Getting a ball spot

DappleHillJim

Registered
What does it mean if a better 9 ball player spots a weaker player the 8 (or 7 or any other ball)? Does the weaker player win on sinking the spotted ball? Or does he ignore the spotted ball and shoot the 9?

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use a ball spotting system for our 9 ball leagues. But in our case you must get to the spotted ball for it to be a win. if I give you 2 balls, the 7 and 8, and you sink either one while there is still a lower numbered ball on the table it's not a win. Some other people play were anytime you sink your spotted ball it's a win.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Win's on sinking balls being spotted or 9. Sometimes it may be call 7 , 8.which means you have to call the spotted ball. Wild, anything goes.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
If someone says to you " you can have the 8", think of it as being able to win the game by shooting in the 8 or 9 and winning the game. You still must always hit the lowest ball on the table, but you can combo the 8 and or 9 on a legal hit, or get to the 8, shoot it in, and win the game.

If it's "call 8", you need to call the pocket, rather than slop it in.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There are many variations of ball spotting.

As your first example, spotting the 7 means you can win on the 7 or 9. Where I play, I have to call the spotted ball in order to count as a win.

Second variation, X and out. So 7 and out means, 7,8,&9 will win the game. Usually, this means each count as a money ball and does not have to be called.

YMMV

DappleHillJim

Registered
Ball spot

Thanks for all replies. Based on your input, it seems each situation needs to be ironed out in advance, as there are variations. Best to assume nothing is a "given" if there is anything of value on the line.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks for all replies. Based on your input, it seems each situation needs to be ironed out in advance, as there are variations. Best to assume nothing is a "given" if there is anything of value on the line.

If someone offers you the 8....you have a right to assume that you have two money balls.
If you make either one legally, you win.
....it's also called the 8 wild.

If there are other conditions, like call 8 or can't make it on the break....it's up to the one
offering the spot to stipulate this.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If you play really well the game on the wire is better, since you will rarely miss the 9 after making the 8.
If you don't play so well then the 8 is better. If you're in doubt of whether you play well enough then probably you want the 8.

gr. Dave

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play really well the game on the wire is better, since you will rarely miss the 9 after making the 8.
If you don't play so well then the 8 is better. If you're in doubt of whether you play well enough then probably you want the 8.

gr. Dave

I am a C. For B players and lower, I was thinking the ball spots is bigger weight than game spots. In addition to getting out earlier, ball spots give another combo opportunity.

Wasn't sure what people think is the appropriate spot for intermediate and lower players.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Terminology:
you got the X = you have X wild plus the 9 wild

You got the call X = you have X but it must be called and made in that pocket to count

You got the last X = you must make one of the Last X or any subsequent ball remaining on the table to win. Non of these can be made early on, they must be made on their turn. The 9 is still wild.

You got the X and out = you have X thru 9 wild.

Orange crush = you have the 5 out

Determining if you should take a game spot or ball spot factors.
-does your opponent miss or complete runouts? If he runs out then take games on the wire. If he misses then taking ball spots is good depending on your ability to make shots from anywhere he/she leaves you.

Ball spots can equal out to games spotted but be weary of a great player. Always get as many free games as possible bc they are free wins.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I am a C. For B players and lower, I was thinking the ball spots is bigger weight than game spots. In addition to getting out earlier, ball spots give another combo opportunity.

Wasn't sure what people think is the appropriate spot for intermediate and lower players.

If you're a C player then you definitely want the 8 instead of a game on the wire going to 7.

gr. Dave

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't really think of a situation in a race to 7 where I'd rather have one game on the wire as opposed to getting the 8. Think about it this way, if you're getting a game on the wire and he wins the first game (or ties the set at any point) you're playing the rest of it even. Also, how many times have you seen a layout where the 8 and nine are relatively centered on opposite end rails? I know when I'm at the table, I'd MUCH rather have to only get on the 8 rather than on the 8 WITH position to get to the 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I can't really think of a situation in a race to 7 where I'd rather have one game on the wire as opposed to getting the 8. Think about it this way, if you're getting a game on the wire and he wins the first game (or ties the set at any point) you're playing the rest of it even. Also, how many times have you seen a layout where the 8 and nine are relatively centered on opposite end rails? I know when I'm at the table, I'd MUCH rather have to only get on the 8 rather than on the 8 WITH position to get to the 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post, IMO
When you get a ball spot...you get it every game....
...game spot...you get it once a match.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Post isn't that old to bring back.
Just subbin'. Missed the first go-round.