Where are you measuring?

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
I’m trying to get motivated to sell some cues and I’ve got my calipers and scale etc to give an accurate description.

My question is, when giving the diameter of the shafts, where do you measure? The tip is obvious but that’s not exactly where the shaft will be gliding through your bridge. Do you measure from about 6-8” down? That would make more sense to me.

What’s the consensus? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Thank you Jimmy that makes sense.

That’s probably where I’ll measure to be safe.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
If everything is done properly you should be able to measure the ferrule below the tip. Far to many times do people sand a ferrule to much and theres a difference between the tip of the ferrule and where the ferrule meets the shaft. Same thing happens when repairmen or a not so smart cuemaker cleans a shaft. They will sand (which is the worst thing you can do to a shaft) up to the ferrule and it develops the q tip look. A good rule of thumb is to measure both places and if there is a substantial difference, within the length of the ferrule, go off the base of the ferrule where it meets the shaft. Thats just another reason the ferrule really has no place on a shaft, other than looks and the fact if its ivory its a selling point.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say tip/ ferrule diameter is the primary measure.

Some folks may be interested in the diameter at the joint too.

Taper is a tougher one to measure, but you can wrap a piece of string around the ferrule and then slide it toward the joint to see where it begins to increase. A strip of paper can surely be used too.

If it was I listing, I'd offer the tip/ joint measure as a starter and let potential buyer request and specific measures outside that.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
I'd say tip/ ferrule diameter is the primary measure.

Some folks may be interested in the diameter at the joint too.

Taper is a tougher one to measure, but you can wrap a piece of string around the ferrule and then slide it toward the joint to see where it begins to increase. A strip of paper can surely be used too.

If it was I listing, I'd offer the tip/ joint measure as a starter and let potential buyer request and specific measures outside that.

Good point BB. More info the better. Can’t hurt. Unless I regret selling, then it might sting a bit...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I’m trying to get motivated to sell some cues and I’ve got my calipers and scale etc to give an accurate description.

My question is, when giving the diameter of the shafts, where do you measure? The tip is obvious but that’s not exactly where the shaft will be gliding through your bridge. Do you measure from about 6-8” down? That would make more sense to me.

What’s the consensus? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

You measure carefully, right below the ferrule, but that's not your only task. You then describe the taper of the shaft, and provide pictures, if possible. Personally, I would describe the taper as very long, pro taper, conical, etc, and give a couple measurements, about ten and maybe fifteen inches down. Also, if a conical taper, I would definitely say that, as it's a bit unusual, and give the same measurement.

Definitely give the measurement at the joint. Someone interested may also be interested in using the shafts on other cues. And give the measurements in both thousands of an inch, and also millimeters. Cue buyers are fussy.

And, by the way, if the shaft is a bit oval, because of uneven hand sanding, you don't sell it at all. That happens with a lot of shafts. Your micrometer is your best friend.

All the best,
WW

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
WW, good stuff. Thank you. Take the time and give multiple measurements. And that makes sense about the joint diameter in case they want to share the shafts w other butts. ��

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Measure the tip/ferrule. A lot of guys have turned the ferrules down through cleaning and sanding. Measure the tip diameter and other places if there are issues

Anything else will get the cue sent back to you.

If the shaft is thinner than the ferrule, disclose that also.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key components of shaft measurement from a players standpoint would extend the first 14 inches of the shaft down from the base of the ferrule on the wood shaft itself - they are interested in tip diameter and shaft taper; so I suggest measuring the shaft a the base of the ferrule, seven inches down from there and also 14 inches down from your first measurement. This will give a true player a good feel for the basic tip diameter as well as the taper on that shaft, which, most times, is just as important for playability to a skilled cueist. Also from an "owner' standpoint- measure the shaft diameter at the base of the shaft collar where it meets the cue butt, someone may want to interchange that shaft on other cues with the same joint screw and they want to understand how the facings match up.

As a very experienced player and cue collector, I can tell you that I have learned the hard way to really understand the shaft taper aspect on an advertised cue, because it can vary so much from the actual tip diameter that some shafts are unplayable when received due to huge variances in shaft tapers. If one receives a shaft that is lacking in desired taper- you can have it turned down to your own specs, but just like a too well done steak, a shaft that is too thin somewhere in those first 14 inches is useless if someone requires a thicker taper in that cueing area.

Last edited: