APA e-mails are up, is the APA in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Are no more leagues really that bad? Replace them with local events and tournaments. I'd take a local / national pool tour over leagues.

I'm assuming that you are a really good player so eliminating leagues would not affect you. However, what about lower tier players that are just being introduced to competitive pool? A banger is not going to enter more than one tourney without being completely overwhelmed by the talent gap between them and the lowest level regular tourney player. Leagues/APA does a fantastic job of introducing beginners to "real" pool.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignorance? I think you mean ability to spot scams. It may be great for the LO's to make cash and people that love their participation trophies..maybe free t-shirts. Most players that play well won't play because they prefere cash league like BCA, NAPA, VNEA, TAP or in-house leagues. Your percentage of top local players that play APA are single digits at best. They don't want to deal people *****ing about how many innings a game was or whether or not a shot was a defense...save that for the newbies. You should get out more

Why does everything have to be all about money with some of you people? I mean really.... How much money are you going to make on a valley League, or a BCA League, or a tap League? Does it make your penis swell up every time you win 30 bucks at a mini tournament? How about fifty or a hundred bucks per session on Valley League?

I play pool because I enjoy it. I don't give a damn if I win a dime. If I win enough to pay for my entry fee, drinks, food, and basically break even for the night, I'm happy as a clam. If I don't win anything, I'm happy as a clam. I just like to play.

Rackem & Weep

Registered
RE: Negative APA Comments

We all have our reasons for playing or NOT playing league pool, but it is interesting to me to see all of the comments with negativity about league pool.
Leagues are the healthiest segment in the pool universe.
You can't "WISH" for the pool to grow and improve for all players without continued growth and popularity of league pool. "A rising tide raises all ships".
The majority of manufacturers in the pool industry would suffer dramatically without league player revenue. We're not getting draft notices... it's an individual choice to play league or not. Have your opinions, but why knock something that is good for pool and the growth of pool in general.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the issue and the APA is being unethical, possibly breaking anti spam laws.

I went back into my account and noticed that the toggle was back on for "I would like to receive more information via email". Turns out, this toggle always resets itself to true/on.

If this was 1999 I'd understand, but bugs like these don't happen unintentionally in 2019. I'm pretty sure that for all of us no amount of lies will fool any of us on that regardless of which site is spamming.

This behavior bothers me maybe a little bit more than most, but when you know they are choosing to do this just for pure profit and not for your actual concerns, it becomes disheartening for my types. I will see what I can do to have them put on as many blacklists/filters for blockers as I can (although this really never helps).

APA is Spam. Off topic, but if anyone knows of a good botnet service of recent (I prefer Russian over Chinese), let me know.

heisenbug

Registered
We all have our reasons for playing or NOT playing league pool, but it is interesting to me to see all of the comments with negativity about league pool.
Leagues are the healthiest segment in the pool universe.
You can't "WISH" for the pool to grow and improve for all players without continued growth and popularity of league pool. "A rising tide raises all ships".
The majority of manufacturers in the pool industry would suffer dramatically without league player revenue. We're not getting draft notices... it's an individual choice to play league or not. Have your opinions, but why knock something that is good for pool and the growth of pool in general.

I agree with this. It's always weird to me when people try to enforce their kind of fun on others. "Others should do this or that", when usually reflecting on self is more productive. People will do what they do, and the more esoteric any fandom gets, the more weird that arguments get.

You'll have people wearing the same manufactured plastic pointy ears at a sci-fi/fantasy convention, but if one person is dressed as a Vulcan and the other as an Elf, they'll both look at each other as a moron for dressing "wrong".

Chevy vs. Ford guys will put each other's love down, but even if you get two Ford guys together they'll probably argue about the right model of Ford that's better, and if you find two guys that like the same model together they'll argue about what year the model was best made.

Mac vs PC vs Linux guys will have arguments about the best operating system, and if you get two Linux guys together they'll argue about the "right" distro of Linux. Hobbies for many seem to be built on people putting others down for liking the "wrong" things.

I have found that it's best for me to ignore the trolls and just love to do what I enjoy doing. I absolutely love the game. I love doing drills. I love tournaments. I love leagues. I don't care about paying to play in leagues, and I don't expect a financial return on my investment into the game. I don't play for money; I play because I love the game, and I'll play it however I can, and learn as much as I can about it. For others, they may enjoy the payout more, they may enjoy the competition aspect, or they may enjoy that feeling of winning. I just love to practice and play, as it's the game itself that I love. So that affects how I choose to consume the game.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Why does everything have to be all about money with some of you people? I mean really.... How much money are you going to make on a valley League, or a BCA League, or a tap League? Does it make your penis swell up every time you win 30 bucks at a mini tournament? How about fifty or a hundred bucks per session on Valley League?

I play pool because I enjoy it. I don't give a damn if I win a dime. If I win enough to pay for my entry fee, drinks, food, and basically break even for the night, I'm happy as a clam. If I don't win anything, I'm happy as a clam. I just like to play.

Amen brother. Truth.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the issue and the APA is being unethical, possibly breaking anti spam laws.

I went back into my account and noticed that the toggle was back on for "I would like to receive more information via email". Turns out, this toggle always resets itself to true/on.

If this was 1999 I'd understand, but bugs like these don't happen unintentionally in 2019. I'm pretty sure that for all of us no amount of lies will fool any of us on that regardless of which site is spamming.

This behavior bothers me maybe a little bit more than most, but when you know they are choosing to do this just for pure profit and not for your actual concerns, it becomes disheartening for my types. I will see what I can do to have them put on as many blacklists/filters for blockers as I can (although this really never helps).

APA is Spam. Off topic, but if anyone knows of a good botnet service of recent (I prefer Russian over Chinese), let me know.

Because I know you didn't ask, I asked for you. All "new" apps go through a lifecycle like this - lots of bugs that have to be worked out. I don't know why you find it so hard to believe, it seems to be the way software is developed now, very little testing, let the user find the bugs. Amazon, Facebook, eBay, they all went through similar cycles. It takes years to have a "stable", non-simple app that people want to use.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Video of Scott Lee missing a ball in hand shot from 2 feet away, testing the rails with a variety of misses, scratching and playing jam up shape.

If you can't do....teach.
Just wow dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaAJz6G5FY

Yes, something no certified instructor has ever done in a lesson or a game, I'm sure.
When the old Camel Tour was here in the mid 90's I saw Bustemonte miss a ball in hand
against Kunihiko Takahashi back when he was playing world champion speed.
Shit happens, to everyone

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Dude not a month goes by that some league hack doesn't tell me they could have gone pro. I usually just smile and indulge them like they were a delusional child. On occasion I can't stomach it any longer so I offer up the 7 out and all the breaks. Then they start taking about their glove being at the dry cleaners or that only dirtbag pool players bet on pool.

So is this a terribly painful experience to you? Is it hurting you somehow or are they
taking your girl or your money? If they bother you so much why do you put yourself in
a position to be bothered by league bangers? You can't find a table away from people so
you won't be bothered or you can't just say no and walk off? Afraid they might call you a
pussy?
You don't like The APA, I get that, but why do you care what I do or what anyone else
does? Seems to me you kinda like the attention

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously doubt they are in trouble but they deserve to be in trouble after what they pulled at the national tournament.

Apparently there is no viable alternative for low level players.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, something no certified instructor has ever done in a lesson or a game, I'm sure.
When the old Camel Tour was here in the mid 90's I saw Bustemonte miss a ball in hand

Lol that video is hilarious.
Not only did he miss ball in hand, he hit it WAY to hard.
That shot was hit thick so had he hit it good the cueball
would have travelled even farther:)

He wasnt looking at shape on the next shots, tempo
was too quick, terrible speed and cueball control,
poor psr, etc.....

That being said I have made all those mistakes a million
times even though I know better and practice all
of those things.

The video is old. They looked like they were just
fkin' around. Scott has many people who have said
he helped them a great deal. Anyone posting that
video is just being a bit of dik or having a laugh.
I wouldn't take it to seriously.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I seriously doubt they are in trouble but they deserve to be in trouble after what they pulled at the national tournament.

Apparently there is no viable alternative for low level players.

Not really. Low level players aren't that highly valued in most places.
The other pool leagues I'm told are not "good effort" leagues or "try hard" leagues,
they're "do good and win money" leagues. That can be a lot of pressure for us lower
level players. Some of us would just rather play pool as more of a social activity with
an option to get serious if we want. Money changes the whole dynamic, it changes
people, and not always for the better

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member

Unlike APA, many league pay back very well. The last 2 leagues I played on, first paid 2.5 times what was paid in and the other was almost 2x. So instead of the league operator making 3 more payments on their new BMW, the players actually got something in return besides a plastic participation trophy and a t-shirt.
And this is 1st place on each night not lumping teams from every night together, making them play all weekend to award 2-3 places with a prize. Most other league pay out every team some cash back.

Last edited:

Dusty5150

Registered
These APA threads are hilarious! Just like everything else in life, the fact that some people are so consumed by what other people are doing, that has no affect on them, is comical.

If it weren't for APA I probably would not have started playing pool a couple of years ago. The social atmosphere drew me to it, at the time anyway. It got me playing the game that I've grown to love. As I improved over the past couple years, I found that I prefer a more 'competitive' environment, so I found a local cash league and switched a couple of my APA nights to that league. I still play APA once a week, even though I'm now not all that crazy about the rules/format; it's still a super fun night out with friends.

So much negativity and hate in this world already.

oh and it takes what half a second to delete an unwanted email? heck, you don't even have to read it!

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't think you watched the entire video.
This guy is a butcher or was drunk.

Funny he's a world class instructor getting 2k a head for lessons.

You guys are right. It's not all about money. People can blow their money any way they like. And gosh darn it the money supports pool so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.