Protecting hardwood floors when installing 9' Diamond in house

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told by Diamond that putting rubber shims under the table legs was an option for protecting hardwood floors and preventing slipping.

However, they said the Pro-Am legs where the leveling block hits the floor are 2.25'' x 3.75''. It seems like all rubber shims I can find for this purpose are 3'' in diameter so they won't cover the entire leg where it meets the floor.

It would be better if I could just purchase rubber material and cut it to the perfect dimensions, but I have no idea where to look or what type and thickness of rubber I would need.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 10mil shower pan liner.

Moved the table after a few years and there was no sign of wear. But this was thick old hardwood, not laminate like is common now. Maybe thicker pad is warranted, for that stuff.

I found it by the foot at a plumbing store, but I think Lowe's has it too.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is the theory that once set up, you never move a table. Even if the wife decides to re-arrange the furniture and asks to "scootch it over a little" at some point in residential. So rubber would work fine. But any rubber will be non-skid. Meaning for a table you would have to lift before "scootching over". I would (probably will) use cork or 1/8" thick plywood pads.

Rubber baler belting from Central tractor its thick, tough, does not bunch/roll due to fabric core, works good for pads on hard surfaces; but it might leave black marks. (I've used it for pads under steel legs, outside).

Good, tough, non-mar pads can be cut from silcon cowl baffle seal material, either fiberglass reinforced or not - but it's expensive.

:)

smt

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of the "pad" you use, it is a good idea to add a "breather" layer between the flooring and the pad. Two thicknesses of linen will help protect the finish on the floor from condensed ambient moisture.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Last edited:

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used the grip rug pad material and cut it to the size you need. Doesnt stick or scratch the hardwood.

anthony_r_cook

Custom neoprene rubber sheets

This is 12" x 24", about $85 and you can cut to shape. More on this website if you want a different durometer (hardness) or material. Like the other comment above about putting a couple layers of linen between rubber and floor to allow moisture to get out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8837k26