Glue for cuetips?

Grandslam

Registered
What is the best glue to use when putting on tips? What size tip to order if your cue has a 12.75mm tip? Going to try and do myself, thanks for your time.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
What is the best glue to use when putting on tips? What size tip to order if your cue has a 12.75mm tip? Going to try and do myself, thanks for your time.

Locktite Ultra Gel control... I always buy 14mm tips because they are the same price and that size should cover most as I can trim them down to fit.. For you, a 13mm should work.

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Yep. That's the stuff.
Most people get 14mm tips and trim them to fit. Trying to match a tip exactly to a ferrule is not easy.

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It's good stuff, but won't stick very long to the cheap high temp plastic ferrule from china. Especially if used for breaking. 3m CA40 will adhere to the cheap high temp plastics, and to everything else. BUT more importantly is the prep work to the tip and ferrule surfaces before hand. Layered tips and most softer one piece tips suck the glue in faster than you can apply it, and therefore result in a bad glue joint and subject to failure shortly down the road. . If you use the Search function, there are several pages on the tips and tricks to do this job properly. The glue is just one piece.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
It's good stuff, but won't stick very long to the cheap high temp plastic ferrule from china. Especially if used for breaking. 3m CA40 will adhere to the cheap high temp plastics, and to everything else. BUT more importantly is the prep work to the tip and ferrule surfaces before hand. Layered tips and most softer one piece tips suck the glue in faster than you can apply it, and therefore result in a bad glue joint and subject to failure shortly down the road. . If you use the Search function, there are several pages on the tips and tricks to do this job properly. The glue is just one piece.
Dave

chinese and other players cues.......... I just change the ferrule because the tip will pop off shortly.............

Kim

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
chinese and other players cues.......... I just change the ferrule because the tip will pop off shortly.............

Kim

gets expensive to absorb the cost of the change, and if you pass it on to the customer, they don't want to pay for a ferrule change and say a $$ kamui tip..... on a $125 cue.
I also don't change a ferrule without letting the customer know that I am, as quite a few of my regulars would know it in a heart beat. Instead, I have listened to some great guys, and listened, and then refined what I do for prep and have researched what glues work for what type of materials. I also DO NOT score or put crosscuts in the face of the ferrule, nor do I drill holes thru them either, that is IMHO, doing a hack job rather then learning the right ways to do it.
Everyone has their ways, and I stand tall by mine.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer Loctite 401 or 454, seems to work with just about every combination I have come across.
On some types of break tips, I do prefer to use Scotch weld if the customer can wait a day to get his or her shaft back.

Last edited: