Preserving Satin Finish

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the best way to keep this satin finish, but remove the stickiness and dullness it feels/shows? Again, I want to preserve the satiny look, not make it glossy. This is a rare TAD and I want to avoid messing it up.

Tung Oil?

TIA

Attachments

• 61CA56F0-0C9C-4DDE-85D0-215F7C899148.jpg
    61CA56F0-0C9C-4DDE-85D0-215F7C899148.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 507

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not a cue maker.... please do not use tung oil.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it has an old lacquer finish, that could be difficult, if the lacquer has been exposed to plasticizers (cheap vinyl case, or wrapped in plastic for a period for some reason, e.g.) or simply degraded.

Naptha won't cut any cured finish that i know of, but is excellent on grease & oils.

Ethyl alcohol ("denatured" alcohol) is a little more aggressive to finish & less to grease and oils, but won't cut lacquer or any modern finishes. It will immediately damage an old french polish (shellac).

If the lacquer has started to soften, it will take a lot of slow cleaning to *maybe????* bring it back. Getting the gunk off (technical term) will remove some of the plasticizing effects, but won't cure it, pun intended, immediately. Maybe or maybe not long term.

Any solvent - try/test in small area and wait, first.
Good luck.

smt

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would a mild furniture polish work? Regardless spot test any product used.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
SW uses gun stock oil for their satin.
I don't know about TAD.
But, gun stock oil spray can lays thin and I shouldn't hurt.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the finish degraded? or is it that you simply want to clean off the residue built up on the existing finish and then just maintain the existing finish look. I would just use a high gread furniture polish- not the spray type like Pledge, but a creme based like Parker & Bailey - that will remove residue and keep the same look of the existing finish and also preserve it. Just go to a Local hardware store and ask for a high grade furniture polish, or consult a high end furniture store in your area. shopping the internet under high grade furniture creme polish may help also. Some of the citrus based furniture polish products in NON Aerosol sprays could work as well.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the finish degraded? or is it that you simply want to clean off the residue built up on the existing finish and then just maintain the existing finish look. I would just use a high gread furniture polish- not the spray type like Pledge, but a creme based like Parker & Bailey - that will remove residue and keep the same look of the existing finish and also preserve it. Just go to a Local hardware store and ask for a high grade furniture polish, or consult a high end furniture store in your area. shopping the internet under high grade furniture creme polish may help also. Some of the citrus based furniture polish products in NON Aerosol sprays could work as well.
I feels a bit tacky. I know a satin finish looks flat but this looks like the bare wood.