Color commentator for Mosconi Cup

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

bb9ball

Registered
What a surprise here at azbilliards... all suggested are old white men in a thread titled with the implication of "color".

I can't believe Alex Pagulayan hasn't been recommended, or, yes I can.

Go whitey... go go... go whitey... go go... go whitey... go go

If you're racist and you know it clap your hands, if you're racist and you know it and really want to show it, if you're racist and you know it clap your hands.

As others have mentioned, I did mean "expert commentator". "Color commentator" is a term I am familiar with and didn't consider it being misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Commentators? I just wish they'd drop using those stupid colored balls...

(edit) That said, kind of surprised nobody has mentioned Rodney Morris, so I will. I think he'd be great, having played in the cup.

Rodney would be a good choice.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy smokes! It was right in front of our faces the whole time! Of course, Ray Hansen is the PERFECT choice. He's got a very good voice for audio quality, and he most definitely knows the game AND the players.

I nominate Big Truck!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did think Darren but you are right, he’s from Yorkshire. I knew he was from up north. Let’s call it a senior moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter where he is from, I hope closed captioning is working if he is a commentator. To me, it sounds like he has marbles in his mouth when he is talking.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert, Jerry Forsyth, John Schmidt, Earl Strickland, Alex Lely, Jimmy Wych (sp) from Canada, Darren Appleton (sp), and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I say Me , lol ...... leave it up to a pool player to say himself , lol ,,, JOKES

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy smokes! It was right in front of our faces the whole time! Of course, Ray Hansen is the PERFECT choice. He's got a very good voice for audio quality, and he most definitely knows the game AND the players.

I nominate Big Truck!
Nothing against Ray but he's more of the play-by-play guy. Color guy is almost always an ex-top player. Don't think his playing credentials are that of a Earl, Rodney, your Keith, etc.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember Jay commentating Earl’s match at the World Pool Championship in Cardiff (1999 or thereabouts) and calling Earl an embarrassment to America and a disgrace to pool for his poor sportsmanship in that match. All of that was broadcast on BBC and Earl got quite upset about it. I don’t remember who was Earl’s opponent in that match. I hope Jay and Earl have since reconciled or else it could be a great opportunity for them to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's water under the bridge now. Earl and I are okay. We get along fine off the table. Where we had problems was during some of his matches.

I did commentary for Matchroom and the MC for several years and greatly enjoyed it. I would love the opportunity to do it again if asked.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please. He's way past his sell-by date. At one time he was good but that's been a while.

I disagree, Bill Incardona is the only commentator along side with Grady Mathews who make each game and every single rack interesting.

He will point out the issue in each rack and which are the problems and key shots plus a way to solve them, even if the rack is easy he will still point out the major positional play or which ball needs a specific position, example: he'll start off by explaining the layout, then point out that the four ball needs a specific shape where you need to cut it to the right, then explain the reasoning why he thinks that side of the ball is major and important.

Other commentators would go, "Ok he's out, this rack is easy, he will run out" blah blah, I dislike today's commentators, we need more of guys like Billy Incardona, and I've never seen this quality commentating ever, not even Scott Frost, not even Mark, darn Mark will only tell you after each shot, watch his backhand stroke, it's straight etc etc, its so boring to listen to Mark.

Oh and Danny who gets most things wrong, or that other commentator who took the seat on every match since 2003 who sounds like the NFL commentator, he thinks good commentating is shouting about how great that shot was, please....his name is Jim Wytch or something like that, please we don't need those commentators.

We need quality commentating like the likes of Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews and Buddy Hall. We need to feel excited about each rack with the chance to learn something strategic.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I disagree, Bill Incardona is the only commentator along side with Grady Mathews who make each game and every single rack interesting.

He will point out the issue in each rack and which are the problems and key shots plus a way to solve them, even if the rack is easy he will still point out the major positional play or which ball needs a specific position, example: he'll start off by explaining the layout, then point out that the four ball needs a specific shape where you need to cut it to the right, then explain the reasoning why he thinks that side of the ball is major and important.

Other commentators would go, "Ok he's out, this rack is easy, he will run out" blah blah, I dislike today's commentators, we need more of guys like Billy Incardona, and I've never seen this quality commentating ever, not even Scott Frost, not even Mark, darn Mark will only tell you after each shot, watch his backhand stroke, it's straight etc etc, its so boring to listen to Mark.

Oh and Danny who gets most things wrong, or that other commentator who took the seat on every match since 2003 who sounds like the NFL commentator, he thinks good commentating is shouting about how great that shot was, please....his name is Jim Wytch or something like that, please we don't need those commentators.

We need quality commentating like the likes of Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews and Buddy Hall. We need to feel excited about each rack with the chance to learn something strategic.

I agree. Billy Incardona is the best commentator in the business. That said, I have no idea whether he'd go to London for a commentary gig.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see both sides.
Bill can be an acquired taste. He may argue about
a strategy with co- commentators. He can over explain.
Sometimes talks over the other guy.
God help them if a co-commentator isn't knowledgeable
Billy will roast 'em, which I love. He is at his best
with another expert.
I can set all that aside because I love to hear his
ideas and thoughts on the game, especially one pocket!

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say no to Ra Hanna. I appreciate his enthusiasm and think he is good in one on one player interviews, but his overly hyped style really starts to grate before long when doing match commentary.