Free APA Masters Pool in DC

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of DC-area players on AZBilliards, so this will hopefully be of interest.

Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan and the local APA are offering a free Masters Division in the spring session (that is, right now) -- you have to pay your annual dues if you haven't already, but there are no weekly fees.

Even with this offer, I've only been able to drum up four teams to date, leading me to wonder what's wrong with people? Is free too expensive? Or maybe it's just that people don't know about it, which I'll try to fix now.

Here are the details:
  • Masters format
  • Matches start Wednesday nights at 7:30pm.
  • It's open to all handicaps, but almost all of the players are 5s and above.
  • Next Wednesday (1/26) will be week 3. But if a team starts late, we'll just run concurrent makeup matches on the extra table. So you can get twice the free play.
  • You don't need to have a team to join, just show up and I'll find a team for you.

One possible concern is that it's hard to park in Adams Morgan. But ever since DC raised the meter rates, it's been easier to find parking. Worst case, there's a place to park for $10 at the end of the block by Perry's restaurants.

PM me if you have any questions. It would nice to have a masters division for people who don't live way out in the suburbs!

Cory

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
For many of us that live west of the Beltway, DC is just too far to drive on a week night.

It's a 60 mile round trip for me.

I hope it grows though. The Masters League is a great format.

There are a lot of DC-area players on AZBilliards, so this will hopefully be of interest.

Bedrock Billiards in Adams Morgan and the local APA are offering a free Masters Division in the spring session (that is, right now) -- you have to pay your annual dues if you haven't already, but there are no weekly fees.

Even with this offer, I've only been able to drum up four teams to date, leading me to wonder what's wrong with people? Is free too expensive? Or maybe it's just that people don't know about it, which I'll try to fix now.

Here are the details:
  • Masters format
  • Next Wednesday (1/26) will be week 3. But if a team starts late, we'll just run concurrent makeup matches on the extra table. So you can get twice the free play.
  • You don't need to have a team to join, just show up and I'll find a team for you.

One possible concern is that it's hard to park in Adams Morgan. But ever since DC raised the meter rates, it's been easier to find parking. Worst case, there's a place to park for $10 at the end of the block by Perry's restaurants.

PM me if you have any questions. It would nice to have a masters division for people who don't live way out in the suburbs!

Cory

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For many of us that live west of the Beltway, DC is just too far to drive on a week night.

It's a 60 mile round trip for me.

I hope it grows though. The Masters League is a great format.

Very understandable, but there must be at least 30 inside-the-beltway players, right??

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
If I was closer to DC this would be a possibility. As it is now going into the heart of dc from Solomons Isl. Md. is a bit of a haul.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
It does sound like a great deal and hope people get the word.

I work downtown, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get there on Wednesday nights. My problem with a league commitment is that I travel a lot, sometimes for a month at a time.

I prefer tournaments for that reason, among others. With tournaments I can pick and choose and there's no risk letting the team down due to my travel schedule.

Good luck!

--Steve

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The better players had better stop complaining about not having any competent players to practice with. :wink:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here are the details:
  • Masters format

Cory
What are the payouts?

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm inside the beltway, but Bedrock is just too hard to get to. Hope you can get the league going. Mac/mycustomcues mentioned he's getting back into playing, maybe he would be interested.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The better players had better stop complaining about not having any competent players to practice with. :wink:

And the not-better players should step up for a cheap and easy way to get some matches against better players! Really, I thought 5-speed players would be all over it, at least when it's free.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does sound like a great deal and hope people get the word.

I work downtown, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to get there on Wednesday nights. My problem with a league commitment is that I travel a lot, sometimes for a month at a time.

I prefer tournaments for that reason, among others. With tournaments I can pick and choose and there's no risk letting the team down due to my travel schedule.

Good luck!

--Steve

There's likely to be a team that needs an alternate, so that might be an option.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the not-better players should step up for a cheap and easy way to get some matches against better players! Really, I thought 5-speed players would be all over it, at least when it's free.

Bedrock is a nice place. Should be a fun group of people. How do you spell "no brainer"?

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bedrock is a nice place. Should be a fun group of people. How do you spell "no brainer"?

You would think it's a no-brainer, but we'll see. We've got at least 4 teams, that's a start.

Also, I didn't answer the person who asked about payouts. I'm going to assume that was a real question and not an attempted dig at the APA. In any case, the payout is that -- in addition to having fun and playing reasonably competitive matches -- the winning team advances to the regional tournament where I think around 1/4 of the field gets paid and the winning team or two gets a free trip to Las Vegas for the national masters tournament. Winner of that gets $7500, with 1/4 of the field getting paid.

When we are actually paying dues, I think there will be a small payout at the end for the winning team. With only 4 teams, probably not very much, though.

If more precise answers would help, I can make inquiries.

Cory

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would think it's a no-brainer, but we'll see. We've got at least 4 teams, that's a start.

Also, I didn't answer the person who asked about payouts. I'm going to assume that was a real question and not an attempted dig at the APA. In any case, the payout is that -- in addition to having fun and playing reasonably competitive matches -- the winning team advances to the regional tournament where I think around 1/4 of the field gets paid and the winning team or two gets a free trip to Las Vegas for the national masters tournament. Winner of that gets $7500, with 1/4 of the field getting paid.

When we are actually paying dues, I think there will be a small payout at the end for the winning team. With only 4 teams, probably not very much, though.

If more precise answers would help, I can make inquiries.

Cory

I was serious, we have a 12 team masters league in balto.