety.

I’m sure there are many who would rather see a production that has periods of impressive runs, along with a few great shots, and some commentary about the game. Maybe some of the seedy side of pool and some dames showing cleavage. Then the last shots before the record and the shots leading up to the miss. Maybe that production can get the big $ that I hope JS gets from breaking this record.

This run is a big deal! In these modern times, there needs to be video available that appeals to different types of fans. Not sure which production can pay off.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.

Not bashing but, do you:

disrespect people's "life work" much?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

sure, something like that..I wonder if he's considered the crowdfunding route
I would ask but don't have facebook
I just want to see john do well
and it would be great to talk about the pool instead of
"where's the vid"
meanwhile I'm diggin this chinese 8-ball cue..
bet it would be good for straights too
family in town this week
maybe next..

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

Of course, the longer they wait the less demand there will be.

What % of pool players (not AZ forum goers) do you think know Jason Shaw’s name vs the % that know John Schmidt’s?

It’s just Shaw’s name that got the views. No one knows who John is :( (think globally)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure...and the government wants to kill its citizens.

The Pentagon didn't get hit by a plane.

Sandy Hook never happened .

The moon landing found the moon is made of cheese...coz the craft never left Hollywood.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer

You're a little late to the party. I refer you to my post #36 from two days ago.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time

23292749-6A8E-4332-9905-1B14F37DDB12.jpeg

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
View attachment 526075

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it

I'm not saying it's a hoax, but it seems mr. Capelle didn't witness it, either...

I very much doubt it's a hoax, but I think the whole (non)release has been handled extremely poorly. Whatever money he could potentially earn from this was probably cut in half by that fact alone.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Some really good opinions/thoughts on this thread....hopefully John benefits from them.

Here are some additional thoughts.

1. I tend to agree that DVDs are and should be the secondary media format for this. I have a DVD player, but haven't purchased a DVD in years. I almost exclusively use on Demand for my entertainment content, I believe this is the future and as such John should primarily pursue this route.

2. Utilizing an on-demand format, I think there are many creative ways he could present the run of 626, thereby increasing its value. including
- being able to index/skip ahead by ball number, rack number, key balls, break balls, or time.
- having multiple commentaries: people, skill levels, etc...
- top 20 shots
- top 20 break shots
- lessons
- interactive Q&A type stuff

3. By utilizing an on-demand format, he could also charge an annual subscription that would not only allow the user to watch the run as often as they want, but he could further monetize the run by placing additional pool content on the site, such as:
- lessons
- other runs
- other matches
- product reviews
- product sales (marketplace)
- etc...

4. While none of this is easy, and some could require a significant investment, he wouldn't have to do it all at once, he could slowly build up the site using the 626 as the hook to attract people.

Of course, putting the run on a DVD and selling it is much easier and far less risky, but if John is interested in turning this accomplishment into an actual business (which he may not), I think there is a route available.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I don't think it is a hoax either. I feel like the video was probably a poor quality and it's taking a while to dress it up the best they can.

I'm sure John did the run, just feel there are probably issues with the video making it take longer. If he was initially recording it just as proof then he probably didnt care to much about the quality or setup of it, just wanted a document it. Now after the fact, the pool player wants to make money off of it, which doesn't shock me... a pool player with poor planning trying to make a nickel.

Ideally, this would have been handled as similar to his accustats video as possible. So with all the time and attempts it took to do this, he would have had to been a one man crew, but taking a little bit extra time at the beginning of the day would go along way in terms of the quality and marketability of the video.

Look at Early TAR for example. The SVB vs Corey race to 100. It was a single, high quality, camera mounted straight and never moved for the entire race. The quality looked great. Very aesthetically pleasing and easy to watch and this was over a decade ago.

Now look at John's current youtube vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdiRXXjJwQE The video quality is a bit washed out in color. Blue cloth would have probably helped that some. The camera is slighly slanted as well. Maybe that part could be straightened/corrected in post. Just little things like that will take away from the marketability of it.

Any video is great as proof of it happening, but if you want people to buy it you are going to have to make it look good too.

I'm going to buy it regardless how it looks or how they decide to sell it, but I'm a pool fanatic. If you want the random pool player/league player to buy it, the production quality is going to have to be decent, and that and promotion of it isnt gong to be free either.

You have pool players making and selling a video of a pool player playing a dead game in a dead sport. Doesn't matter how much you polish it up, you'd be lucky to pull a couple thousand dollars in profit from it. With all that being said, (especially the quality and lack of real profit) the best option for this would be for free on Youtube or a couple bucks on Vimeo or something like that, just to get the views more then anything.

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to see the entire run. Not that I am suspect about it but I am a pool nut and want to see history as it was made. Would pay reasonable $ to have it in its entirety.

I’m sure there are many who would rather see a production that has periods of impressive runs, along with a few great shots, and some commentary about the game. Maybe some of the seedy side of pool and some dames showing cleavage. Then the last shots before the record and the shots leading up to the miss. Maybe that production can get the big $ that I hope JS gets from breaking this record.

This run is a big deal! In these modern times, there needs to be video available that appeals to different types of fans. Not sure which production can pay off.

i would be pretty sure that the one with the cleavage would be the bigger seller...😝

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Phil Capelle's article for Pool and Billiards magazine includes a photo of the 527th ball.

https://i.imgur.com/0L15bXd.png

Half of me thinks that if people start questioning whether it happened, it might get John to release the run,
and half of me thinks it'd cause him to NOT release it out of spite.

At this point, I would throw him $50 for the bare run, in the same quality as his other streams,
with no commentary. Who's with me?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would do $30 for the bare run, no commentary, raw audio and the same awful quality of his 366ish run that is on youtube. the commentary track, HD visual version I would do $50.

It's ridiculously simply like I said in my previous post and it's a shame that he let all the goodwill from the run die down.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
ive said before i probably woulda paid 100 for a dvd within the first week when it was hot news
now, ya 50 i guess

im curious as well to see his reaction when he misses

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Phil Capelle's article for Pool and Billiards magazine includes a photo of the 527th ball.

https://i.imgur.com/0L15bXd.png

Half of me thinks that if people start questioning whether it happened, it might get John to release the run,
and half of me thinks it'd cause him to NOT release it out of spite.

At this point, I would throw him $50 for the bare run, in the same quality as his other streams,
with no commentary. Who's with me?

The shot for 527 was very makeable....whew!

8C7DF3F1-58BA-4CE0-AD12-71F1FB5BED39.jpeg