Mezz United joint Pin???

RBC

Deceased
The Mezz United pin a a little different than most others, but the specs are basically very close or the same as a 5/16-14. I know that our 5/16-14 inserted shafts will fit on them. It's not exactly the same as the original United shafts, but it's close.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The Mezz United Joint is a QR 14 thread.
Any standard 14 thread insert should fit it.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread, but just for fun i just tried my standard Joss shaft on my Mezz with United joint, and that did not work, But the other way - Mezz united joint shaft on a Joss butt works, but it`s an extremely tight fit.
When comparing the threads between Joss and Mezz, The mezz threads seems sharper than the Joss threads.
So It is indeed right to say that the United Joint is Mezz propriatary 5/16x14 thread.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Deep Impact Shaft from a Mezz Power Break 2, didn't fit on a Joss butt, indeed the Z2 shaft with a 5/16x14 from my Joss cue fit the MP 2 butt.

thubosky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a mezz wx900 with the united joint. Does anyone know if it will fit on my original ob break butt? The brass collar on the ob break shaft is a small one so I'm not sure if it will fit or not?!????

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pilot that sticks out of the Mezz shaft is too long and will not fit into the OB break butt.

I ordered a mezz wx900 with the united joint. Does anyone know if it will fit on my original ob break butt? The brass collar on the ob break shaft is a small one so I'm not sure if it will fit or not?!????

jollysailor

Registered
Just had some brass inserts come in but the united pins could not even go into the inserts which were 5/16-14. Probably due to the difference in the minor diameter. If the brass inserts come with a slightly bigger minor diameter, they may probably fit.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had some brass inserts come in but the united pins could not even go into the inserts which were 5/16-14. Probably due to the difference in the minor diameter. If the brass inserts come with a slightly bigger minor diameter, they may probably fit.

The standard brass inserts offered are good for 5/16x14 screws that are actually .308 or less in o.d. diameter. Mezz, Black Boar and Tascarella use a full 5/16 screw. .312. The new Joss cues are next at .310. Inserts need to be made according to the spec provided in the screw.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Run a tap through the insert or ream .312" then tap.
Or order brass blanks from Atlas next time and do the threading yourself :smile:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That better be some .360"+ screw.

I don't remember the measurement right now, but I have to bore out quite a bit of material from the regular brass inserts before I ream. I think Viking wants $12 for the inserts, that's not gonna happen...

jollysailor

Registered
After looking at some of the sharing, I went ahead to try boring and modifying the 5/16-14 brass insert. I was a little skeptical if the tool bits will be able to do the job. But I approached it slowly and thin passes.

Well, thank you guys for the sharing. Managed to modify the brass insert to fit the United pins now. Can continue with some of the jobs!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After looking at some of the sharing, I went ahead to try boring and modifying the 5/16-14 brass insert. I was a little skeptical if the tool bits will be able to do the job. But I approached it slowly and thin passes.

Well, thank you guys for the sharing. Managed to modify the brass insert to fit the United pins now. Can continue with some of the jobs!

What size you bore it to?