World famous draw stick ready for close investigation

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean, is it possible that you guys just happened on a freshly waxed CB? If someone used something similar to Johnson’s Paste Wax that would for sure increase the draw significantly.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the idea that it must be the shaft or ferrule . . .
Dean,
-- Have you not considered that something is unusual about the tip's material, or the adhesive used in bonding the tip to the ferrule?

-- Also, be sure to have someone post a video showing the cue's uncanny performance, preferably showing several different players getting amazing results with it.

Arnaldo

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe a little more force, speed and RPMs, but not more "spin" (more spin-to-speed) - except after the CB hits the OB pretty full, as I described above.

And the same effect can be produced with any stick/ferrule simply by hitting a little harder.

pj
chgo

P.S. Another effect of more squirt could be a more "level" hit on the CB with draw - because the extra squirt "redirects" the cue's force from slightly downward to more level. This could have an effect on how much draw spin is rubbed off on the way to the OB - and it couldn't be produced just by hitting harder.

What I was trying to relay, was that you would, by simple way of mass, impart more strike/force to the cueball with the same stroke, all things being equal. Whether or not that is enough to generate an inordinate amount of spin, I can't answer...Too many other variables/unknowns.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that actually talks to me while I am shooting. It says things like:

"why the f**k did you shoot that shot like that?"

"why did you put so much left on that shot?"

"what the hell were you thinking?"

"you've hit that shot a millions times, why do you keep on thinking it will work?"

etc, etc, etc...…….

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that actually talks to me while I am shooting. It says things like:

"why the f**k did you shoot that shot like that?"

"why did you put so much left on that shot?"

"what the hell were you thinking?"

"you've hit that shot a millions times, why do you keep on thinking it will work?"

etc, etc, etc...…….

I've owned several of your cues first cousins. :D

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i am glad you find this unbelievable

I was playing with Jerry franklin,I hit a cut shot fairly easy
it looked like a soft masse' shot in reverse

Jerry handed me his tulip wood south west and played
the rest of our day about 2 hours with my Josey

Jerry had a huge grin on his face,it was unreal

It was not meant to be anything but a sneaky pete

Jack potter ,of Libra cue fame can make the same report

Dennis Glenn was so impressed he asked for me to put it
in his collection,which I did until next week and I am borrowing it

if this cue still does it,honestly some of you guys would need to come to dallas to see it

I could draw better than Mike Massey,and i have no stroke

i know you guys think i am crazy

4D6EA6C3-B20C-4A8D-904A-065EFE4A5B96.jpeg

:cool:

Some cues draw better than others....my knowledge is mostly empirical...
...but I’m thinking it might be what I call spine...I’ve had strong cues that were dead...
...the ones I’ve liked whip...but they whip QUICK...not slow and lazy like a pro taper.

I bought a cue in Cincinnati in ‘78 that I could draw three quarters of a table length
farther than any other cue,,,it had an ivory ferrule 13mm...as usual, I had the ferrule
chopped and shaft retapered to a 12mm....it still had the hit.

The ferrule material gives the cue a soft hit...WWII vintage...never swells.

6B005B8A-BC59-4E7C-969B-A62E8EA68868.jpeg

The Black on the left.....,ferrule’s been on for over 20 years...
...the Joss on the right...ferrule’s been on since 1980...
..both are still tight.

The cue I bought in Cincinnati was a Gus...some cues are magic....
...it’s the arrow AND the Indian

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
only things that make it easier to draw back.

hitting lower
thin shaft to get lower
more speed
heavier stick
slippery cue ball
stick made from an old magic wand
stick is blessed

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with different players from Vanover to Dick Lane
Jack Potter,Dennis Glenn,Dean Campbell,Jerry Franklin

in different pool halls,different states, different players
everyone mentioned got way more draw on the cue ball

I have trouble drawing my ball,I got curves coming right back at me

Jerry franklin couldn't believe his eyes

you guys are wrong about this

you are saying it is impossible,we say we saw it happen

just in case the cue still works are any of you willing to be $10,000
that it doesn't.

Now I am going to make sure before I bet,but that shouldn't matter to you if it
is impossible,the fact that I see it doesn't matter to you

is not the first step in science observation

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What I was trying to relay, was that you would, by simple way of mass, impart more strike/force to the cueball with the same stroke, all things being equal. Whether or not that is enough to generate an inordinate amount of spin, I can't answer...Too many other variables/unknowns.
Oh, I get you now. That's what I was saying too - more force can make a difference in after-collision spin, especially for fuller hits.

pj
chgo

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Most all cue makers have tried the cue ball joint / ferrule at one time. I’ve had several done, none of which were above and beyond anything. Keith makes a great cue and it wasn’t the ferrule, it was the shaft. I had a bone stock predator that an APA 3 could draw the ball at least a table length. I had another identical shaft that played like an absolute log. You can put a cherry on a cat turd but that don’t make it taste any better. It’s like all the sheep running after the latest and great tips, ready to pay $30-$50 for something they think will offset the fact they’re not players. Same goes with the carbon fiber shafts, PT Barnum would be proud. My cue has no ferrule, and in the right hands it’ll draw circles around Picasso....just not in my hands :killingme:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
magic

A fairly well known magic in benchrest circles is about barrels. Some rifle barrels cut the wind better than the typical barrel. Looks the same, profiled the same, apparently chambered, rifled, and crowned the same. Some are average accurate, some are very accurate, but what they have in common is for some reason the bullets from these barrels drift less from the wind than the same bullets from another barrel. Impossible on the surface, too many around to deny.

Which brings us to this magic shaft. I don't believe the ferrule material alone explains it, I know many ferrules have been made from old cue balls over the years. The actual length and mass of the ferrule might be interesting but my bet is that it is fairly heavy.

The shaft described as whippy or limber might be of interest, especially when it is described as not flexing like other shafts. I once built an extremely limber playing shaft. It had sixteen inches of dead straight pro section then a normal taper. Sumbeach flexed where the pro taper ended and the faster taper began, almost like there was a step there. I was somewhat tempted to experiment with the shaft but overall the play was so foul and unpleasant I snapped it over my knee before throwing it in the trash can. I did that with a few experimental shafts, they were so bad I didn't want them surviving with my name attached to them. Less than fifteen dollars and some time, shafts are cheap when you have your own lathe.

Because of the flex taking place so far from the tip the fourteen inches or so of leverage came into play and the shaft seemed to flex a lot and very fast. Would this help with draw? I don't remember. I only played with it thirty minutes or so before it met with it's early demise.

Read somewhere that any technology sufficiently advanced will seem like magic. I wouldn't call the shaft that draws easily exactly technically advanced but it might be enough different to seem to defy natural laws, playing much differently than other shafts.

Just some speculation. I am very skeptical of this wonder shaft but I would hit with it before calling it impossible. Not being my own shaft I wouldn't even condemn it to death if I didn't like it!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you get it back, if it still draws the way you remember, please have Vigus video it for us before taking anything apart.

You want video from a guy who can't post a picture of a cue?!

Lou Figueroa
OK, so maybe
Vigus can do it
for him

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Dean.

If you have been around pool halls your whole life you will have held a huge, wide variety of cues in your hands over the years and know that some are just "different" than others.

I myself have written about a particular cue I owned that played well because of its wrap. I have held cues in my hand that seemed to float. I have held cues in my hands that put ungodly amounts of spin on the ball (and the scientists can go pound sand). And I have held cues in my hands that felt dead -- like a corpse.

So I have no trouble believing Dean. If you've been around... you know.

Lou Figueroa

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A fairly well known magic in benchrest circles is about barrels. Some rifle barrels cut the wind better than the typical barrel. Looks the same, profiled the same, apparently chambered, rifled, and crowned the same. Some are average accurate, some are very accurate, but what they have in common is for some reason the bullets from these barrels drift less from the wind than the same bullets from another barrel. Impossible on the surface, too many around to deny.

Which brings us to this magic shaft. I don't believe the ferrule material alone explains it, I know many ferrules have been made from old cue balls over the years. The actual length and mass of the ferrule might be interesting but my bet is that it is fairly heavy.

The shaft described as whippy or limber might be of interest, especially when it is described as not flexing like other shafts. I once built an extremely limber playing shaft. It had sixteen inches of dead straight pro section then a normal taper. Sumbeach flexed where the pro taper ended and the faster taper began, almost like there was a step there. I was somewhat tempted to experiment with the shaft but overall the play was so foul and unpleasant I snapped it over my knee before throwing it in the trash can. I did that with a few experimental shafts, they were so bad I didn't want them surviving with my name attached to them. Less than fifteen dollars and some time, shafts are cheap when you have your own lathe.

Because of the flex taking place so far from the tip the fourteen inches or so of leverage came into play and the shaft seemed to flex a lot and very fast. Would this help with draw? I don't remember. I only played with it thirty minutes or so before it met with it's early demise.

Read somewhere that any technology sufficiently advanced will seem like magic. I wouldn't call the shaft that draws easily exactly technically advanced but it might be enough different to seem to defy natural laws, playing much differently than other shafts.

Just some speculation. I am very skeptical of this wonder shaft but I would hit with it before calling it impossible. Not being my own shaft I wouldn't even condemn it to death if I didn't like it!

Hu

Once you fire a Kimber, its all downhill from there. Anyway, there is absolutely nothing about a CB ferrule (it would be more helpful if we knew what the exact material was) that is going to get you more draw. By any chance is the tip 10mm?

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you fire a Kimber, its all downhill from there. Anyway, there is absolutely nothing about a CB ferrule (it would be more helpful if we knew what the exact material was) that is going to get you more draw. By any chance is the tip 10mm?

Kimber?
I hope you know more about pool than firearms. Lol