Who The Hell Is Bucky Bell!!

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a hole in the wall bar in Cincinnati tonight and Bucky name came up. I haven't seen him in the area in probably 10 years but his legend lives on! Its hard to not like Bucky.

Ian

pooljockey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm originally from Cincinnati and started playing pool at a hole in the wall bar called Petes cafe where I met bucky for the 1st time in my hometown on a Tuesday night 9ball tournament and I can tell you bucky is bye far one of the most colorful characters to this day I've met around the pool scene I once beat him in a local tournament at are local pool hall bocca billiards in milford Ohio and before the 9 ball hit the bottom of the pocket he leaped to his feet from his bar stool and told the entire pool hall they had the Last 4 if they would bet a wooden nickel then a week later im gambling a race to 5 on a barbox with him getting a spot ive got him 4 to1 in the race and he finds a spot on the break and snaps 4 9 balls in a row with me racking to beat me 5 to 4 love that guy i spent many of nights listening to his road stories in just awe of what his life must of.been like I 100% agree if there was ever a movie made it should be with bucky as a main character

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I was in a hole in the wall bar in Cincinnati tonight and Bucky name came up. I haven't seen him in the area in probably 10 years but his legend lives on! Its hard to not like Bucky.

Ian

where was it Ian???

Glamb

Registered
Bucky

Played Bucky Last night in Kalamazoo Mi. Had the old man 2-0 in a race to 3 Eight Ball.... Son of gun beat me 3-2 !! Loved listening to him!! These are the men that we need to interview with Video to be able to share their stories long after they are gone.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Bucky had moved to MI a few years ago.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Played Bucky Last night in Kalamazoo Mi. Had the old man 2-0 in a race to 3 Eight Ball.... Son of gun beat me 3-2 !! Loved listening to him!! These are the men that we need to interview with Video to be able to share their stories long after they are gone.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
I went to VNEA Vegas in 2005 and Bucky was there. Someone had told me he needed money to eat and get a way back as he was sharing a room with someone and that was already taken care of. Bucky placed himself at the entrance to the biggest room. When start times came up for matches the sea of people coming in to play was like the tide rushing in. Bucky could be audibly heard saying, "Anyone Gamble?" As we played on a couple days later we saw Bucky again trying the same ploy as before. My buddy and I asked him if it had paid off on this corner. He didn't say a word but flashed a wad of cash and a big grin!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bucky used to stand around and talk to me some while I worked on pool cues at the pro tournaments during the late 80s and early 90's. He was really nice and a great player. Middle of the field pro speed. Have not seen him much since. At one tournament at Wagon Wheel Willies local legend Railroad John was baiting everyone to make a ball with another ball froze against the cue ball on the rails on the other side of the side pocket. Several pros missed it trying to figure out how to make it. He challenged Bucky and Bucky told him that he knew the shot. John said well lets let something on it and Bucky would not bet he could make it or that John could not. Once Bucky walked off John nailed the shot in a different way than anyone had tried winked and gave me a sly smile. I still use that shot when showing off for my grand kids and such.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back to the wife and house situation, Bubky repaired eveything the house needed and the she kicked him out!! LOL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Bucky back in 1993 in Virginia. I beat a guy from Ohio for some money and a week later he brings with him a little old fellow. The little guy walks up to me and says he is a retired pipe fitter from Akron and asked me to play. He is carrying a old Mcdermott cue with no case and a big sticker of a cobra on it, I did not now what to make of him. Bucky broke real good and put some racks on me, He then made games playing people one handed one pocket. He was a pistol!

Penny, you sly devil...you got 10-8, for life.

BarBoxROB

Bucky

Bucky is a hoot to watch. And man he is funny too. I watched him play a local that plays the 7 under Rafael Martinez at one of the tournaments at Steepleton's in Lexington, Ky in about '96. This guy had no idea who Bucky was and really talked some trash to BB playing 9 ball on a barbox in the back. Needless to say after a few games the trash talking stopped on the locals part and Bucky fired back with some of his own. It was great as the local was the biggest ass you could ever meet. Bucky played very sporty that evening. I saw him at derby city in '04 and his game had fallen off quite a bit. I think his health was ailing him at the time but I really like to watch him play when he is on. He is very creative.
On another note in the same tournament this is when I first saw Corey Duell play. He had a powerful stroke even has a young kid about in his teens. He played very well although he didn't when the tournament.
I remember when Bucky won the bar table tournament and the big table the same weekend and left broke trying to spot a guy 2 balls playing one pocket. I also remember when Cory came to Steepleton's with a pink soft case and won the tournament that weekend too.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My boring Bucky Bell story.........

Bucky came into our local room about 10 years ago and was looking for some bar table action. I would only play him some 9-ball on the big table. He played well but missed a few more shots than he planned on and I get 3 sets winner. He woofs at me to play the next day for more and I say fine, see ya tomorrow. He never shows. I run into him about 5-6 years later at a tournament in North Vernon, In. He doesn't remember me at all. He asks me to play some $20 a game before the tourney starts and I agree. He grabs a house cue and proceeds to mis-cue about every 3rd shot. I get 8 games or so winner and he gets his cue out. By then I'm playing pretty loose and stay ahead the whole time. Calcutta starts and I go for $20 and he goes for around $120. Long story short, I knock him out and finish 2nd. By then, he didn't want to play any more. Other than some normal trash talk, he was a pleasure to play.
I’d like to try some