Oil finish

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m working with walnut. Making a cane. Was going to use a high gloss but thinking of rubbing clear Danish oil. What oil (brand/type) is used on cues that have an oiled finish. Or what can I rub/wipe off... trying to avoid applying & sanding.
Thanks. Frank

Last edited:

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
oil finish

Birchwood casey gun stock oil. Search gun stock oil and you'll find all kinds of info.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bit depends on the exposure the cane might have to the elements and the expectation someone would have to care for the finish ongoing.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an oil based polyurethane vanish. Thin in 10 or 15 percent. Wipe it on and leave it for 10 minutes and then wipe it off. Let it dry overnight and then repeat the process. It may take 4 or 5 coats but you will have a strong and durable finish that will stand up extremely well.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First cane. Will most likely keep it for fun. Leave it in corner of room. Extremely durable finish is not really needed for this one. I am familiar with BirchWood Casey Tru Oil

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use an oil based polyurethane vanish. Thin in 10 or 15 percent. Wipe it on and leave it for 10 minutes and then wipe it off. Let it dry overnight and then repeat the process. It may take 4 or 5 coats but you will have a strong and durable finish that will stand up extremely well.

What do you thin it with? Does it require saning and buffing?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Forgetabout the cane. Check out the new MicroCueSmith ll.. Waiting for chisel tool rest to complete the project.

Attachments

• D0D3DD8F-B625-4425-9C6A-E3693BAF8C7E.jpg
    D0D3DD8F-B625-4425-9C6A-E3693BAF8C7E.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This give more of a oil look finish. It is not a mirror finish. I thin it with mineral spirits. I used to use it on gun stocks when I hunted and now use it on cues when the person does not want a high gloss finish.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s almost finished

Attachments

• 04CAA32D-AB97-43FA-BAAC-25A52E1407F7.jpg
    04CAA32D-AB97-43FA-BAAC-25A52E1407F7.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jatoba wood with natural Danish oil followed up by EEE. Finished up nicely. I’m enjoying the oil finish. If I ever made cue I would not hesitate to use it.

Attachments

• 60825310-38D3-45D7-8DBB-6862905DBBC8.jpg
    60825310-38D3-45D7-8DBB-6862905DBBC8.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 150