Streaming

thehammer37

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want to buy a new video camera to stream some local tournaments with, something I can go to bestbuy and pick up, any suggestions?

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Right now, my thoughts are that buying a used, older video camera that is mini-DV with a firewire connection is best. I have a newer, USB-based video camera that saves in MP4 format that doesn't perform as well as my older mini-DV camera.

I bought one a few months ago on Craigslist for under $200 and it performs well.

However, if you want a camera that you can use for other activities besides streaming, you can buy a decent video camera for under $300. Having a beefy computer also helps in terms of processing the video.

Good luck!

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
A good value is a logitech 9000 webcam. Really good quality with zoom capability for 80 clams.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Im not sure how ideal this is for streaming, but the Canon HG20 is the best bang for the buck in the consumer grade HD department. I got mine for about $600 brand new. It comes with a 60 gb harddrive that can store about 20+ hours of HD footage on it, it does 30p, and the picture quality is pretty decent.

I mean, its still a consumer grade camcorder, but its probably the best cheap one you can get for under $1200.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HG20-Camcorder-Review-35510.htm#

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member

I believe that would work fine. You wouldn't be using the USB for streaming though (most likely). It has a firewire (i-Link) port that would be more ideal in my opinion. In fact, BigTruck has a very similar video camera (a DCR-HC38 I believe) that he uses to stream on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bigtruck (also has a USB port he doesn't use)... check out the quality there if you like. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out as well. We did have to turn off the "demo mode" on his camera, but everything else was very straight-forward. If you're in Texas, he has a Waco tournament this Saturday which he will be streaming (to the link above).

For web streaming, you don't need anything super fancy unless you really have great bandwidth. Even TAR broadcasts at only (320x260) I believe, nowhere near HD. If you are able to get one used, you can save a lot of money.

What I look for today in video camera for streaming (low budget):

FireWire
Tripod Mount
External Power Source

Other than that, I think just about any will do. I use an old JVC Mini-DV camcorder myself. A beefy computer helps as well. As more people get wired and as technology changes (say 4G upload speeds next year) my opinion may change.

Last edited: