Pool game with innings or even shooting

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing a much weaker player in practice one night a week.I spot him the 7-8-9 in 9 ball for a even match.Even though this is a fair game he hates it because I get much more shooting in.Can anybody point me to a game variation where we both shoot equally? He does not care about losing,just getting more shots at the table on a given night.14.1,9 ball,or 8 ball are all fine.And he also hates me locking him up with safety play.No gambling,just friendly practice with me giving tips if asked.......Just thinking out loud ,but offering him a push out or shot give back every shot would eliminate safety play.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing a much weaker player in practice one night a week.I spot him the 7-8-9 in 9 ball for a even match.Even though this is a fair game he hates it because I get much more shooting in.Can anybody point me to a game variation where we both shoot equally? He does not care about losing,just getting more shots at the table on a given night.14.1,9 ball,or 8 ball are all fine.And he also hates me locking him up with safety play.No gambling,just friendly practice with me giving tips if asked.......Just thinking out loud ,but offering him a push out or shot give back every shot would eliminate safety play.

Equal offense
Bowlliards

Those are a couple that come to mind. :thumbup:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bowliards would work for you. Gist of the game is you rack 10 balls, break, then shoot the 10 balls in in any order (some take ball in hand after the break). If you miss once, count the number of balls made and score it (for example you make 8 balls, with two left, would be an 8 for your first ball, or if you make all 10 that would be a strike) then shoot again trying to make the remaining balls. If you finish out you mark a spare. Score is kept like a bowling match. Use the search function here for more in depth rules. Great game to see progress and you can handicap it by giving so many points.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some possible spots:

He starts with ball in hand each inning.

He gets two or three turns to your one.

You play three and stop at 14.1.

You bank the odd balls at eight ball.

You play opposite-handed.

You play "call position" (one shot ahead) at 14.1.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Additionally:

Q-Skills
FARGO

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's not leave out a great game that develops many skills found in a variety of games like 9 ball you are currently playing.

American Rotation.

Grab one of the free American Rotation apps that work wonderfully and easy to use on your iPad or smart phone - or even paper scoring if you wish to go that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Semi serious here, but how about 1P? Give him a fair spot, or even slightly in his favor. It'll challenge you and he'll get more times at the table. He might not like his shot selections, but at least if you aren't able to run the game out, he'll have more chances at the table. If you are really heads and shoulders above him, you can take either the 2 center pockets and he gets all the corners, but this is no longer 1p. LOL. Give that a try. Good Luck.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
4 Ball is what I cooked up when I was looking for what sounds like similar ground rules
as what you’re looking for. This format gives the equal opportunity to score along with
forcing a must for cue ball control, there are boundaries. You being the stronger player
will find ways to discuss pattern possibilities, show and shoot identical racks and score
the shooting outcome.

Click the signature link > Tuesday drill gives you an image play by play,
the “quick straight rack” link gives you a way to give it a go with what you have.

There are ways to take weight for a weaker players, chances are though once the
weaker player picks it up, the gist of it, will like the idea of narrowing the gap of your win.
This game gives a clear picture of who the best overall player is, not just ones shooting ability.

If this fits something that you're looking for and having questions I can get into more
of the particulars with you, enjoy,
Dan

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No spot and every time he comes to the table or after he breaks he gets BIH.

No early 9's, spot it.

This would help him think of his pattern play more.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Stripes & Solids

It's like 8-ball except:

You rotate shooting. I shoot one shot, you shoot one shoot, and so on.

First one to pocket all of their group wins. (the 8-ball is only on the table as a blocker and to make a full rack for breaking).

Each player has their own cue ball, so there are two cue balls on the table (yours and mine). Otherwise you could pocket a ball and leave him hooked. This way, if he's hooked it's his own fault. However, you can leave your CB in your opponent's way.

You can choose to shoot the 8-ball to move your opponent's balls or for combos and such. The 8-ball is spotted if it's pocketed.

If necessary, you can handicap the game that he only needs to pocket x-number of balls to win compared to you needing all seven.

The game will be slightly less satisfying for you, but lots more satisfying for your friend.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would suggest play Scotch doubles with your friend....just the two of you.
I think he will get to understand the game more quickly....
....and you can try to play your best....with him cheering for you.

I can't think of a better way to do a playing lesson.

If he doesn't hit a ball very well....he is going to have to work on that....
....nobody can do it for him.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bowliards would work for you. Gist of the game is you rack 10 balls, break, then shoot the 10 balls in in any order (some take ball in hand after the break). If you miss once, count the number of balls made and score it (for example you make 8 balls, with two left, would be an 8 for your first ball, or if you make all 10 that would be a strike) then shoot again trying to make the remaining balls. If you finish out you mark a spare. Score is kept like a bowling match. Use the search function here for more in depth rules. Great game to see progress and you can handicap it by giving so many points.

Yes, this is a great suggestion. Great game too!