Switched to harder tip and started to play bad

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once it is in your head- which this obviously is now- I would go back to a tip you are most comfortable with already. I guarantee you, until you go back, you will blame every poor performance on that newer tip.

What he said!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your only problem is overrunning position, try hitting a quarter tip lower on the cue ball. In my experience, all the shots that can be made with one tip can be made with another, unless you are trying to get some large bit of masse going on. I have 6 different tips on 6 different cues, all of them play about the same though, slight adjustments do have to be made, but they are almost unconscious after the first couple of balls.. The only tip I ever put on that I didn't like was a Kamui Hard. Was very hard indeed.

With respect, this is pretty bad advice. Tip position equals cueball path. If you’re not changing the cueball path, don’t change the tip position. The only real difference going from tip to tip is the amount of force required for various shots.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?

It is sad that the price of tip replacement has become an "investment" topic". But everything has a "fleecing" factor involved.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?
I’ve played with a Sniper tip for years and it’s my favorite tip (personal preference of course). I’ve tried a lot of different tips especially since I’ve had my own cue lathe for many years and I’ve settled on the Sniper as my favorite.
What I’ve learned about it is it takes maybe 2 weeks (depending on how much you play) for it to break in. Mine start a little soft and go to what I’d consider a medium hard after they break in.
It sounds like you were so used to your old tip it’s going take a little time for you to adjust to the Sniper plus getting it broken in. Don’t give up on it because I think you’ll like it once you break it in and get used to it.