Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player I know in the Sioux Falls area is supposed to get his today. I'm not sure when he ordered or who from.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I have one of the prototypes now that I have been letting people hit. Here is my feedback as well as what I have heard.

My feedback is that it was a soft hit and english is effortless. I have shot it with a steel joint and a wood joint and I personally couldn't tell a difference. Very low deflection and very low vibration.

Here is the feedback I have received from others. Almost everyone I have let hit the cue said that it hit better than a revo, and that is from people who own a revo. I actually have someone who will be selling their revo to get a deft shaft. I also had an instructor say that it hits better than a revo and the cuetec shaft.

But certain people will like certain shafts and certain hits. Where one person may love the defy shaft, another may not like it as much or at all. The best thing would be just to hit it.

Thank you for your opinion on the Defy. I am and have always been, a solid maple guy. However, I will be trying to find one of these to try in the near future.

Weber

Registered
I preordered a Defy Shaft from a retailers a couple months ago but still no word on when it will deliver. Has anyone heard anything concrete about when they will start delivering?

I preorder in Aug or Sept and mine is arriving tomorrow.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think the muted feedback is due to construction or tip hardness?
I tried a Prime M and did find it kind of numb.

Probably depends on the type of filler (foam) used, inside the shaft. JMO.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
So I've seen a few comparisons with it and the BE but after spending some time with the BE I noticed it was just a little too flexible. This caused some shot inconsistencies when shooting firm with spin. Is the Defy stiffer than the BE but still quiet?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got mine a couple weeks ago, I'll put the disclaimer that I'm terrible at pool so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've owned the Revo, Go2, CueTec and now the Defy in 12mm.

Draw is effortless, I can snap a full table draw shot on the bar box with ease, but it took some getting use to if I want to draw say a diamond or two and found myself overdrawing a lot.

Top seems to require a little more of a stroke then I'm use to. I don't know if it's because I'm use to a little more front end weight (recently stopped using a mid extension)

I'm finding that the deflection when going inside and outside is about the same as a Z2. I've run the same test that Dr. Dave ran and I think it has less deflection then the CueTec although I'm probably not near as accurate with hitting my exact spot on the ball as Dr. Dave so take that with a grain of salt. I believe it has a little less deflection then the CueTec and it runs pretty close to the Revo.

There is very little to no vibration. If you like a really soft hit this is the cue for you. I personally hate Navigator Tips, just not a fan of the feel. I switched it to a SIB Pro and there isn't a lot of feel but it moves the CB great.

So far CueTec is still my favorite. I don't know if it's because I have the most time with it or what it is, I've just preferred that over everything else so far, the Defy is 2nd on my list and may move up once I spend more time with it. Right now I'm just having fun trying the new ones and since I'm never going to be world class I have fun running through equipment and trying out the fads. The BlaK is next on my list.

Weber

Registered
My shaft came in today and I was able to shoot some balls with it.

It’s really lightweight, I think because of the weight difference it causes more action from a normal stroke.

The tip is soft but feels good. No vibration, nice and smooth, and action is almost effortless.

OhioNuke

Registered
Anyone have any updates on their first hand experience with the new McDermott Defy carbon fiber shaft? Sounds promising. Would like to try one before I commit but none available locally anytime soon.
Thanks!

Weber

Registered
Hands down best CF I have used. Only problem is they are back logged on filling orders, I’m ordering two more of them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Marie's sign.jpg
Your avatar pic of the Marie's Golden Cue sign reminds me of the time, about 3 years ago, when a friend of mine had just purchased Marie's and started to renovate it into what is now Surge Billiards in Chicago (pic below).

During community meetings about the new place, the one thing we heard most from neighbors was "take that damned sign down!" Some people just can't take a joke, even after decades of hearing it... :)

pj
chgo

IMG_2812 small.JPG
IMG_2621.jpg

Last edited:

Weber

Registered
Your avatar pic of the Marie's Golden Cue sign reminds me of the time, about 3 years ago, when a friend of mine had just purchased Marie's and started to renovate it into what is now Surge Billiards in Chicago (pic below).

During community meetings about the new place, the one thing we heard most from neighbors was "take that damned sign down!" Some people just can't take a joke, even after decades of hearing it... :)

pj
chgo

View attachment 540602
View attachment 540604

Lol, that’s crazy.

amonkire

Registered
I agree, I shoot with a i3 and defy, both are good but price to me is the dif defy or no shaft for that matter is worth $400+?! you got that much extra in your pocket spend it on lessons!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, I shoot with a i3 and defy, both are good but price to me is the dif defy or no shaft for that matter is worth $400+?! you got that much extra in your pocket spend it on lessons!

OP asked for performance review not for some tightwad's economic theorys.:rolleyes:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Any opinions would be welcomed.

Total crap. It dampens down the energy of the cue ball. I played with it for about an hour and half and was worn out and changed back
to my Jacoby Hybrids and decided not to buy the used one being offered by the original buyer. If you over hit the ball too much maybe but hits like a wet 2 x 4.

More accurately I call it the Deny rather than Defy. It controls your cue ball travel distance by subtraction. You'll have to learn to over hit the shot.

Last edited: