Banking without diamonds

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Here's a couple of basic banks using a contact point instead of the traditional diamonds. They can be made using no english and pocket speed. All banking adjustments, without saying, apply here.

The shot on the left is made by using the line from the pocket through the one ball with the contact point being at the back of the object ball. Aim the cue ball where the line exits the one ball.

The shot on the right is made by again, taking a line from the pocket through the seven ball, but using the front of the object ball as a contact point. Crossover banks use the front contact point. Cut back banks use the back contact point.

There are adjustments for straight in banks, thin crossover banks and thin cut back banks. Use pocket speed as these banks are affected like all banks by throw and speed. With a soft stroke they will be accurate to even where you aim at on the pocket.

You can use this method to bank a ball for a safety, too. Just figure out where you want to bank the ball to and find the contact point/line to get it there.

If these make sense, small adjustments will pocket almost any bank. Right now I'm working on two railers. More to come.

Best,
Mike

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Thats pretty cool, thanks.
The opportunity to bank comes up so often, that I like to keep on my toes and practice them when I can.

Always nice to know different ways to do it.
Maybe you can explain your terminology to me. I don't quite understand what you mean by a Cut back and a Cross over bank.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats pretty cool, thanks.
The opportunity to bank comes up so often, that I like to keep on my toes and practice them when I can.

Always nice to know different ways to do it.
Maybe you can explain your terminology to me. I don't quite understand what you mean by a Cut back and a Cross over bank.

Sorry about that! If a bank is not a straight in shot using one rail, you either cut back to the direction of the pocket or cross over with the cue ball. The one ball is a cut back to the pocket and the seven ball is a crossover bank.

Straight in banks can be made with this method, but a different contact point is needed from what is shown.

Best,
Mike

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry about that! If a bank is not a straight in shot using one rail, you either cut back to the direction of the pocket or cross over with the cue ball. The one ball is a cut back to the pocket and the seven ball is a crossover bank.

Straight in banks can be made with this method, but a different contact point is needed from what is shown.

Best,
Mike

Can these shots shown be made as straight banks, or do they have to be the cutback and crossover?

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can these shots shown be made as straight banks, or do they have to be the cutback and crossover?

You can use the same aiming method to make straight in banks or close to straight in. Using the same line from the pocket through the object ball, you have the front and back contact points. Aim between the two contact points with the cue ball. With a little practice I was able to find this point by dividing the ball in half between the front and rear contact points.

Probably the hardest part is visualizing the rear contact point on the back of the object ball. You obviously can't see it, so you must estimate its location.

Best,
Mike

Last edited:

theUBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
banking without diamonds

Hi,

the 9th of June 2011 we will launch a new instructional online book and 40 min. online video.

It is the SEE-SYSTEM.

It was develloped by Darren Appleton and me.
Beside a complete aiming and aligning system for direct shots it covers how to make bank shots without the diamonds by using a contact point behind the object ball.

But there is a little more to it to be able to make them consistently than what is shown here...but the main point is YES it is possible! :thumbup:

Don't miss this!

More to come soon...

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff Mike, yet more stuff I haven't encountered!!! I'll have to compare this to the CTE banking approach tonight, I'm pretty deadly with that these days except for some of the more off angle banks, maybe this will fill in that gap.

Thanks!
Scott

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Interesting Mike.. I've never seen this approach..

So when doing the cut back banks, am I aiming the CB center at the rear "contact point" on the OB??

On the crossover, I obviously cannon hit the actual CP, so am I aiming center CB at that point once again?

I'll try this when I get home from work tonight..

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Just for the hell of it, does anyone know the true name for the diamonds, or sometimes called dots, on a pool table?
The first person to send in a correct answer will win a new Schwinn bicycle compliments of The Miracle Bread Company. Remember folks: "If it tastes good, it's a Miracle." :)

Last edited:

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for the hell of it, does anyone know the true name for the diamonds, or sometimes called dots, on a pool table?
The first person to send in a correct answer will win a new Schwinn bicycle compliments of The Miracle Bread Company. Remember folks: "If it tastes good, it's a Miracle." :)

They are correctly referred to as sights.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting Mike.. I've never seen this approach..

So when doing the cut back banks, am I aiming the CB center at the rear "contact point" on the OB??

On the crossover, I obviously cannon hit the actual CP, so am I aiming center CB at that point once again?

I'll try this when I get home from work tonight..

Hey Joe,

Aim cue ball center at these points, no english, soft speed. Speed and throw will affect all banks, including these. There are adjustments as the cuts get thinner and throw is a factor.

This simple system is tailor made for the diamond system challenged pool player. :grin: That's why I like it.

Best,
Mike

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
There's a ton of information necessary to make banks consistently...

Hi,

the 9th of June 2011 we will launch a new instructional online book and 40 min. online video.

It is the SEE-SYSTEM.

It was develloped by Darren Appleton and me.
Beside a complete aiming and aligning system for direct shots it covers how to make bank shots without the diamonds by using a contact point behind the object ball.

But there is a little more to it to be able to make them consistently than what is shown here...but the main point is YES it is possible! :thumbup:

Don't miss this!

More to come soon...

While there are short cuts and ways of becoming more accurate, banking is the best illustration of why it is necssary to use SOME feel when playing billiards.

The problem most people run into when lining up a bank is using the same rebound angle relative to the rail from center ball.

The easy way to get around that is to aim through the rail contact point on the object ball.

It's going to be different for any given angle, but it will ALWAYS be the same relative to the rail.

No matter what angle the OB is coming at the rail from, the CP on the OB when it strikes the rail will be parallel to the rail.

If you imagine the same rebound angle going through the section of the OB where the CP is, and you hit the ball a medium shot, it will rebound at the same angle. (This doesn't work on Diamonds for all shots, well it might with the new rail design).

You'll have to account for tons of variables though. That's where the feel aspect comes in. Follow or draw, left or right spin, stun, etc... I'm not going to cover all aspects of banking in this post, but if you can follow the above and practice it, it will help with banking and especially kicking because it gives you an accurate starting point to adjust to the other variables.

Jaden