Philosophy of buying, selling, and keeping my shooting cue

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
This is not really a direct question, but more wondering who else finds themselves in my position or what you think of my position.

I have been playing pool for 4 years - I am no world beater but I do hold my own. I have owned a number of different cues. My first cue was a players, and shortly after purchase I added on the players hxt shaft. A couple different iterations of OB cues followed, then a pechauer, a Brent Summers, and then back to OB.

For the past few months I have been playing with a regular 'ole Schmelke. Last September I put in an order with Diveney for a totally custom full splice with veneers, inlays, and rings to suit me, and a lakewood shaft to seal the deal. When I was using the Schmelke, I couldn't wait for the Diveney. I was playing good with the Schmelke, just about as good as I ever have been. But it wasn't a special cue, just cocobolo and maple, but then again you can reduce all cues to sound that boring if you want to. I was ready to have a dollar value on a cue match what I think my game is currently at. I mean if I am spending all this time playing pool I should be holding exactly the cue I want, right? I received the Diveney a couple weeks ago and let me tell you - it really is sweet. It fit my specifications perfectly, and although it is quite a bit stiffer than the 12mm Schmelke, it too plays really well and inspires confidence when I'm shooting. Sure I have to learn all the nuances, but I already feel pretty good shooting with it, just need to spend some time practicing before I can hit those money shots in one pocket.

This all brings me to today. Wondering why I am toting around 1200 bucks worth of cue when the 160 dollar Schmelke shot just fine as well. And I am not trying to debate with anyone about the indian vs the arrow philosophy, because I agree it's how you shoot, not the cue you shoot with. What I am trying to come to terms with is, among you fine folks who can afford to buy whatever cue you want (ok I can't afford ANY cue, but this Diveney certainly didn't put me in debt) how do you justify the value in the cue to yourself to continue playing with it? When do you decide that a very nice cue you have is up for sale or when you know you will keep it forever? I feel like I am in constant battle with myself - I am always waiting to upgrade to a better cue, and once I get the nice cue I have a realization that I should just be using whatever cue comes my way and sell the nice cue in favor of something as basic as it gets. And the cycle continues.

Is it possible I haven't truly honed in on the hit of a cue I prefer? Am I simply addicted to ordering new cues and opening up the package? Am I purchasing cues in the wrong cost segment?

I want to hear what you think.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The only person you have to please is yourself. If you're still trying to come to grips with the purchase, then you're not ready. Man up and enjoy your Diveney.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The only person you have to please is yourself. If you're still trying to come to grips with the purchase, then you're not ready. Man up and enjoy your Diveney, or sell it and say you gave it up for Lent.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not really a direct question, but more wondering who else finds themselves in my position or what you think of my position.

I have been playing pool for 4 years - I am no world beater but I do hold my own. I have owned a number of different cues. My first cue was a players, and shortly after purchase I added on the players hxt shaft. A couple different iterations of OB cues followed, then a pechauer, a Brent Summers, and then back to OB.

For the past few months I have been playing with a regular 'ole Schmelke. Last September I put in an order with Diveney for a totally custom full splice with veneers, inlays, and rings to suit me, and a lakewood shaft to seal the deal. When I was using the Schmelke, I couldn't wait for the Diveney. I was playing good with the Schmelke, just about as good as I ever have been. But it wasn't a special cue, just cocobolo and maple, but then again you can reduce all cues to sound that boring if you want to. I was ready to have a dollar value on a cue match what I think my game is currently at. I mean if I am spending all this time playing pool I should be holding exactly the cue I want, right? I received the Diveney a couple weeks ago and let me tell you - it really is sweet. It fit my specifications perfectly, and although it is quite a bit stiffer than the 12mm Schmelke, it too plays really well and inspires confidence when I'm shooting. Sure I have to learn all the nuances, but I already feel pretty good shooting with it, just need to spend some time practicing before I can hit those money shots in one pocket.

This all brings me to today. Wondering why I am toting around 1200 bucks worth of cue when the 160 dollar Schmelke shot just fine as well. And I am not trying to debate with anyone about the indian vs the arrow philosophy, because I agree it's how you shoot, not the cue you shoot with. What I am trying to come to terms with is, among you fine folks who can afford to buy whatever cue you want (ok I can't afford ANY cue, but this Diveney certainly didn't put me in debt) how do you justify the value in the cue to yourself to continue playing with it? When do you decide that a very nice cue you have is up for sale or when you know you will keep it forever? I feel like I am in constant battle with myself - I am always waiting to upgrade to a better cue, and once I get the nice cue I have a realization that I should just be using whatever cue comes my way and sell the nice cue in favor of something as basic as it gets. And the cycle continues.

Is it possible I haven't truly honed in on the hit of a cue I prefer? Am I simply addicted to ordering new cues and opening up the package? Am I purchasing cues in the wrong cost segment?

Here we go again. Is it the arrow or the indian? Pick a cue you like and learn to play with it. The game is about consistency and if you keep switching cues and shafts it's tough for those of us that do not have that god given talent of being a "natural" to be consistent. Or maybe you just like to buy cues. I know a guy that has over 40 of them and is still in the market for more even though he says he is not. I know several guys that have over 20. I play an entry level Joss. It has 2 identical shafts. I can switch one shaft for the other when one is getting re tipped and/or cleaned and I can't feel a difference between the two. That's all I play with because I am looking to be consistent.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The only person you have to please is yourself. If you're still trying to come to grips with the purchase, then you're not ready. Man up and enjoy your Diveney, or sell it if you can't come around to appreciating it.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
pool

Don't think.
Don't cycle.
Just play pool , enjoy it and give your mind a rest.

Tittyhooked

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible I haven't truly honed in on the hit of a cue I prefer?

Yes.

Am I simply addicted to ordering new cues and opening up the package?

Probably, but you will continue to do so until you find "the cue".

Am I purchasing cues in the wrong cost segment?

Focus more on finding a shaft and tip combo that you like. I had a cue that played like crap with its shaft when I put my favorite shaft on the butt it played 5 times better.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible I haven't truly honed in on the hit of a cue I prefer?

Am I simply addicted to ordering new cues and opening up the package?

Am I purchasing cues in the wrong cost segment?

Time to schedule an appointment with a shrink.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
People will argue (endlessly :) over the percentages, but the vast majority of the playability of a cue resides in the tip. Tips are cheap(ish) and easy to replace. So first, find a tip you like. Most of the rest of the playability of a cue comes from the shaft. So, next find a shaft you like. Then find a pretty cue butt, if you want. Buying whole cues just to test tips is going to be costly.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do what makes you happy. Ive been shooting with the same cue for 30 years...Im boring that way. I see some guys with a new cue almost every week. Who's right? This is supposed to be fun, right?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I feel like I am in constant battle with myself - I am always waiting to upgrade to a better cue, and once I get the nice cue I have a realization that I should just be using whatever cue comes my way and sell the nice cue in favor of something as basic as it gets.

When you look at a cue and say to yourself, "that's better than what I have", what specifically do you think is better about it?

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Well, there are certainly some beautiful cues out there ( with some beautiful price tags ) and cues with all the latest super duper this and that. Not saying I wouldn't like to have some of them.

I just don't think they would make me a better player. Sure, you want to find one that you like the looks, feel, and hit of, but you don't have to spend a lot of money to do that.

I played with house sticks most of my life (59 now) and we used to love seeing somebody come in the bar with one of them fancy 2 piece cues. Always loved asking them about their cue and telling them how pretty it was while I took their money.

My favorite cue right now is one I picked up for $35. Solid maple shaft and I put one of Pooldawgs
Milkduds on it and installed a leather wrap myself. Looks good (to me) and I love the feel and hit as much as any I've tried.

Ok, enough of this. I'm going to the "For Sale" section and look at Tascarillas.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sort of been in a similar position to this. Last year I ordered my idea of the perfect cue. About 9 months later it arrived and it was everything I hoped it would be, it was absolute perfection! So perfect that I worried about it a little too much and after shooting with it for a couple weeks I stopped taking it to league and started playing with a less expensive cue I had. Then I bought a different less expensive cue and I liked it a lot, a great shooter. But I was never really happy or content and had a wandering eye, looking at all sorts of cues.

Finally I made myself really think about things. Did I need my really nice custom ordered cue? No. But did I want to give the cue up, absolutely not! Like I said, it was the realization of my idea of the perfect cue, I had no desire to ever get rid of it so I knew I wanted to keep it. So then I made myself think about what I wanted it to be like in 10 years. Did I want to keep that perfect cue perfect, stored in a case most of the time so it was still nice and shiny and only take it out occasionally to play with it, or did I want to use the crap out of it. Let it get some battle scars if necessary. I always take good care of my things but things happen when you use them a lot. When it came down to it that way I'd much rather have a cue with some nicks and dings in it that I had spent the last 10 years using than a pristine cue in a case or even than the money back in my pocket.

So with that, I put my perfect custom ordered cue back in play as my every day cue, and sold or am in the process of selling everything else but my jump/break cue. Since doing that I've never been happier with a cue, never enjoyed playing with one more, and never have I looked at new cues less. I honestly don't even really think about getting a new cue anymore.

Now, maybe this isn't how you feel about your cue, in which case you could sell it and keep playing your Schmelke. But try to think about if you'd be happy long term with that or if you'd keep looking at other cues knowing that the Schmelke, while certainly a good enough cue, isn't quite the cue of your dreams.

Just my story and my thoughts on the subject.

Edited to add:

This is the thread that convinced me that years from now I'd rather have a well played cue that I used the crap out of then a closet queen. The cue in this thread has played a whole lot of matches but it's all the more beautiful for it, in my oppinion!
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=419477

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I do get the consistency argument for owning only one cue, and I certainly dislike owning things I don't use, I have always bought and sold cues because I like exploring the differences in how they play. I only have about 5 or 6 cues right now, and it feels like too many to me. However, I don't feel guilty for owning my one really nice player.

I do like having certain cues in my tiny collection and I got them all for what I consider to be good prices. There are a couple I'd prefer to never sell for sentimental reasons, and others I have no special attachment to. I'm the kind of person that will play with just about anything, but I have paired down my current setup with a definite purpose in mind. I enjoy cues for their aesthetic beauty and their function.

I consider myself lucky to be in a place where I can buy and sell cues, and even afford to give them away to players who don't have their own cue.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I do get the consistency argument for owning only one cue, and I certainly dislike owning things I don't use, I have always bought and sold cues because I like exploring the differences in how they play. I only have about 5 or 6 cues right now, and it feels like too many to me. However, I don't feel guilty for owning my one really nice player.

I do like having certain cues in my tiny collection and I got them all for what I consider to be good prices. There are a couple I'd prefer to never sell though for sentimental reasons, and others I have not special attachment to. I'm the kind of person that will play with just about anything, but I have paired down my current setup with a definite purpose in mind. I enjoy cues for their aesthetic beauty and their function.

I consider myself lucky to be in a place where I can buy and sell cues, and even afford to give them away to players who don't have their own cue.

You like and appreciate the beauty of cue sticks. You like owning them. Some people buy cameras and lenses. Some people buy clothes. Some people collect straight razors, watches or whatever. For you it's cue sticks. Enjoy them. I know guys that have many of them and always have one or two or three under construction. For them it's a hobby.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And only one is your go to player?:wink:
My Hagan is my main player. I break the others out at random.

I would be lying if I said I played equally well with all of them. I prefer the Hagan most for balance, hit, looks, feel, everything, over my other cues.

However, if my house were on fire and I had to grab one at random without looking and play with only that cue for the rest of my life... I would be ok with any of them.