What the ----- its pool related ,

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I Bought this 2nd hand metal lathe.
I got a killer deal, 75 bucks for this lathe, its just a little 7x10 central lathe. joke of a price, killer deal if someone wanted to set it up for tips and ferrule and maybe joints with a steady rest put on the back side .

I have lathes , but had a issue with my friends dog biting the power cord going to the AC/DC controller to one of my lathes.
The dog got wrapped up in the power cord and took off running tearing the wires out and dragging the controller box behind him just as happy and go lucky a dog could be .
Yes there was allot of things we could of done to prevent this but it didn't happen and he is a good friend ......................................................
But It shut that lathe down, I have been in the hospital on and off every 2 weeks for the last 10 weeks surgery ( clogged artery in my neck and dizzy ) and then I rejected the synthetic skin graft and got infections and then I get a letter saying I am scheduled for chemotherapy when I don't have cancer .
I
Hey its just been a little crazy.

Back to this little lathe
It ran fine at the store :grin:
I figured it would be a nice edition and I could make smaller parts with it.
or even set it up as a little tip and ferrule lathe
Price was killer Big time score .
Took it home set it up plugged it in , turned it on .
It ran about a minute or two and the motor went poof, little cloud of burnt motor smoke and that is it ...:thumbup:

I will shop around for a new motor and might retro fit in a better motor ..

This is one of those times when you take a cold beer and a joint outside and kick back in the lawn chair and say tomorrow has to be better .

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Motor

Check the wires first. Same thing happened to me. The wires had burned off. Motor was fine.

I have the motor off or out , nothing in the control panel looks burnt and the motor smells .. .
I will look at the wiring again , I didn't see any issues with it so far.
I pulled the brushes and they look new .
I have a friend who know allot about electric motors and own a business that sales AC and DC motors.
I am buying him breakfast in the morning :grin:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Motor

Try this site, they have all the parts you'll ever need.

LittleMachineShop.com

Motor had metal filling in it ,
Motor looked new inside
Armature is rubbing against one side of the fields .

two of the wave or spring washers were ant one end of the armature.
I have to wonder if someone else hasn't torn this motor apart and got the wave washer on one end of if it was a factory screw up.
Motor is still barley rubbing on one side .

Hooked DC motor to car battery an the motor does rotate but it sounds like a piston engine turning over .

Thinking of chucking up motor in another lathe and rotating it for a few hrs .
then cleaning the metal out of it and hooking it up .

Everything on the lathe looks new .. but the lathe was dirty with metal filling .

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Lathe

Sounds like a fun little lathe, those little machines can be setup for all kinds of operations' best of luck with it.
Oh, we wanta see'

Enjoy'

Rob.M

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Up and running

I got all the metal shavings out of the motor and put it back together.
Lathe seems to run ok .
Little noisy.
But what the heck a metal for 75.00 :woot:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Damn....son. That is a bad streak of everything. I KNOW it has to get BETTER from here. Wishing you better times.

JoeyA

I Bought this 2nd hand metal lathe.
I got a killer deal, 75 bucks for this lathe, its just a little 7x10 central lathe. joke of a price, killer deal if someone wanted to set it up for tips and ferrule and maybe joints with a steady rest put on the back side .

I have lathes , but had a issue with my friends dog biting the power cord going to the AC/DC controller to one of my lathes.
The dog got wrapped up in the power cord and took off running tearing the wires out and dragging the controller box behind him just as happy and go lucky a dog could be .
Yes there was allot of things we could of done to prevent this but it didn't happen and he is a good friend ......................................................
But It shut that lathe down, I have been in the hospital on and off every 2 weeks for the last 10 weeks surgery ( clogged artery in my neck and dizzy ) and then I rejected the synthetic skin graft and got infections and then I get a letter saying I am scheduled for chemotherapy when I don't have cancer .
I
Hey its just been a little crazy.

Back to this little lathe
It ran fine at the store :grin:
I figured it would be a nice edition and I could make smaller parts with it.
or even set it up as a little tip and ferrule lathe
Price was killer Big time score .
Took it home set it up plugged it in , turned it on .
It ran about a minute or two and the motor went poof, little cloud of burnt motor smoke and that is it ...:thumbup:

I will shop around for a new motor and might retro fit in a better motor ..

This is one of those times when you take a cold beer and a joint outside and kick back in the lawn chair and say tomorrow has to be better .