Rafael Martinez Rumor

I would like to know who started that ugly rumor about him being killed in mexico?...Was this a fake death rumor started by Martinez himself for personal reasons a'la Jack Hines? ? ?

Strange thing is that the ENTIRE POOL WORLD believed this non-sense(including me)..

I recall several posts on this forum..as well as 1pkt.Org;where posters would vouch for their RELIABLE SOURCES about his supposed passing.

The only reason why I am even mentioning this is cause I saw him at a tournament in Houston last year and I thought I was staring at a ghost!
and believe me he played Damn good for a dead guy!..
Imagine my surprise..I thought he was in that great pool room in the sky..

Well anyway,does anyone know the FACTS behind the rumor?(no here-say please)JUST THE FACTS MA'AM.::D

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Sactown Tom can correct me if I'm wrong.
But he said iirc Rafael left for TJ and looked really bad the last time someone saw him. He did. He weighed like less than 100 lbs , supposedly.
But, when I asked Sergio at HT Bellflower ( who goes to TJ regularly ) he said then Rafael was with his ( Sergio's ) father near Juarez.
Nobody knew really. Not Morro or King Kong. They had no idea where Kaizer Soze Martinez was. He disappeared once too in the mid 90's after a tournament in Puerto Rico. He lived in Germany supposedly.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know he was in Germany around 94 or 95. He played in a big tourny in Freiburg winning it against Bustamante in the final 13 to 2. He missed 2 balls that entire match and every rack he ran out, Bustamante kept sliding lower and lower in the chair.lol Souquet was third!

no-sho

U

Ummagumma

He's up in my area now, and has been winning all of the weekly tourneys. Nice guy. And great player (that goes without saying).

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
But he said iirc Rafael left for TJ and looked really bad the last time someone saw him. He did. He weighed like less than 100 lbs , supposedly.
But, when I asked Sergio at HT Bellflower ( who goes to TJ regularly ) he said then Rafael was with his ( Sergio's ) father near Juarez.
Nobody knew really. Not Morro or King Kong. They had no idea where Kaizer Soze Martinez was. He disappeared once too in the mid 90's after a tournament in Puerto Rico. He lived in Germany supposedly.

Martinez "dissapeared" after the 1996 Camel PBT - Grand Prix of Puerto Rico; won by Rodney Morris. Rodney won his next tournament which happened to be the "1996 U.S. Open."

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Rafael Martinez few weeks ago in lasvegas at BCA.Some bizarre thing happened.spanish is not my language.I wanted to say hello to him in spanish language and used a particular word to address him.He appeared angry and came charging towards me and said what were you saying?we new each other well and we always respected each other and I did not understand his demeanor on that day.Later I told a friend of mine ( of spanish heritage) what happened.She then told me what I said to rafael was wrong and very insulting to a man.I am still embarrased even today.Next time I run into him I am going to appolozize to him.I better stay with English language rather than trying to be hip speaking in spanish.

Last edited:

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
spit it out, vagabond. What did you say? You can't tell a story like that and leave out the best part lol

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptiveBred said:
spit it out, vagabond. What did you say? You can't tell a story like that and leave out the best part lol

I said helo `SANYORA` instead of `Senor`.I later learned that `SANYORA` means married women.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
oh lol, the female version of señor ...that's sorta funny. Instead of "hello" you're waving your hand going "ma'am! ma'am!"

Hopefully you'll get a chance to explain it, I think he'd have to laugh once it's clear.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
oh lol, the female version of señor ...that's sorta funny. Instead of "hello" you're waving your hand going "ma'am! ma'am!"

Hopefully you'll get a chance to explain it, I think he'd have to laugh once it's clear.

I am going to appolozize to him if I see him again.

Yokel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
I met Rafael Martinez few weeks ago in lasvegas at BCA.Some bizarre thing happened.spanish is not my language.I wanted to say hello to him in spanish language and used a particular word to address him.He appeared angry and came charging towards me and said what were you saying?we new each other well and we always respected each other and I did not understand his demeanor on that day.Later I told a friend of mine ( of spanish heritage) what happened.She then told me what I said to rafael was wrong and very insulting to a man.I am still embarrased even today.Next time I run into him I am going to appolozize to him.I better stay with English language rather than trying to be hip speaking in spanish.

LOL, 2 days ago I wan in High Pockets, and I have a habit of cussing my balls out in Spanish so that no young people around me can hear the vulgar words...

I didn't even realize but at the table caddy-corner to me there was a group of latin-american individuals who after about my 4th missed shot I started going off on my 8-ball and one of the individuals was standing behind me as I shot and I guess he thought I was swearing at him. He asked me what I said and I looked him dead in the eye, stone-cold and I translated, "Go F*ck Yourself."

He thought I was being a hard-ass and telling him to "F*ck himself" when I told him what I was saying and we started having a testosterone competition until we finally realized what happened.

Man we laughed for about 30 minutes after we both realized it too...

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yokel said:
LOL, 2 days ago I wan in High Pockets, and I have a habit of cussing my balls out in Spanish so that no young people around me can hear the vulgar words...

I didn't even realize but at the table caddy-corner to me there was a group of latin-american individuals who after about my 4th missed shot I started going off on my 8-ball and one of the individuals was standing behind me as I shot and I guess he thought I was swearing at him. He asked me what I said and I looked him dead in the eye, stone-cold and I translated, "Go F*ck Yourself."

He thought I was being a hard-ass and telling him to "F*ck himself" when I told him what I was saying and we started having a testosterone competition until we finally realized what happened.

Man we laughed for about 30 minutes after we both realized it too...

Is it some thing like ``chingao`?

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
That's about it Joey...

But, he's alive and well, I saw him at the IPT event in Reno last year and he's played a few times at Hard Times in Sacramento. He'll be here again in a couple of weeks for our yearly Jamboree.

T

JoeyInCali said:

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Yes, I played him yesterday and he is looking fit as a fiddle. Even though he is small, I'll bet he can hold his own with men twice his size, on AND off the table!

Yokel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
Is it some thing like ``chingao`?

"chinga" is the action "f*ck", like "chinga su madre".

"pinche" is the adjective "f*ck"... as in "pinche ocho", f*cking 8...

After living in Memphis, Southern Cali, and Texas... my espanol has steadily grown in many great ways :rolleyes:

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Yes, I played him yesterday and he is looking fit as a fiddle. Even though he is small, I'll bet he can hold his own with men twice his size, on AND off the table!

in the mid 90s ,I remember him as having clashes with CJ Wiley

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I'm ashamed to admit I actually told some of the local latino players around here he might be dead after someone from LA posted that they had talked to one his friends (Morro maybe) and he had confirmed it.
People started talking about him maybe having problems for losing a one pocket match to Billy Palmer in SF, having a bunch of health problems,etc..

Turned out to be a bunch of bullsh*t, thank God.

I hung out with him for just a little while when he played in a local tourney. Very cool guy; a little quiet, but a phenomenal player and treats people good so I'm glad as hell he's back and playing.

I still don't know WTF the whole rumour deal was about.