Table vacuum....

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I have tried many different kinds. These old dust devils are the best I found. They're cheap too. They have a rotating bar but you can take it out by removing a single screw.

1327356288-964682_full.jpg

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sir, i used to work in a high-dust shop. We had a top-notch HEPA-equipped removal system. I know what you're talking about. Vacuuming a pool table from time-to-time is not anywhere near the same thing. All i'm saying.

Was just suggesting. That's all. Not looking to argue anything.
I just bought a Festool Midi for dust (wood shop). I use it on my table. I have no excuse for bad rolls:D:D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just suggesting. That's all. Not looking to argue anything.
I just bought a Festool Midi for dust (wood shop). I use it on my table. I have no excuse for bad rolls:D:D
Niiice. Festool is top of the heap. German quality for sure.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That and maybe a crevice tool for under the rails looks like all you really need. Unless you're really allergic/bothered by dust i don't think you really need a hepa filter'd vac.

Totally agree about the crevice tool.
I’ve been in rooms where the tables were reasonably clean..
...but they had a science project under the rails.

E443AD1F-F6B1-4863-8DAB-6751964B34A0.jpeg

It’s only a few bucks....and it does wonders

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Just curious if you all only vacuum your table?

Does anyone use a brush alone?

I was playing last week on a table w new cloth and one of the guys said the cloth will pill if it's brushed against the grain.

Any insight on that?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I've always been curious if anyone has tried a carpet steam cleaner with an upholstery attatchments to clean their cloth. They don't have a lot of water pressure and you can use whatever temp water you want. The vac should extract most of the water maybe leaving it damp. Seems like it would work...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've always been curious if anyone has tried a carpet steam cleaner with an upholstery attatchments to clean their cloth. They don't have a lot of water pressure and you can use whatever temp water you want. The vac should extract most of the water maybe leaving it damp. Seems like it would work...

Damp cloth tends to dry hard....doesn’t play well.
...and moisture around the cushions is not a good thing.

JC

Coos Cues
This is what I use. Cut the hole with a hole saw. The little vacuum in one hand and the brush in the other. Really removes the dust instead of just smearing it around.

Then I wipe it down with a hot damp cloth with some woolite in the water.

002 [800x600].jpg

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
Damp cloth tends to dry hard....doesn’t play well.
...and moisture around the cushions is not a good thing.

Curious if you have tried this? I wouldn't do the rails with it. As far as leaving the cloth hard, I haven't noticed that after cleaning with a very wet towel, even if it did stiffen up a little it would soften up after using it a little just like wearing clothes that hung out on the clothesline.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Curious if you have tried this? I wouldn't do the rails with it. As far as leaving the cloth hard, I haven't noticed that after cleaning with a very wet towel, even if it did stiffen up a little it would soften up after using it a little just like wearing clothes that hung out on the clothesline.

Our best billiard mechanic in the 70s tried spraying a cloth before he installed it...
...on the theory that it would dry tighter.....said it didn’t play right.

And cleaning with a damp cloth will affect the rails....
..and turns loose chalk under the cloth to mud.

Vacuum is the best

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
seems like if you vacuum first it would remove the loose chalk under and on the cloth, leaving the chalk and dirt that is embedded in the cloth. I was hoping someone has actually tried this. Guess I'll have to experiment on some old cloth that I have. Might be a while I have to borrow a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attatchment. I'll post the results when done.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I use. Cut the hole with a hole saw. The little vacuum in one hand and the brush in the other. Really removes the dust instead of just smearing it around.

Then I wipe it down with a hot damp cloth with some woolite in the water.

View attachment 531067
Great idea. Cheap, home-made and effective.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using this on my table for three years. It’s a Shark model v15z with the brush assembly and belt removed. I got the idea from a thread I saw on here a long time ago. Thing works great—built in hose with brush, crevice tool, plenty of suction for the job, and it was only a little over $30 if I remember correctly.

I do exactly the same thing on my 10' Gabriels billiard table. The idea came from a thread on onepocket.org where a guy showed how to remove the drive band and rotating brush. Works great.