What cue stroke are you using?

What type of stroke are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm curious & I was just wondering how many of you are using a completely fixed elbow pendulum stroke & how many of you are using a variation or a completely different stroke all together such as a piston type stroke?

Also, if you would like, could you briefly explain why you are using that stroke.

Thanks in Advance & Best Wishes to All,
Rick

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I use a full fixed elbow pendulum stroke. Kind of used to it already. I'm still trying to have a stroke like Chris Melling.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you try to have ONE way of hitting the ball....
...that would be like a golfer who plays with one club.

I think when I played full-time, I had about 8 different strokes.

The basic stroke was 'piston'....but the situation would often require
variations.
If you only have one way to hit a ball, you'll find many shots that it can't handle.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Depends on the shot, but I usually stick with a snooker-style piston stroke for accuracy, control, and the fact that it doesn't break down under pressure like the other strokes that I use.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I use a fixed elbow. Forearm hanging down relaxed (straight down towards the floor).
From low speed to medium speed my upperarm, shoulder and elbow don t move. If more acceleration needed, on execution of the last stroke my upperarm including elbow (ofc shoulder in that case too) will follow naturally bc if the motion .
This doesn t matter bc it will be close after impact with whitey (hopefully).

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

variations.
If you only have one way to hit a ball, you'll find many shots that it can't handle.

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Bruce Lee

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
My stroke, is mine. It is unique to me. :cool:

At first, I was like, "good grief, I've NEVER seen anyone *so* lockjaw-fixated on something really trivial like why a pendulum stroke is taught -- and why all the herculean effort to rail against it." But you're right, Tony -- let's have some fun with this fixation.

Sam: What we need is a few good taters.
Gollum: What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?
Sam: *Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
[Gollum makes a noise of disgust while sticking his tongue out]
Sam: Even you couldn't say no to that.
Gollum: Oh yes we could. Spoilin' nice fish. Give it to us raw and w-r-r-riggling; you keep nasty chips.
Sam: You're hopeless.

You keep nasty pendulum stroke, Tony. We's like our elbow loose and w-w-w-o-b-b-b-l-i-n-g!

:p
-Sean

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

variations.

PT,

I agree with you. To play the game at a high level it, the game, will require different types of hits on the cue ball & one specific stroke can not deliver all of the different hits that the game will demand for success.

Regards & Best Wishes,

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Depends on the shot, but I usually stick with a snooker-style piston stroke for accuracy, control, and the fact that it doesn't break down under pressure like the other strokes that I use.

Victor,

Right. It depends on the shot. I also agree with the rest of your statement.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I use a fixed elbow. Forearm hanging down relaxed (straight down towards the floor).
From low speed to medium speed my upperarm, shoulder and elbow don t move. If more acceleration needed, on execution of the last stroke my upperarm including elbow (ofc shoulder in that case too) will follow naturally bc if the motion .
This doesn t matter bc it will be close after impact with whitey (hopefully).

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Ingo,

The portion in bold & blue above is interesting.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I dont think I use any particular method... if I do it is by accident and not by choice. I use what it takes for me to get the job done.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think my stroke is pretty close to pendulum-like, but I don't worry about dropping my elbow at all.
Shots will come up where dropping it will make more sense and require less strain than trying to
generate 100% of your cue speed with your bicep and then rigidly stopping at the end of your swing.

I do think the pause is the nuts and the theory behind less-moving-parts is very solid.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Bruce Lee

Jon,

Ahhh, but Bruce also said, 'be like water my friend'. He also did not conform to one way & I'm sure he practiced not one, but many kicks 10,000 times each.

Best Wishes,
Rick

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Bruce Lee

You may have heard the story about the golfer who trained a gorilla to
play golf....the gorilla could hit a drive 400 yards.....
....unfortunately, he putted the same way.:shocked2:

:)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
At first, I was like, "good grief, I've NEVER seen anyone *so* lockjaw-fixated on something really trivial like why a pendulum stroke is taught -- and why all the herculean effort to rail against it." But you're right, Tony -- let's have some fun with this fixation.

Sam: What we need is a few good taters.
Gollum: What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?
Sam: *Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
[Gollum makes a noise of disgust while sticking his tongue out]
Sam: Even you couldn't say no to that.
Gollum: Oh yes we could. Spoilin' nice fish. Give it to us raw and w-r-r-riggling; you keep nasty chips.
Sam: You're hopeless.

You keep nasty pendulum stroke, Tony. We's like our elbow loose and w-w-w-o-b-b-b-l-i-n-g!

:p
-Sean

Sorry, no candy for the children today.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a video of me playing in the instructor forums, I guess I have the "elbow drop" thing, although when I line up, my cue stays level, I don't feel like my arm is moving anywhere except straight forward.

http://youtu.be/W6KKnuZWiWE

About 7:10 I actually played a bit of 9 ball where you can see how I hit better.