Moving to Washington DC

JohnDoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone.

I'm relocating to the DC area this weekend but am in town tonight with my dearest cue and was hoping to scope out the scene tonight. What are the go to spots in the DC area?

Thanks
Krishna

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're in the suburbs, First Break in Sterling VA has handicapped 9 ball tourney at 8pm. There is action too if you're looking for that.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone.

I'm relocating to the DC area this weekend but am in town tonight with my dearest cue and was hoping to scope out the scene tonight. What are the go to spots in the DC area?

Thanks
Krishna

First Break in Sterling is one good option, but it's 45 minutes west of DC.

There's usually day time action at Fast Eddie's in Springfield, but it's 35 minutes south of DC.

If you're literally in DC, then Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan is a good place.

Closer to DC, but in Arlington, is Lucy's (f/k/a Champions) in Shirlington.

Galaxy Billiards in Silver Spring is ok, but I like the others better.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone.

Thanks
Krishna

There is not much in D.C. as far as an old-fashioned pool room. Most of them are more like sports bars.

Cory in DC gave you a few good leads where you can play pool.

Baltimore has some old-fashioned pool rooms. Once you get settled in, you might want to check out one of the weekend tournaments there.

Also, the Action Tour, I think it is called, is a regiona tour that has weekend tournaments. This would be a great place for you to hook up with other players in our area. I'm in D.C. myself.

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Hi-Cue Billiards is in Arlington, 24 or something Gold Crowns, 2 Snooker tables...20 minutes or something west

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi-Cue Billiards is in Arlington, 24 or something Gold Crowns, 2 Snooker tables...20 minutes or something west

I might have to check this one out myself. Two snooker tables? That sounds great! Thanks for the info! :)

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great well taken care of tables. But 99% of visitors are Spanish, quite place in week days, but buzzing during weekends, holidays, and on rainy days. Oh and they got a KENO board, for those that used to play it in the DC area back in the 80's you know who you are!!

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Break in Sterling is one good option, but it's 45 minutes west of DC.

There's usually day time action at Fast Eddie's in Springfield, but it's 35 minutes south of DC.

If you're literally in DC, then Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan is a good place.

Closer to DC, but in Arlington, is Lucy's (f/k/a Champions) in Shirlington.

Galaxy Billiards in Silver Spring is ok, but I like the others better.

Hi Cory,
Not sure if you been to Lucy's last week, they replaced the cloth on the 1st 4 tables, leveled, and they are great, soon they will cover the rest;

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Cory,
Not sure if you been to Lucy's last week, they replaced the cloth on the 1st 4 tables, leveled, and they are great, soon they will cover the rest;

Big things are coming, for Lucy's.

I hope they pull it out of the crapper...It was really nice when we first opened it!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone.

Thanks
Krishna

And the DC area is pertty wide. Where you gonna be? VA? MD? DC proper?

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
Welcome to DC!!

Hey everyone.

Thanks
Krishna

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Maybe I'm biased cuz it's closer for me, but it seems like the northern VA pool halls are nicer than DC or maryland halls. Like there are two or three places here with really good equipment and atmosphere. Lucy's tables didn't play very level, bedrock felt like a bit of a dungeon, had a bad experience with hi-cue charging really random rates like "it goes up 2 dollars on alternating thursdays depending on table size". If you can stand a little driving, you got lots of good options in northern VA. Try first break (diamonds), breakers in herndon (shimmed gold crowns with really fresh cloth, one diamond-like double shimmed table), q-ball (well maintained gold crowns, one tight and the rest pretty easy).

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great well taken care of tables. But 99% of visitors are Spanish, quite place in week days, but buzzing during weekends, holidays, and on rainy days. Oh and they got a KENO board, for those that used to play it in the DC area back in the 80's you know who you are!!

Good news. I understand Lucy's is going to do the rest over the summer.

To me, Lucy's has more of a pool hall feel than a sports bar feel, except for Friday and Saturday nights (live music / karaoke).

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good news. I understand Lucy's is going to do the rest over the summer.

To me, Lucy's has more of a pool hall feel than a sports bar feel, except for Friday and Saturday nights (live music / karaoke).

Will see with Danny G helping i think it has good chance of picking up, will see.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will see with Danny G helping i think it has good chance of picking up, will see.

If Danny Green is there, it will be happening. I might drive on over just to say hi. I always liked Danny, known him since he was a pup.

What days will he be there? Is he running weekly tournaments?

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Danny Green is there, it will be happening. I might drive on over just to say hi. I always liked Danny, known him since he was a pup.

What days will he be there? Is he running weekly tournaments?

Danny is great, I do not think he is there all the time, no tournaments as of yet, call before you go to be sure, i know it is lots of miles for you..

JohnDoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, sorry to revive this dead thread, but I have just now gotten settled in and will be back to playing pool at almost full speed. I live in DC proper in the Cleveland Park neighborhood, but I do not mind driving. I have to briefly drive into work tomorrow morning, but was planning on spending the rest of the day at First Break. Unfortunately, I see that there is an Action Pool Tour event going on tomorrow. Will that make it unlikely that I can get a table to practice on tomorrow? If so, I was planning on heading to Breakers in Herndon to take advantage of their special. Any advice?

Best,
Krishna

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
0% chance getting a table on the first day of any APT event at first break.
First break only has 9 tables I believe. On the 2nd day when it's down to final four or
whatever, you can get a table. Breakers special is great. Personally I'm gonna go watch the APT.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best action might be at top hat Fast Eddies is ok but mostly one pocket tue night turny at big daddy's is a good one also no hcp

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, sorry to revive this dead thread, but I have just now gotten settled in and will be back to playing pool at almost full speed. I live in DC proper in the Cleveland Park neighborhood, but I do not mind driving. I have to briefly drive into work tomorrow morning, but was planning on spending the rest of the day at First Break. Unfortunately, I see that there is an Action Pool Tour event going on tomorrow. Will that make it unlikely that I can get a table to practice on tomorrow? If so, I was planning on heading to Breakers in Herndon to take advantage of their special. Any advice?

Best,
Krishna

Welcome to DC. Atomic Billiards is a fun neighborhood bar type place in Cleveland Park, with 6 8' tables and a good beer selection. You're a short drive to Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan (if you don't mind the bus, one goes from Cleveland Park to the corner of 18th/Columbia). Bedrock does have some light action now and then, and good tables.

But for real pool, you do have to get out of the city.