JB Weld Seam Chip Fix

SlateMate

Banned
the professional who set this table up before i bought it had this slate seam chip filled with wax. :eek: i repaired it correctly using JB Weld. below are the before and after pics. i also repaired two other smaller areas but this one was the worst.

Attachments

• DSCF3540.JPG
    DSCF3540.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 557
  • DSCF3542.JPG
    DSCF3542.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 562

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a great idea. I'll bet the pros are studying it right now. I wonder what they think?

SlateMate

Banned
THANKS! yes, they are but they will never admit that it's the best way to fix a slate chip. ;) they are probably going to say that this is a doctored photo et...

here are the other two chips on the center slate that were fixed with also fixed with JB Weld.

Attachments

• DSCF3541.JPG
    DSCF3541.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF3543.JPG
    DSCF3543.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 510
  • DSCF3544.JPG
    DSCF3544.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Looks like a great idea. I'll bet the pros are studying it right now. I wonder what they think?

Hmmmm....what do I think, as a Pro about JB Weld....well, it seems it's not all that strong, seeings how it couldn't keep either one of you trolls stuck on AZB:eek:....see you again under your new NEXT screen names, shouldn't be much longer now!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm....what do I think, as a Pro about JB Weld....well, it seems it's not all that strong, seeings how it couldn't keep either one of you trolls stuck on AZB:eek:....see you again under your new NEXT screen names, shouldn't be much longer now!
LOL. That's toooooooooooooooo funny 'snake.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THANKS! yes, they are but they will never admit that it's the best way to fix a slate chip. ;) they are probably going to say that this is a doctored photo et...

here are the other two chips on the center slate that were fixed with also fixed with JB Weld.

Slatemate,

That sure is a good looking repair. Is JB Weld as tough as bondo? Is it fairly easy to shape? Does it shrink or expand over time?

It seems to me that it may be helpful to others here at AZB. I, for one, would like to know more about how you went about preparing the surface and about how you worked off the excess.

Would you consider making an instructional video on how you did the job?

If so, it would be great to post it here.

Best regards,

BOXCAR

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slatemate,

That sure is a good looking repair. Is JB Weld as tough as bondo? Is it fairly easy to shape? Does it shrink or expand over time?

It seems to me that it may be helpful to others here at AZB. I, for one, would like to know more about how you went about preparing the surface and about how you worked off the excess.

Would you consider making an instructional video on how you did the job?

If so, it would be great to post it here.

Best regards,

BOXCAR

He would probably answer but he was banned. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Have you used any of the dental products for repair? My slates had a few chunks missing near the joint pins...someone probably lifted when he should have pulled...and 1/8 inch deep and wide scratches or gouges up to 2 feet long from being stacked with exposed screws from the other slate backing wood.

I read somewhere about a dental die stone mix that was fast curing, good adhesion, low shrink and saw some slate repairs done with it.

I contacted the company on the website and they actually sent free samples that were more than I needed...and I had a lot of repairs to make. You mix with water, stir, and work fast because it sets pretty quick. I put it on with a wood tongue repressor and smoothed it level with a razor blade. In most cases no sanding was necessary since it is so smooth and low shrink. It is rock hard, doesn't cast off dust like bondo can and adheres well to slate. There are similar products aimed at the people who do granite/quartz countertop repair but the dental die cast material is priced much better and easier to find.

I found later that Muellers actually used to sell it for table slate as well. They listed it as a seam filler. I wouldn't use it for that.

WhipMix Jadestone Green
3c5af994df84713b7190fe2688261089.jpg
8cd186b23933fb7f37496f6c81fe09d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Most people who tend to over think things, tend to over complicate things as well.

The JadeStone when hard has a compressive strength of 14,000 psi which just happens to be the same as slate. Body filler is fine for a screw hole outside the playing field or in a narrow slit but is fairly soft. A big repair out in the center of a slate where a jumped ball could land is maybe better done with something harder.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The JadeStone when hard has a compressive strength of 14,000 psi which just happens to be the same as slate. Body filler is fine for a screw hole outside the playing field or in a narrow slit but is fairly soft. A big repair out in the center of a slate where a jumped ball could land is maybe better done with something harder.

Then comes the problem of people using it in the seams of the slate.....now what are the seams going to look like after being filled with that? Are they still going to come apart just as they do with bondo??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A big repair out in the center of a slate where a jumped ball could land is maybe better done with something harder.

How many times have you personally seen bondo fail on slate? I never have in my 38 years of working on pool tables, so why would I change to some other kind of repair?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Then comes the problem of people using it in the seams of the slate.....now what are the seams going to look like after being filled with that? Are they still going to come apart just as they do with bondo??
In my first post I mentioned that I would not use it for seams.
It would be very difficult to clean up after doing a tear down. I only see it as a permanent chip and scratch filler out in the field of a slate.

How many times have you personally seen bondo fail on slate? I never have in my 38 years of working on pool tables, so why would I change to some other kind of repair?

I suppose you shouldn't.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Do you use wax on seams?

BOXCAR
If they are nice clean tight seams wax is a good choice along with superglue and a thin paper combo to keep them together...but I am just an amateur.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In my first post I mentioned that I would not use it for seams.
It would be very difficult to clean up after doing a tear down. I only see it as a permanent chip and scratch filler out in the field of a slate.

I suppose you shouldn't.

The next time I run across a 3 piece slate put together with JB weld, I'll be sure to pass along the work to whom ever thinks JB Weld is great for filling chips in the slates...as well as filling the seams with too!!