Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain to me in more detail the progressive scoring of the first few drills, I saw the instructional video but the score in my head was always higher than what Dr Dave would say. Do you count one point for every successful attempt and another bonus point for every successful time u stay at 7 after you pocket your first 7?

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Kudos for the excellent work, Dr. Dave, it must have taken your years of effort to built and test the system.

After a quick glance of the exams, I was wondering why combinations/caroms didn't make their ways into the drills tested. They are quite effective in games, more useful than jumping shots IMHO.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I think so, if you started at 4, it takes 3 shots to be on 7, if you are successful in
all remaining shots. You will earn 7 bonus points, so your total score will be 17,
however the maxmium score will still be 10. Was I wrong on my math?

Can someone explain to me in more detail the progressive scoring of the first few drills, I saw the instructional video but the score in my head was always higher than what Dr Dave would say. Do you count one point for every successful attempt and another bonus point for every successful time u stay at 7 after you pocket your first 7?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fundamentals- score 81

http://youtu.be/slVzB8b3UjI is part 1
http://youtu.be/rSGZp439EqQ is part 2

Masters- score 60

Masters test part 1 http://youtu.be/MF9TFjMCkOE
Masters test part 2 http://youtu.be/gpfv-rmmPII
Masters test part 3 http://youtu.be/dlyH0FSK_-8

Total score- 141
Good job Neil! That's strong.

Congratulations ... you just earned the second of the three free diplomas. The last two videos aren't done processing yet, but I'll trust you.

PM or e-mail me your mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've already added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

I assume that is a Valley/Dynamo table, right?

This was a good test. Worked a lot of different areas. I recommend everyone try it and work with it, it can only improve your game.
Thanks for the feedback. I think the exams are very useful as a structured and comprehensive practice routine or pool workout.

I tested about where I thought I would end up. Felt like I could definitely have done better on a few areas, but that's what happens when you hardly ever play anymore.
Hopefully, you can practice more and get on a big table so you can earn your Doctorate of Pool (DP) some day.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Neil, did you shoot those in IMAX format or something? I've never seen YouTube videos take so long to process. :eek:
I've never seen YouTube videos take this long to process either. Does anybody know why this is happening? Is it because these posters are new Youtube users, requiring the videos to be checked more thoroughly?

Thanks,
Dave

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job Neil! That's strong.

Congratulations ... you just earned the second of the three free diplomas. The last two videos aren't done processing yet, but I'll trust you.

PM or e-mail me your mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've already added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

I assume that is a Valley/Dynamo table, right?

Thanks for the feedback. I think the exams are very useful as a structured and comprehensive practice routine or pool workout.

Hopefully, you can practice more and get on a big table so you can earn your Doctorate of Pool (DP) some day.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

Thanks Dave! Yes, it is a modified Valley. Last two videos have about 30 and 5 min. left and then they will be viewable.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my exam 1, score 76. It's an 8' Olhausen with 5" pockets and 1.5" shelf on the corners.

http://youtu.be/DlV7jwr1kj4

That damn wagon wheel was hard. I think I missed about 8 in a row at one point.

And seeing myself on video I see how bad my stroke is. :eek: It's kinda like when you hear a recording of yourself and you think "do I sound like THAT?"

This is my test 2, score 56. http://youtu.be/bUuq-0Y-R6k

I only got 3/10 on the safeties.

Total score: 132.
I'm glad you decided to post videos after all.

Congratulations ... you just earned the last of the three free diplomas.

PM or e-mail me your real name and mailing address, and I'll send you your "Masters with Honors" diploma. FYI, I've added you to the official BU graduates list and to the first post of this thread.

Good job,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just checked, and the master #1 says 20 more minutes, the rest are still hours away. Should be view-able in the morning.
So "still processing" means "still uploading." You just have a slow connection and/or really big video files. Now I understand.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the explanation from the Exam I document:

Instructions (for drills: F1-F4):
• Start with the cue ball (CB) in position 4. Each time you pocket the object ball (OB), advance the CB one position (e.g., from 4 to 5); and with each miss, move down by one number (e.g., from 4 to 3). If you succeed at position 7 or miss at position 1, stay at that position. The phrase “progressive practice” is used to describe this type of drill because the difficulty level changes progressively in response to your performance.
• Continue for 10 shots total.
• Adjust the CB position after the 10th shot based on the outcome, but not below 1 or above 7. For example if you make the 10th shot at 6, the final position is 7; and if you miss the 10th shot at 6, the final position is 5.
• Your score for the drill is the final position number plus a bonus for excellence. The bonus is equal to the numbers of successes at position 7. The maximum total score allowed is 10.

If you use the Exam I scoresheet while taking the exam, things should also be more clear.

It might also help to watch the Exam I Overview video again after reading this.

I hope that helps,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kudos for the excellent work, Dr. Dave, it must have taken your years of effort to built and test the system.
Thanks. It was a lot of work, but I am proud of and happy with the result.

After a quick glance of the exams, I was wondering why combinations/caroms didn't make their ways into the drills tested. They are quite effective in games, more useful than jumping shots IMHO.
Combos and caroms were on my original list, which was far too long. I had to draw the line somewhere to keep the exams to a manageable length.

Concerning the jump shots, I think it is an extremely important skill in modern and high level pool. But I also agree with you that combos and caroms are just as important.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you count one point for every successful attempt and another bonus point for every successful time u stay at 7 after you pocket your first 7?
if you started at 4, it takes 3 shots to be on 7, if you are successful in
all remaining shots. You will earn 7 bonus points, so your total score will be 17,
however the maxmium score will still be 10. Was I wrong on my math?
Good answer and good math. Again, the Exam I scoresheet helps with this.

Thank you for helping to clarify things,
Dave

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I am sorry, I thought Carom Shot means a shot in which the cue ball hits an object ball which then hits another object ball before
going into a pocket. And what wagon wheel drill tests was the Billiard Shot: "A billiard shot is a shot in which the cue ball strikes
one object ball and then strikes another object ball to pocket it. "

I am not sure about the correctness of the term distiction. I copied it from Easy Pool Tutor website. I could just vaguely remember
somebody thought me the definitions in my youth. Now they can all be generlally defined as combo shot, I guess.

What I suggest is to design some "forced carom" or "force combo" into 2 of the 9 ball layouts. For example, don't give them ball
in hand at start, but fix a CB position which force the player to shot a carom/combo to start the layout, etc. A percentage of 1 or
2 out of all 20 shots required for the layouts seems reflect the in-game odds.

just my $0.02

{Well, after some google searches, I've realized the terms of carom isn't quite universally defined. Please forgive my tendency for nitpicking }

BTW, the wagon wheel drill in Exam I certainly tests carom ability.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am sorry, I thought Carom Shot means a shot in which the cue ball hits an object ball which then hits another object ball before
going into a pocket. And what wagon wheel drill tests was the Billiard Shot: "A billiard shot is a shot in which the cue ball strikes
one object ball and then strikes another object ball to pocket it. "

I am not sure about the correctness of the term distiction. I copied it from Easy Pool Tutor website. I could just vaguely remember
somebody thought me the definitions in my youth. Now they can all be generlally defined as combo shot, I guess.
Here are definitions from my online glossary:

carom shot: a shot where the cue ball is deflected off one object ball and into another to pocket the second ball.

combination shot: a shot where the cue ball hits an object ball into another to pocket the second ball.

kiss shot: a shot where an object ball is deflected off another and then into a pocket.

A "carom shot" is sometimes referred to as a "billiard." Also, the phrase "carom shot" is sometimes also used to refer to a "kiss shot." But I think the definitions above are the most standard and most correct.

Regardless, the principles involved with both types of shots are the same. For info and demonstrations, see: carom and kiss shot aiming resource page.

What I suggest is to design some "forced carom" or "force combo" into 2 of the 9 ball layouts. For example, don't give them ball
in hand at start, but fix a CB position which force the player to shot a carom/combo to start the layout, etc. A percentage of 1 or
2 out of all 20 shots required for the layouts seems reflect the in-game odds.
That's a good idea. I'll add it to my list for possible revisions in the future (subject to approval by the BU founding professors).

Thanks again for your input,
Dave

Last edited:

baller4lifeii

Registered
Dr. dave is at it again!

Your online resources have always been tremendously helpful for new and experienced players alike. I'll certainly try out the new BU drills and exams.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. dave is at it again!

Your online resources have always been tremendously helpful for new and experienced players alike.
Thanks. I appreciate the positive feedback.

I'll certainly try out the new BU drills and exams.
Sounds good. Please post your score after you've practiced some and let us know whether or not you think your BU rating seems to match your level of ability.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
List of AZB'ers who have taken the BU playing-ability exams so far (in ranked order):

BU score, Username, BU Rating, Video links (if available):

141, Neil, adv-3, Exam (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
135, dr_dave, adv-2, Exam I, Exam II
132, Gerry Williams, adv-2, Table Setup, Exam I, Exam II (part 1, part 2)
132, BRussell, adv-2, Exam I, Exam II

Here are the details and scores for all official BU graduates.
Any body else out there working on the exams and plan to post a score (and maybe videos)?

I'm going to try to start practicing on a 9' table so I can eventually give that Doctorate a go. I just need to find a 9' table with big and loose pockets. :wink:

Regards,
Dave