AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this post from the owner of Buffalo's in New Orleans

He might put up 10k and let Dennis try to break the 626 :eek:

Capture.PNG

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
It wouldn't surprise me even a little, if Dennis pulled it off.
Efren either in his prime.
Money will motivate people who can, but who normally wouldn't be interested.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It wouldn't surprise me even a little, if Dennis pulled it off.
Efren either in his prime.
Money will motivate people who can, but who normally wouldn't be interested.

It would surprise me a lot. Though he runs a lot of balls at DCC, 260 this year on tough tables, Dennis has very limited experience playing straight pool. He definitely has the stamina and the ability to concentrate for the length of a very long run, but I just don't see it happening.

The list of pros who play straight pool year round is a short one indeed and I just can't see anyone who doesn't play loads of straight pool exceeding John's run. With the straight pool era 35 years in the rear view mirror and so little prize money available in straight pool today, why should we expect anyone to make such a commitment?

Several have noted that Willie's record lasted over 60 years, and I think John's record may well last as long, maybe even forever unless someone put up a million dollars or there is another straight pool era.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I got nothing against Dennis and it would make for some interesting drama
in the pool world, but I kind of hope he doesn't do this.

I feel like Dennis breaking that record would have the unintended consequence
of keeping John out of the Hall of Fame.

I mean, I have no idea if he's going in there, but I feel confident saying he ISN'T
if the record gets broken by someone else right away.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would surprise me a lot. Though he runs a lot of balls at DCC, 260 this year on tough tables, Dennis has very limited experience playing straight pool. He definitely has the stamina and the ability to concentrate for the length of a very long run, but I just don't see it happening.

The list of pros who play straight pool year round is a short one indeed and I just can't see anyone who doesn't play loads of straight pool exceeding John's run. With the straight pool era 35 years in the rear view mirror and so little prize money available in straight pool today, why should we expect anyone to make such a commitment?

Several have noted that Willie's record lasted over 60 years, and I think John's record may well last as long, maybe even forever unless someone put up a million dollars or there is another straight pool era.

In the 60+ years that Mosconi's record stood, how many SERIOUS attempts were made at besting it?

John's attempts are the only ones I've heard about...where a player dedicated numerous days and hours to the endeavor.

Are there other attempts that we haven't heard about?

If so, do tell.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got nothing against Dennis and it would make for some interesting drama
in the pool world, but I kind of hope he doesn't do this.

I feel like Dennis breaking that record would have the unintended consequence
of keeping John out of the Hall of Fame.

I mean, I have no idea if he's going in there, but I feel confident saying he ISN'T
if the record gets broken by someone else right away.

I hope he does go for it.

Up until John did it, I don't think anybody put enough time into it to see if it was something that could be done.

Now that John has done it, the mystery is gone.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis ran 260 at the Derby on much tighter equipment than the 626 was set on, if he tried for a week it would be very interesting to see what he could do.

I do know the way Dennis pockets balls give him a loose table and a pile of cash if he does it would be fun to sweat :smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the 60+ years that Mosconi's record stood, how many SERIOUS attempts were made at besting it?

John's attempts are the only ones I've heard about...where a player dedicated numerous days and hours to the endeavor.

If so, do tell.

During the straight pool era, many of the top pros played straight pool nearly every day, some of it alone and some of it with an opponent. Beyond the most obvious Babe Cranfield, Gene Nagy and Mike Eufemia are two examples of such players, but there were many others.

I'm with you that in the last thirty years, few top pros have dedicated numerous days at a time to making a really high run.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I listened to the Cue it Up podcast a few days ago where they interviewed John. He mentioned that another pro made what he considered an obnoxious statement about breaking the new 626 record and doing it in a week. John wouldn’t say the name, but maybe it was Dennis. He said most of the other pros, like Thornston, were very respectful and congratulated John, but this one pro was kinda dismissive of it and (at least John thought) greatly underestimated the difficulty of doing it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this post from the owner of Buffalo's in New Orleans

He might put up 10k and let Dennis try to break the 626 :eek:

View attachment 521667

I will tell you there is not question than many in his circle believes he can as have been told such , I'd be surprised that 10k is enough motivation , if someone put up say 50k to anyone who can beat it , I'd bet you would get many trying

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If so, do tell.

I've Earl talk about several pros trying to beat it but gave up for the very reason Stu brought up:

Any ball, any pocket....at any time....lol....sounds easy and it is until you start running balls and get to the next break shot....that is where, as we all know, people, even pros....fall by the waste side.

So, to answer your question in more detail:

All of the 70s, 80s, 90s and most of the top pros of 2000s have "tried" but, not "hard enough". As in, they didn't stop their entire life and try. If all of them had, the record would have fell long ago.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said it before, it will take a 100k reward for a pro that is not in love with straight pool to try a concerted effort. Otherwise, they will stay in bed:) 10k or 20k won't cut it.

IMO:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis ran 260 at the Derby on much tighter equipment than the 626 was set on, if he tried for a week it would be very interesting to see what he could do.

I do know the way Dennis pockets balls give him a loose table and a pile of cash if he does it would be fun to sweat :smile:
I calculated that John was about 25% to run 100 from any open shot in the format he was playing. I think Dennis might be 30% or 35% on loose equipment based on his intensity and success at DCC. In order to run 600+, Dennis will need about 1000 starts from zero. I think that will take more than a week, and in the process Dennis will run 300+ 20 or 30 times.

Or, he might catch lightning in a bottle the first hour. John's 626 was a serious outlier seeing as how he has never run a 500 and you could expect about four 500s before his first 600, statistically.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up until John broke the record, players were in awe because Willie owned it and he was "The Man", "The Myth", "The Legend".

Many players probably thought they could never run as many balls as Willie because Willie was "The Man" and he couldn't get beyond 526 and that became the "Magical Number".

Now that John has the record, there are probably many pros out there who don't necessarily think John is now "The Man" because they have beaten him before or they are rated higher in the world in the bigger scheme of pool.

Pandora's Box has now been opened. No longer does a "God" hold the record...a mortal man, John, does.

There may be more attempts to break John's record than were ever seriously tried to break Willie's.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope someone puts up much bigger money. If they do, well, 14.1 would have a chance at becoming the popular game in rooms all of the country, the way it "should".

I like John but, I like 14.1 more...lol.

I hope it happens and I also hope John, while he is in "his 14.1 zone", throws his hat in the ring and tries to "best himself"....

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Lot of goofy talk here, as always. If it's so easy, why didn't Dennis come out before this with the claim he can break it? Good luck...

All the best,
WW

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said it before, it will take a 100k reward for a pro that is not in love with straight pool to try a concerted effort. Otherwise, they will stay in bed:) 10k or 20k won't cut it.

IMO:)
Buffalo very well might be just paying Dennis 10k to try and do it , i am not sure about that.

I am pretty sure if the offer is 10k guaranteed Dennis would have no problem spending a week attempting to do it.