What is “the better player”?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I couldn't agree less with the premise of this thread. A long race is not the true test. A short race, in which every shot is pressure filled, is a better test.

Let two guys play a race to five every day for twenty five days. The one who wins more sets is the better player.

To me, nothing defines a champion more than the ability to perform in late match pressure situations.

erikido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from the put a number....but whoever says shotmaking can't be above 4 is just plain wrong. If u miss the shot u lose the game against a good player the majority of the time. U arent always shooting from ur position play. Sometimes u step to the table after ur opponent.

My opinion is u must have good patterns, q control(and in turn good safety play and kicking) and ability to handle pressure to be a good player. What separates the great from the good is a far superior consistency and or excelling at a specific aspect

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
I would like to see JUMPING in the mix :)

There seems to be a belief in the pool world that a long race will decide the better player. What criteria is used to decide what “better player” means?

Let’s try to break it down in no particular order of importance.
Shot-making
Position play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Breaking ability
Banking ability
Pattern play
Stamina
Mental Process
Stress/Anxiety

If these are the top 10 characteristics of “the better player”, they now need to be assigned a percentage of importance for your version of “better player”. The top will get 100 points and the bottom 10 points.

Please post your list by order of importance so I can track where you place the most importance. Please post it something like this, the most important on top, the least important on bottom. Here is mine.

Shot-making
Position play
Breaking ability
Pattern play
Safety play
Kicking ability
Banking ability
Mental Process
Handling Stress/Anxiety
Stamina

I’ll try to compile the results once a day so we can find out what AZ’ers believe is the better player. Please, no explanations needed. That can be done in separate threads if you want to voice opinions of importance. It will just be easier for me that way.

I'll compile in the next post down.

Thanks, have some fun with this.

I would like to see JUMPING in the mix :)

Shot-making
Safety play
Kicking / JUMPING ability
Position play
Mental Process
Banking ability
Handling Stress/Anxiety
Breaking ability
Stamina
Pattern play

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta agree with Geno...the 'better player' is the one who gets the cash, period.

As they say, the belt just hold up ya pants.