100 ball run in Straight Pool on a Bar Table

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, looks like we're on the same page after all, and you're right that with almost no data available back in the day to size up players within a single poolroom scene, high run was often of great interest as a possible parameter to measure playing speed.

For the pros who competed at the top level, though, competitive record mattered far more. Mike Zuglan, surely one of the five best straight poolers of the 1990s, never ran 200, but everyone knew it was simply because high runs meant nothing to him. Everyone knew he was a stone cold killer in competition.

Like you, I don't see a clear path to reversing the trend, but in Europe, where there is a formal European Straight Pool Championship with a large field as part of the European Pool Championships, they've got the right idea. I also like what Peter Burrows is gradually building at the American 14.1 Event. We could do with a few more events like these.

Just wanted to add a couple things. This thread has morphed off the original question but in a good way I think.

Peter Burrows. If you're a 14.1 fan this man deserves your utmost respect and admiration. For those who don't know, he's the driving force behind the American 14.1 Championship.
He's (83 I think) yet still has the desire to put forth the effort (not to mention, a lot of money) to promote this tournament and try to keep this great game alive.
If you love the game and have the wherewithal then support him either monetarily or by attending the tournament.
Andy Lincoln (alinco on AZB) is his right hand man and hopefully will continue if Peter is unable to.
Wouldn't surprise me if Peter has provisions in his will to fund the tournament. That's how much he loves the game.

This thread has brought back memories of the great players and poolrooms of the past. Things have changed quite a bit.
For people new to the game who are interested in yesteryear, a really good book to get a sense of the way it was is Ned Polskys "Hustlers Beats And Others".
Used copies are available on Amazon for about 10 bucks and I highly recommend it.