So I'm In Action And This Happens - WWYD?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the big deal. Some rooms have nutty guys like this, some don't. Just something for the counter to talk about, while we all spend our lives doing arbitrary things such as poking at a ball with a stick:)

Certainly not anything to get angry over as the opposing player.

I'd probably frame the 100 too. I played one guy he broke his cue while playing me. I made it into a necklace and wore it proudly the next time he came in.

The other side of the coin I broke a few cues in my day. One guy 20 years later, he still ribs at me for breaking my cue while playing him. It goes with the pool hall territory. You give it, and you take it. No biggie.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reassemble the pieces of the Franklin like a jigsaw puzzle but about 1/8 inch apart and mount it in a nice frame. :thumbup:

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't keep many pool trophies, but I'd proudly display this one.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a similar incident in our weekly nine ball tournament last week. One of the best players inadvertently scratched going from the 8 to the 9 in the hill-hill game which would have put him into the finals. When I paid him his $45 for third place, he promptly shredded all three bills into tiny pieces.

What was even stranger is that as soon as he walked out the door another player who had been watching started carefully piecing the bills together like a puzzle. He sent me a photo of the finished product, and somehow he says he managed to get them back good enough for the bank to take them. He occasionally gambles with the player who shredded up the bills, and I told him he should have kept those bills in his wallet and if he ended up playing that guy again who shredded the bills, if he lost he could pay him back with his own shredded bills!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of weeks ago I'm in action with a very strong player who is a big, burly, very p-r-i-c-k-ly fellow with a history of, well, let's just call it unpredictability. :eek: We're playing a set of 9b and he's giving me a generous spot racing to 7 for a c-note. I win 7-1 and he's extremely unhappy about it and shows it by banging his head hard on the slate a few times and grumbling. He throws my hundo up on a nearby shelf and starts to collect his gear. :angry:

The group of railbirds who were watching our match were all alarmed and quiet as church mice after this display; he was seriously pissed off. As usual, I like to try to inject humor into these kinds of situations and so I cut through the quiet by asking, "You wanna go again?" :grin-square: The railbirds all began laughing and to my astonishment he said "Sure Chicken, I'll torture myself some more", and so we began set #2.

He's starting to outrun the spot and goes up 4-3 but then he doesn't come back to the table the next 3 games and I'm on the hill. There is a wired 8-9 about 6" off the foot rail and I set up 2 times to bank at this dead combo both times missing it by a frog hair BUT on the first miss the object ball goes around it 3 rails and into the side pocket. Then on the second attempt the object ball whistles right past it at 100 mph and goes in cross corner. In my peripheral vision I'm seeing steam come out his ears and he's starting to grumble more and squirm in his seat. :angry: My next shot I'm off angle too far to hold for a cross-side bank so I decide to try to kick it in, it was off the rail enough to get behind it and it looked good to me. I freakin miscue but still make the shot - it sounded horrible but the ball tracked dead center into the cross side. Holy shit, I think if I was him I would wanted to kill me, too. :eek: :angry: :yikes: :bash:

I finish off the last couple balls and in utter disgust he walks away toward a far wall and begins whacking himself in the forehead and making this crazy noise I remember from old-cartoons when depicting a crazy person; sounds something like ayeyiyiyi. He starts getting his gear together again and no way am I asking this time if he wants to go one more time. He heads for the bathroom and then comes back and says "fvck you Chicken, I hate you' as he flings my c-note, all shredded in little pieces onto the table, and then leaves.

I know what I did.

WWYD?

best,
brian kc

What would I do? Get out the ****ing scotch tape. No way I would confront him after that display!!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dippy Dave paid a guy $500 to leave the action room at the DCC...
...but first he ripped it up.
John sold it for $400...the guy taped it together and made a quick $100.
In your case, Brian, you could get $50 for it.

Personally, I would collect the pieces and put it in an envelope...
...if the guy ever beats me for a $100 bet....that’s how he’s getting paid.

Awesome!!:thumbup:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, just yours.

Tough crowd. ;)

You already had my greenie and I couldn't give another one but I tried.

I know I am right, you got $300 for the evening, question is, did you keep the third one?

1st = First game.

2nd = You took the pieces to your bank, they said they will check it out and put the money into your bank account when the serial numbers match up properly.

3rd = When the guy came back to the tables at some point, he looked you in the eye and admitted what he did was wrong and handed you a another $100. (My assumption is the guy has no clue you could do that with torn up money.)

You were then forced to make a decision, did you, yes or no, keep the third one or did you take the chance at angering him again?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
You already had my greenie and I couldn't give another one but I tried.

I know I am right, you got $300 for the evening, question is, did you keep the third one?

1st = First game.

2nd = You took the pieces to your bank, they said they will check it out and put the money into your bank account when the serial numbers match up properly.

3rd = When the guy came back to the tables at some point, he looked you in the eye and admitted what he did was wrong and handed you a another $100. (My assumption is the guy has no clue you could do that with torn up money.)

You were then forced to make a decision, did you, yes or no, keep the third one or did you take the chance at angering him again?

Hi David, and thanks. No I didn't end up with a total of $300

I will let you guys know what the result was tomorrow not trying to keep anybody in suspense I just have to wait until I'm home to access a file that I need to post.

Still enjoying the responses.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
People like that have serious internal issues, theure damaged from abuse as children or whatever else. You won, regardless, unless youre desperate for the m oney, let the guy deal with himself while you came out with a story worth more than a 100

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi David, and thanks. No I didn't end up with a total of $300

I will let you guys know what the result was tomorrow not trying to keep anybody in suspense I just have to wait until I'm home to access a file that I need to post.

Still enjoying the responses.

Darn, so much for positive thinking.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just an fyi for anyone trying to piece together the money in their mind, those were two $50's shredded on the table. ;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I would collect up all the pieces, save them and wait. Next time there is a chance to play
him for another C note, I ask for the wack, I ask for a spot and if I get to the hill and get
on the 9, I break down my cue and tell him he's won, and pay him with the same C note.

... or I frame it and see about hanging it where he can always see it

^^^^ this...............

It could be removed for the cost of a replacement

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an fyi for anyone trying to piece together the money in their mind, those were two $50's shredded on the table. ;)

If you still have them, you should auction them off here!

Someone could make one of those sports memorabilia shadow boxes with some pics, a nice print-out of the story, and the pieces of the bills.

Better yet, you have it made and sign it! I betcha you'll get a lot more than $100 and your costs!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
When I paid him his $45 for third place, he promptly shredded all three bills into tiny pieces.

What did you give him, three fifteens?

They don't make $15's. Probably more like two $10's and a $25. :wink:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once upon a time I played some notorious nit who hung around my local poolroom knocking games and only playing someone with the dead nuts. I could probably give him 8-7 (he could play!) back then and have a good chance to beat him, but every time he saw me he asked for 8-5 and the break! I just laughed at him.

One day he and I got into a verbal tussle over a $10 side bet and one thing led to another. I asked him to play me for it, except we bet 20 a game. This time lo and behold he asked me for 8-6 and the break! Maybe he was feeling guilty for stealing so much from everyone in the joint. I told him he had a game!

I knew it was tough action for me, but he had me hot and I wanted a piece of him. He couldn't back out in front of all the sweaters, so he got his cue. All I remember (this was mid 80's) is that the first game was tough and he needed one ball and I needed four or five. I played him tight as a drum and picked off one ball at a time, and won the game. He was weak as a kitten after that and proceeded to lose four more games in rapid order.

He was triple hot and threw a wadded up hundred dollar bill on the table as he stormed off. I took that bill and wrote "Won from --- at House of Billiards". I brought it back in and showed it off to everybody a few times, even when he was right there. He never asked me to play again!

Last edited: