Betmore's Basement

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I had to be in Indy. I PMed WBM Tuesday to see if he would like to meet for some pool. He then came back with a counter offer, "You come over to my house?".

I got there sometime around 4:00. The Betmore basement is a very nice room. There are movie stills and stills from TV shows all over the walls. In the middle of the room there is a beautiful GCIV.

He asked me, "what do you normally play?" I said, "Nineball". He insisted on racking and my having the first break. On the first break I made a ball and sent the 9 ball straight to the jaws of the lefthand bottom pocket. I had a long shot on the one, I made it. but did not have a great shot on the two. I decided to play a carom to the nine. So, I win the first rack. Next rack, I break dry and Willie pushed out or missed, I don't remember the specifics. I got back to the table and ran the rack out. Running that rack got me a little excited. I was shaking, breathing was heavy like adrenaline was pumping through me. I thought, 'I am going to have a heart attack in the Betmore basement, what kind of a guest would that make me?'

I break the third rack and came up dry, that's when I discovered the best part of the Betmore basement, the nicest player's chair I have ever sat down in. That was it, I was in love with this chair. It was wide, very well padded and it reclined. Willie was having a hard time getting me out of it. I just sat there and watched him shoot. I was content in this little piece of Heaven on Earth.

After we played for a couple hours, he invited me upstairs to dinner. His wife and daughter had prepared a very nice meal. The two of them were very nice to a stranger. The Betmores are very good people, that is par for the course in Indiana, but they go above and beyond.

We went back to the basement and played some 14.1. I loved it, I played poorly, but loved it. I would like to learn the game. He was explaining why this ball is better than that one for a break shot. It was very interesting.

After all the hospitality the Betmores showed me, I feel a little selfish, hogging that fine chair for so long. If I am ever invited back, I will try to concentrate on giving Willie a little more a$$ time. :)

Thanks again, Williebetmore.

Tracy

Sore_Aintya

Donating money since 1985
Silver Member
I have been invited, but I have heard so many nice things about this 'Dungeon', I fear I may never leave once there. I'm afraid I would build a fort underneath the table and live there forever, never to see my wife, kids or the blue sky again.

Congratulations to you for having the willpower to leave.:D

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sore_Aintya said:
I have been invited, but I have heard so many nice things about this 'Dungeon', I fear I may never leave once there. I'm afraid I would build a fort underneath the table and live there forever, never to see my wife, kids or the blue sky again.

Congratulations to you for having the willpower to leave.:D
There is strength in numbers. My son was with me and he dragged me out. :(
Which cornfield do you live by?

Tracy

Sore_Aintya

Donating money since 1985
Silver Member
14 corn and 9 soybean fields North of State Road 28, East of Alexandria.

This map may make it easier.:D

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
I feel a little selfish, hogging that fine chair for so long.

T-man,
Don't even mention it, as a host I want my guests to be as comfortable as possible FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

In all seriousness though, thanks for the write-up. I always have encouraged AZB'ers to play some pool in "Betmore's Basement." It is a tremendous treat to get to play with serious pool players (by definition, anyone who wastes as much time as we do on the net). As you know, I'm relatively new to the game, and I have no one locally to play with AT ALL (except for the pro's, who keep me sitting most of the time). So when someone wants to come over and play til we drop, I'm ecstatic.

Many thanks for making the trip, I really enjoyed the sets - you have a very good game. Hope to see you make the trek again sometime soon.

P.S. - When you ran the first 2 racks (I never got to shoot at a ball) I thought I was in BIG TROUBLE - you've got some game.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Sore_Aintya said:
I have(?n't) been invited, .:D

Sore-One,
If you were trying to say that you haven't been invited, I should correct you. I have posted many open invitations to AZB'ers to visit. I get very few takers, but have had some great games with AZB'ers like StraightPoolIU, sjm, FenderTwoTwenty, zeeder, Steev, and Grady Mathews. I'm hopeful that eales and RunaRak will soon make an appearance.

As I've said before, the pool, food, and beverages are free; but my wife would take a chainsaw to anyone trying to smoke in the house.

Last edited:

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
As I've said before, the pool, food, and beverages are free; but my wife would take a chainsaw to anyone trying to smoke in the house.
Glad I left the smokes in the car. :eek:
I had two finished off, before I got out of the subdivision. ;)

Tracy

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Glad I left the smokes in the car. :eek:
I had two finished off, before I got out of the subdivision. ;)

Tracy

T,
When Steev came to play, he just took a smoke break every so often (nothing wrong with smoking out back on the patio); no gunfire from the wife.

I also neglected to mention how enjoyable it was playing ACTUAL POOL - most of my pool time is practicing, and it was great to have some competition (though I was DEFINITELY experiencing some tension at the end of the 9-ball racks - I liked that part a lot, got the juices flowing).

RunArak

Dead Account
Silver Member
Don, I hope to come and receive a lesson from you very soon too. No worries about the smoke coming from Runarak (I really shoud be WannaRunarak) because I don't partake in the smoking activity.
Looking forward to the Betmore basement visit too. Let me know when you return from your weekend travels.

Peace, Joe

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only a few cornfields from there in Muncie.
And Willie, I'll come down sometime and let you teach me Straight pool or any other game you want to play. I know a few of the basic rules, so I can at least get started.

POOL--- It's just balls and a stick, you line em up, take your time and shoot em' in the holes.............. Sam

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
satman said:
POOL--- It's just balls and a stick, you line em up, take your time and shoot em' in the holes.............. Sam

Sorry Sam, taking time is not allowed in Fast Willies basement ;) ... didn't you see the slow player thread ?

Dave

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
satman said:
I'm only a few cornfields from there in Muncie.
And Willie, I'll come down sometime and let you teach me Straight pool or any other game you want to play. I know a few of the basic rules, so I can at least get started.

satman,
Well, I always thought you were ducking me. Then when I saw you play at DCC I decided that you were just worried that some of my bad habits and slovenly play would rub off on you.

Anyway, I've spent a LOT of time on the stroke and game since DCC (I've improved nearly up to my goal of well-below-average); so hopefully I won't drag you down too far. You are welcome any time.

P.S. - I've had a fair amount of time playing the pro's over the past several months; so my racking skills are really honed right now - for those that don't know it, satman's opponents spend some serious time racking.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Sorry Sam, taking time is not allowed in Fast Willies basement ;) ... didn't you see the slow player thread ?

Dave

K-man,
It's pretty obvious you haven't seen satman play. At DCC the tables had the gully ball returns that made a fair amount of noise for several seconds as the balls rolled to the collection area. When satman played, the noise NEVER STOPPED. He made those freakin' balls so fast it made your head spin. You didn't even have to look at the table. As soon as the noise stopped, you knew it was time to rack 'em again.

P.S. - I'm only partially kidding.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Sore_Aintya said:

Actually I have it on good authority that the only reason he put the pool table in the basement in the first place was to cover over the 10' deep pit in the floor.

It puts the 9 Ball in the basket.... ;-)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
Actually I have it on good authority that the only reason he put the pool table in the basement in the first place was to cover over the 10' deep pit in the floor.

It puts the 9 Ball in the basket.... ;-)

AD,
THERE IS NO PIT UNDER THE POOL TABLE!!!! (it's over by the television)

I DO NOT KEEP GIRLS IN A PIT!!!! (it's just in case breakup ever comes over)

That is all.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
...that's when I discovered the best part of the Betmore basement, the nicest player's chair I have ever sat down in. That was it, I was in love with this chair. It was wide, very well padded and it reclined. Willie was having a hard time getting me out of it. I just sat there and watched him shoot. I was content in this little piece of Heaven on Earth.
...Tracy

The dang chair rocks back a little when you sit in it. It's got a bar rail for a footrest. EASILY the best pool chair I've ever seen.

-s

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Even though Willie didn't mention me *my game is hardly worth mentioning anyhow* I too have experienced the nirvana that is Betmore's Basement. I hope to make it back eventually!

I am, however, looking forward to watching Willie play next weekend at Bullpen Billiards in Collinsville, IL! *I'm supposed to play too but I'm sure I'll be "watching from the bleachers"!*

Last edited:

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
steev said:
The dang chair rocks back a little when you sit in it. It's got a bar rail for a footrest. EASILY the best pool chair I've ever seen.

-s
If you weren't so busy running out, you could have tried it out. ;) It rocks, literally and figuratively.

Tracy