How to Find the Perfect Pool Stance

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new YouTube video in which I demonstrate "textbook" or "orthodox" pool and snooker stances and offer advice and techniques to help an individual find their own perfect stance. Here it is:

How to Find the Perfect Pool/Snooker/Billiards Stance

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Did I leave out anything important?

Do you think I represented anything incorrectly?

Thank you in advance for the feedback,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new YouTube video in which I demonstrate "textbook" or "orthodox" pool and snooker stances and offer advice and techniques to help an individual find their own perfect stance. Here it is:

Dave
FYI, here are the additional resources mentioned in the video:

Earlier videos dealing with the stance:
- stance fundamentals
- things people do wrong with the stance

Additional supporting resources dealing with important related topics:
- stance FAQ resource page
- advantages of a low stance
- fundamentals “best practices” check-sheet
- pre-shot routine
- vision center
- stroke fundamentals

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thank you! At my age (75) and height (6'3") I do bend my knees with a wider stance..

Left eye has macular degeration, so I don't place the cue directly under my chin.

The point? Stance can and should be an individual thing. So glad you brought that up.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stopped watching after the part where you said, ideally, weight distributed equally between both feet.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stance

Thank you Dr. Dave! Great stuff!

I'm frustrated that I don't have this totally solved. When I played many hours a day it was never a problem, but these days I have struggled with a couple of things.

First of all, my vision center is very far to the left, but not totally under my left eye. I am a right handed player. I use a more traditional pool stance. I have tried the snooker stance but I do struggle with timing and power, and also distance from the table. For whatever reason I keep coming back to the pool stance. OK, fine, it should work. But my challenge is that while when I am standing up I am sighting the ball correctly under my vision center, it's easy to get off line as I drop into the shot. In other words since my left leg is stepping forward and to the left it is easy for my balance to shift a little to the left and for my eyes to slide out of line. Sometimes I solve this by placing my left foot, then sighting upright again, then making sure I come straight down, but it seems a little clumsy.

My other big challenge is with elevated shots. It doesn't help that I'm 5'7", but Varner and Pagulyan can do it. I haven't figured out the best stance. Do I move my front foot forward, then kick my back foot out and behind me? I don't know what's best, and it's really hard sighting when my body is elevated.

The only solution I've come up with is to shoot lots of drills that require great sighting, elevation, and so on. I just try to outwork it. But I know if I had a better set up I'd play better.

I'll read the rest of your resources and keep practicing. Much appreciated!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you! At my age (75) and height (6'3") I do bend my knees with a wider stance..

Left eye has macular degeration, so I don't place the cue directly under my chin.

The point? Stance can and should be an individual thing. So glad you brought that up.
Thank you for the comments.

Stance can be very "individual," but many individuals seem to have trouble finding the best solution.

I hope the video helps some of those people,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't hear anything about ''torso weight''.
Good point. Somebody with a heavy torso is probably even less suited to a "textbook" or "orthodox" stance, with lots of waist bend. A wider stance and more knee bend would definitely be better for these people.

Or did you have other ideas in mind?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I stopped watching after the part where you said, ideally, weight distributed equally between both feet.
I assume you are making a point that some (if not many) people have more weight on the back foot, and I agree with you. But I looked through many books and online resources before I filmed the video to make sure I adequately represented what most people think are the "generally recommended" "textbook" or "orthodox" pool and snooker stances.

Also, I clearly state and demonstrate in several places in the video how things need to be customized for each individual.

I hope you can find the desire and patience to watch the remainder of the video.

Regards, and thanks for the comment,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave! Great stuff!
You're welcome ... and thank you. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

I'm frustrated that I don't have this totally solved. When I played many hours a day it was never a problem, but these days I have struggled with a couple of things.

First of all, my vision center is very far to the left, but not totally under my left eye. I am a right handed player. I use a more traditional pool stance. I have tried the snooker stance but I do struggle with timing and power, and also distance from the table. For whatever reason I keep coming back to the pool stance. OK, fine, it should work. But my challenge is that while when I am standing up I am sighting the ball correctly under my vision center, it's easy to get off line as I drop into the shot. In other words since my left leg is stepping forward and to the left it is easy for my balance to shift a little to the left and for my eyes to slide out of line. Sometimes I solve this by placing my left foot, then sighting upright again, then making sure I come straight down, but it seems a little clumsy.
You might try placing both feet before the shot, and practice bringing your head straight down, as I demonstrate in the video. You might also try the "mirror stance chicken dance" that I demonstrate.

My other big challenge is with elevated shots. It doesn't help that I'm 5'7", but Varner and Pagulyan can do it. I haven't figured out the best stance. Do I move my front foot forward, then kick my back foot out and behind me? I don't know what's best, and it's really hard sighting when my body is elevated.

The only solution I've come up with is to shoot lots of drills that require great sighting, elevation, and so on. I just try to outwork it. But I know if I had a better set up I'd play better.
FYI, some good advice for this can be found here:

elevated cue effects and advice

I'll read the rest of your resources and keep practicing. Much appreciated!
I like when people do their "homework." I hope you find some things that are helpful.

Regards,
Dave

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Good info dr. dave. I try to keep my back leg straight with the cue over that toe.
Whether or not that happens might be questionable but it's my thought process.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Good point. Somebody with a heavy torso is probably even less suited to a "textbook" or "orthodox" stance, with lots of waist bend. A wider stance and more knee bend would definitely be better for these people.

Or did you have other ideas in mind?

Thanks,
Dave

Teeter totter torso tummy.

Like a teeter totter, when one bends over forward to lay their bridge hand on the surface to address the shot, one also offsets this forward movement by sticking their back side outward...........................

Here's how I explain the OP.

To me, just saying ''weight between the feet'' is VERY misleading to the end user/student. One must 1st explain what ''WBTF'' really means. Also using the word Orthodox/textbook/terminology to explain stance is vague.

First, I ask my students if they have ever sat on a 3 legged chair, and I also mention to them how stable it is to sit in, especially on an uneven surface.

Next I tell them/like that chair, your body also has 3 weight bearing points to be ''aware'' of. One weight point for each foot, and one weight point for your torso. Two of your weight points physically touch the ground.

When they are down on the shot I make them....Very Aware of where their torso center of weight ''IS''. Their 3rd leg.

The 3rd legs weight, is it left of center, right, is it too forward or too rearward? Is it centered between your leg spread? Will it allow your bridge hand to flop on the play surface and bear no ''weight''.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good info dr. dave. I try to keep my back leg straight with the cue over that toe.
Whether or not that happens might be questionable but it's my thought process.
This is certainly the "textbook" approach, but it isn't the best answer for all people, especially tall people like me.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Teeter totter torso tummy.

Like a teeter totter, when one bends over forward to lay their bridge hand on the surface to address the shot, one also offsets this forward movement by sticking their back side outward...........................

Here's how I explain the OP.

To me, just saying ''weight between the feet'' is VERY misleading to the end user/student. One must 1st explain what ''WBTF'' really means. Also using the word Orthodox/textbook/terminology to explain stance is vague.

First, I ask my students if they have ever sat on a 3 legged chair, and I also mention to them how stable it is to sit in, especially on an uneven surface.

Next I tell them/like that chair, your body also has 3 weight bearing points to be ''aware'' of. One weight point for each foot, and one weight point for your torso. Two of your weight points physically touch the ground.

When they are down on the shot I make them....Very Aware of where their torso center of weight ''IS''. Their 3rd leg.

The 3rd legs weight, is it left of center, right, is it too forward or too rearward? Is it centered between your leg spread? Will it allow your bridge hand to flop on the play surface and bear no ''weight''.
Thanks Bill.

It sounds like you are saying: The center of gravity of your torso should be fairly centered between your feet, and the weight on the feet should be balanced front (toes) to back (heels). Would you say that's an accurate summary of your approach?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave

Dave

Very interesting, thanks for the video.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Look forward to watching it.

I knew my stance wasn't set-up the best. Yesterday I tweaked it a little and made it more stable and I believe I was shooting better because of it. But I only hit around 12 shots. Gonna work on that tonight.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Dave
Does anybody else have any feedback, disagreements, or different "takes" concerning the video contents?

Thanks,
Dave

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooker has the best cue artists in the world with super straight strokes. Every one of them have weight distributed equally.
Balance is the harbinger of stillness which results in perfect stroke mechanics not just in the first 10 minutes of practice/playing...but in hour #3 when typically, fundamentals start to break down. That was the first thing my coach, Lee Brett, taught me in lesson number 1. Achieve balance.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Thanks Bill.

It sounds like you are saying: The center of gravity of your torso should be fairly centered between your feet, and the weight on the feet should be balanced front (toes) to back (heels). Would you say that's an accurate summary of your approach?

Regards,
Dave

To put it simply, 1/3 of your weight displaced to each leg (3).