How to Find the Perfect Pool Stance

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Find some good looking girl to do the shots so we can practice concentration at the same time :p

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooker has the best cue artists in the world with super straight strokes. Every one of them have weight distributed equally.
Balance is the harbinger of stillness which results in perfect stroke mechanics not just in the first 10 minutes of practice/playing...but in hour #3 when typically, fundamentals start to break down. That was the first thing my coach, Lee Brett, taught me in lesson number 1. Achieve balance.
Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Dave

Bryce1552

Registered
great video went easy on myself and stopped forcing my larger frame (6'3 200lbs) into the orthodox stance and just let me knee bend a bit after watching your video, its a world of difference shooting a lot better without my hamstring feeling like its in a vice.

I'm not sure how ol' Mark Wilson does it he's a similar build to me and makes it look so natural. He's book has been instrumental in developing my stroke as I just took up pool about two weeks ago but a cookie cutter stance certainly isn't for everyone as you mentioned in your video.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video Dave. I would point that textbook Snooker stance is now little different IMO. Back leg knee is not fully "locked". Almost though.

Btw. Why you disable comments from Facebook? People giving a hard time? :(
I often would like to throw a comment there but If I want I have get off from FB and go into YouTube and comment there. Youtube link via facebook is not logged in..

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It sounds like you are saying: The center of gravity of your torso should be fairly centered between your feet, and the weight on the feet should be balanced front (toes) to back (heels). Would you say that's an accurate summary of your approach?
To put it simply, 1/3 of your weight displaced to each leg (3).
Thanks Bill.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
great video went easy on myself and stopped forcing my larger frame (6'3 200lbs) into the orthodox stance and just let me knee bend a bit after watching your video, its a world of difference shooting a lot better without my hamstring feeling like its in a vice.
I'm glad to hear it.

I'm not sure how ol' Mark Wilson does it he's a similar build to me and makes it look so natural. He's book has been instrumental in developing my stroke as I just took up pool about two weeks ago but a cookie cutter stance certainly isn't for everyone as you mentioned in your video.
I agree. To me, the most unusual thing about Mark's "orthodox" stance is the front foot being perpendicular to the shot line. It seems to me that this would be comfortable only for people who are duck-footed, or who had their stance really closed.

Thanks for the comments,
Dave

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Does anybody else have any feedback, disagreements, or different "takes" concerning the video contents?

Thanks,
Dave

I have some feedback.

You are instructing people to find the "perfect" pool stance, but throughout the entire nine minutes of the video you are demonstrating the same shot over and over again.

I'm no pool expert nor do I have a degree in anything but life experiences, but even I know that are numerous stances needed in shooting a game of pool.

Maybe also a video showing the "perfect" pool stance for the many different shots the game of pool will make you take.

After the first 1:05 of the video I pretty much determined that there really is no such animal as a "perfect stance".

FWIW, I love your instructional videos and am certain they have helped many, many pool players improve their knowledge and abilities of the game, including myself. Thank you for doing them.

Just my opinion...you asked for it. :thumbup:

Maniac

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video Dave.
Thanks.

I would point that textbook Snooker stance is now little different IMO. Back leg knee is not fully "locked". Almost though.
Thank you for letting me know. I probably should have tried to find a snooker person to help me with the "textbook snooker stance" part of the video (although, I did look at several books and many YouTube videos before planning this part of my video).

Btw. Why you disable comments from Facebook? People giving a hard time? :(
I often would like to throw a comment there but If I want I have get off from FB and go into YouTube and comment there. Youtube link via facebook is not logged in..
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this, but I just changed a bunch of my settings. You and other non-friends should be able to post comments now. BTW, if you want to be a Facebook friend, send me a PM or Facebook message with your Facebook name and I'll find an inactive friend to delete and send you a request.

Thanks again,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have some feedback.

You are instructing people to find the "perfect" pool stance, but throughout the entire nine minutes of the video you are demonstrating the same shot over and over again.

I'm no pool expert nor do I have a degree in anything but life experiences, but even I know that are numerous stances needed in shooting a game of pool.

Maybe also a video showing the "perfect" pool stance for the many different shots the game of pool will make you take.
Did you see the "Stance Variations" part of the video starting at the 7:03 point? IMO, as long as the head and forearm are in the right place, and the cue moves straight, then the stance is perfect. And even if nothing is "perfect," but the cue tip hits the CB at the desired point in the desired direction consistently, then the stance is quite acceptable.

After the first 1:05 of the video I pretty much determined that there really is no such animal as a "perfect stance".
That's a main point of my video. Each person needs to customize the stance to meet their specific situation. Did you see the "wet noodle stance chicken dance" section of the video starting at the 5:11 point? The point of this to to help people find their personalized "perfect stance."

FWIW, I love your instructional videos and am certain they have helped many, many pool players improve their knowledge and abilities of the game, including myself. Thank you for doing them.
You're welcome ... and thank you! I appreciate the feedback and supportive comments.

Just my opinion...you asked for it. :thumbup:
I hope others will also share their opinions and disagreements.

Regards,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

Thank you for letting me know. I probably should have tried to find a snooker person to help me with the "textbook snooker stance" part of the video (although, I did look at several books and many YouTube videos before planning this part of my video).

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this, but I just changed a bunch of my settings. You and other non-friends should be able to post comments now. BTW, if you want to be a Facebook friend, send me a PM or Facebook message with your Facebook name and I'll find an inactive friend to delete and send you a request.

Thanks again,
Dave

Year ago, I think I tried to send friend request but you probably thought it is a spam or something :D...

Edit:
My name is Matti Väyrynen. You have reached 5k friends says Facebook. So it have to be you who sends friend request. :smile:
(10 mutual friends)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Year ago, I think I tried to send friend request but you probably thought it is a spam or something :D...

Edit:
My name is Matti Väyrynen. You have reached 5k friends says Facebook. So it have to be you who sends friend request. :smile:
(10 mutual friends)
FYI, I just opened up a spot and sent you a Friend request, so if you accept we can now be friends. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. Can we name the section starting around 5:50 the Dr Dave Dance?

The most interesting problem to me, especially with newer players is getting them to find the stance that is most comfortable and consistent when they are tired or the various pains develop during a match.

They start off using one stance when they are fresh, but it slowly begins to change as the match wears on and they try to accommodate to ease the pain.

As you said in the video, it took you some time to arrive at a consistent stance that help avoid the long term pains. Trying to remember the least painful stance when fresh is hard, as you do not remember what it was and do not recognize all the adjustments made in arriving at it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dr. Dave demonstrating the ideal stroke:

PtNsl-.gif

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I call that the "wet noodle dance," used to help find the natural shoulder, elbow, forearm, and wrist positions.

Even better is the Dr. Dave "chicken dance" starting at the 6:04 point in the video. That's useful to help find your "perfect" feet, knee, hip, body, neck, and head positions.

The most interesting problem to me, especially with newer players is getting them to find the stance that is most comfortable and consistent when they are tired or the various pains develop during a match.

They start off using one stance when they are fresh, but it slowly begins to change as the match wears on and they try to accommodate to ease the pain.

As you said in the video, it took you some time to arrive at a consistent stance that help avoid the long term pains. Trying to remember the least painful stance when fresh is hard, as you do not remember what it was and do not recognize all the adjustments made in arriving at it.
Well stated. Although, after a little dedicated practice, the "perfect" stance should be automatic and be used over the entire duration of playing.

Regards,
Dave

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One suggestion is to add something geared towards women players. Yes, in the same principles apply, but I have personally found a better willingness to work on this aspect when it is directed towards them and how to compensate for their anatomy.