APA 8 ball league fees

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What state are you in? How much are you nightly league fees per player? I think we are all paying different amounts. I was wondering what the discrepancy actually is.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The discrepancy is different pool hall greens fees.

Not true.

I pay $35 a night for my league and my sister who plays a few miles away but just happens to be in another LO's territory pays $40 a night. The tables are coin op so it is not "green fees" as my league is on open tables and we play for free but any visiting team pays a flat $10 green fee so they would actually pay $45.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fees? The bar pays those.

$40 or $8/player

It is my understanding that bars are not suppose to be paying any fees related to the APA whether it is annual dues or nightly fees.

I played at on place that did that, but I know it was frowned upon by the main office.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each League Operator of each area can charge whatever they want, and allocate different amounts of those fees to the different areas however they want (trophies, patches, travel funds, tournaments/events, etc, etc).

This is not a "discrepancy", each area is a franchise owned by a different LO, and like any other franchised business they can run it however they want as long as they follow the general guidelines of the organization HQ (in this case, the St. Louis HQ of the APA).

Don't get caught up in fees, if you choose to play then you've chosen to pay whatever fee they're charging. Same thing as when you buy a gym membership, or anything else...you've agreed to pay the fees the business owner charges you, that's your choice. You don't go to the owner of the gym and ask him to change his pricing model and run his business differently because you don't like it, do you?

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each League Operator of each area can charge whatever they want, and allocate different amounts of those fees to the different areas however they want (trophies, patches, travel funds, tournaments/events, etc, etc).

This is not a "discrepancy", each area is a franchise owned by a different LO, and like any other franchised business they can run it however they want as long as they follow the general guidelines of the organization HQ (in this case, the St. Louis HQ of the APA).

Don't get caught up in fees, if you choose to play then you've chosen to pay whatever fee they're charging. Same thing as when you buy a gym membership, or anything else...you've agreed to pay the fees the business owner charges you, that's your choice. You don't go to the owner of the gym and ask him to change his pricing model and run his business differently because you don't like it, do you?

You sound like a league operator defending yourself. People have choices what gym they want to join. If you live in a certain area there are no choices what APA league operator to play under. Most franchised businesses McDonalds/Duncan Donuts or any other are usually within 10% of each others charges/fees. It seems in the APA it can be up to 100% different from one league operator to the next. I'm not getting caught up in it. I was just curious to see what teams/players pay in different areas of the country. Apparently in some area of the country they pay $25 per team. In my cousin's area of New York they pay $55 for league fees per team. It has nothing to do with green fees because that's an additional payment.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sound like a league operator defending yourself. People have choices what gym they want to join. If you live in a certain area there are no choices what APA league operator to play under. Most franchised businesses McDonalds/Duncan Donuts or any other are usually within 10% of each others charges/fees. It seems in the APA it can be up to 100% different from one league operator to the next. I'm not getting caught up in it. I was just curious to see what teams/players pay in different areas of the country. Apparently in some area of the country they pay $25 per team. In my cousin's area of New York they pay $55 for league fees per team. It has nothing to do with green fees because that's an additional payment.

I'm a former league operator but I don't have any affiliation with the APA at all right now. I'm just telling you how it works, I don't care either way.

The bottom line is that there are tons of factors that go into that fee that make it vary from area to area, and it's a private, for-profit business so they don't have to tell you what all the factors are and frankly it's none of your business. You either choose to play in the league or you don't, it's an optional recreational activity. I don't speak for the APA, that's just my 2 cents.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap! Well said bad_hit! :thumbup: Play...or don't play. It's your choice! 25 years ago I charged my players $25 a week, or $30 a week for the payback leagues. I know that in Dallas Randyg pays $15 per player ($75/team) , a week for his league play (not APA). Nobody complains. Everybody plays.

Scott Lee ~ also a former APA league operator
http://poolknowledge.com

I'm a former league operator but I don't have any affiliation with the APA at all right now. I'm just telling you how it works, I don't care either way.

The bottom line is that there are tons of factors that go into that fee that make it vary from area to area, and it's a private, for-profit business so they don't have to tell you what all the factors are and frankly it's none of your business. You either choose to play in the league or you don't, it's an optional recreational activity. I don't speak for the APA, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6.00 a match ic you play double jeapordy..7:00 if you play in either a regular 8 or 9 ball division

To son it may seem kinda high but just for comparison I paid 8.00 a match 10 years ago in bcapl

Oh yeah...all the above is in Memphis TN.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Consider yourselves lucky, the cost varies from 1600-1800 yen ($15-$17) per person over here in Japanese branch of the APA.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Bergen county NJ APA was $35 for 8-ball, $40 for 9-ball, and $35 to the house for green fees, for a total of $110. I used to collect $11 for each match played, so if my teammate play both then it was $22.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Here in Bangor, Maine, the five people who play in our APA league night pay $9 each. Tables are all open, all night, so practice time is available as well, play as much as you want (taking turns of course).

Our LO does a cash payout at the end of each session, for each division, 1st thru 4th place, so that's where some of the extra money goes.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
In NY Westchester County, I pay $11 for 8 ball and $13 for 9 ball on top of splitting coin op costs with my opponent..

Certainly not cheap, and the equipment is horrendous and unmaintained, but it's the only game in town if I want to compete against people. Sadly, there is a fantastic old school pool hall very close by who is not interested in running any leagues or tournaments.

b

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Central Ontario, Canada = $15 night ($10 CPA & $5 Green Fee's) and if playing double jeopardy then its another $10 for league fee's and they wave the green fee's.